Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok I was not sure where to post this.. But I was sleeved may 2012 have lost 95lbs, and had my plastics done July 2013. The problem is that as much as they say dumping is not an issue with the sleeve, is there anyone experiencing it?

I have talked to my family dr and he thinks it could be. But I'm his first patient to undergo the sleeve.

My symptoms. Within 15 min of eating (at least 3-4 times a week and each meal in that day) I start feeling sick to my stomach, hot, my sugars get really high, and I'm running to the bathroom and don't dare leave the house.

Then within an hour I get so tired that I go into a coma like state where it is impossible to wake up my brain barely is awake, but can't move if I tried. I get so cold that 10 blankets won't warm me up and my sugars drop really low. Once I do wake up I have to eat right away or I'm soooo shaky and foggy.

I did the two hour blood sugar test, and within the 15 min I ended up sick and taken to the emergency for 4 hours. The results were exactly what I was seeing at home. High sugars and then a full drop. So the outcome was that they think dumping syndrome and to carry sugar pills :/ now my concern is if I don't eat I feel fine ( but that's not healthy either) it doesn't matter what I eat and it still causes the same reaction (protein, fruit, veg, carbs anything..... I don't eat much sugar anyway as I am not fond of the taste)

Another dr sd that he thinks maybe my body hasn't adjusted the insulin levels after weight loss. I'm not sure but I do know I don't like feeling this way and it has only started after having the sleeve. Now I could be the small percent of people that experience it. Lol

I have had two occasions where I experienced this since being sleeved...though not as severe. I did suffer from hyperglycemia prior to losing the weight though, and the doctor attributed those episodes to that.

I have not heard of this --- to this extend and at this level --- before. PLEASE keep us posted as you continue to investigate what this is!!!

Ok I was not sure where to post this.. But I was sleeved may 2012 have lost 95lbs' date=' and had my plastics done July 2013. The problem is that as much as they say dumping is not an issue with the sleeve, is there anyone experiencing it? I have talked to my family dr and he thinks it could be. But I'm his first patient to undergo the sleeve. My symptoms. Within 15 min of eating (at least 3-4 times a week and each meal in that day) I start feeling sick to my stomach, hot, my sugars get really high, and I'm running to the bathroom and don't dare leave the house. Then within an hour I get so tired that I go into a coma like state where it is impossible to wake up my brain barely is awake, but can't move if I tried. I get so cold that 10 blankets won't warm me up and my sugars drop really low. Once I do wake up I have to eat right away or I'm soooo shaky and foggy. I did the two hour blood sugar test, and within the 15 min I ended up sick and taken to the emergency for 4 hours. The results were exactly what I was seeing at home. High sugars and then a full drop. So the outcome was that they think dumping syndrome and to carry sugar pills :/ now my concern is if I don't eat I feel fine ( but that's not healthy either) it doesn't matter what I eat and it still causes the same reaction (Protein, fruit, veg, carbs anything..... I don't eat much sugar anyway as I am not fond of the taste) Another dr sd that he thinks maybe my body hasn't adjusted the insulin levels after weight loss. I'm not sure but I do know I don't like feeling this way and it has only started after having the sleeve. Now I could be the small percent of people that experience it. Lol [/quote']

Same thing happened to me during a blood glucose tolerance test. Dumping. It's super scary. You and I are in the tiny percent!

Avoid foods that make you feel this way. And never let your sugars drop too low. Small meals, small Snacks 3-4 times a day.

My dr also is under the school of thought that there's no such thing as dumping with the sleeve. Every single time I eat ice cream my stomach cramps. I would'nt think that was dumping until a few nite ago. I ate ice cream before bed (yes, I know I'm a slow learner!) and 2 hrs after falling asleep I woke up with severe stomach cramping. For 2 hrs I suffered with cramping and explosive diarrhea (sorry tmi). I promised myself I wouldn't eat ice cream again (not unlike begging God for mercy and promising never to drink again upon vomiting with too much alcohol!) if God got me thru it.

I will probly eat ice cream again (when I forget about how it feels) but not anytime soon.

Wow...I hope this gets better for you.

I haven't experienced this (still preop). But it almost sounds like you might be lactose intolerant. You also might want to look into a gluten intolerance. When we have food allergies but constantly eat the foods we have an intolerance for then our bodies don't always react severely to it. But when our diets have been stripped the way they are with our pre op and post op diets our bodies can have severe reactions to foods that we have always been slightly intolerant of. This is in part because our bodies have and a chance to heal and we no longer have the antibodies to fight against the intolerance. I hope this makes sense....

I know I react now to any dairy so have been dairy free for months. As well as thinking gluten and have went glueten free after I did my blood work. The problem for me is that I can eat something one day and be fine, and the next the exact same meal and react. My dr now says to not just do a exclusionary diet, but to go back to the very very basics and start with only eating rice for a week and add one food back per week..... Sounds easy... But I'm still reacting:/ this is why I'm thinking it is dumping syndrome. After the VGS I had extreme acid reflux that they had to go in with a scope and clean my stomach out.... Then I had another scope in the spring which showed nothing wrong in my stomach but the duadeum had what they called "chronic swelling" they gave me antibiotics for that but never checked after to see if it was still there.

So I'm scared of food:/ the whole idea of having sugar pills terrifies me as I know that sugar already makes me react... So why purposely do that to myself... But then again going into that coma state scares me too. I have never had experience with blood sugars so I have no idea what to do. And the dr is really no help at this point. Lol

Ok so I finally got the actual numbers of my fasting blood test... 2.6 mmol after two hours. I have not experienced this before so am hoping someone can tell me what the best way to deal with this is. I did pick up sugar tablets to carry with me. I have tried googling what the best way to eat with the sleeve is but am really confused with no guidelines on what not to eat. Any suggestions on the best way to control things are.

Michelle that sounds rough. Did you just start to experience this or has it been like this since the beginning for you?

Hi, I started having episodes exactly as you describe in January 2013..I had not even considered the sleeve at that point.. I went through extensive allergy testing which turned up nothing..they diagnosed me with idiopathic anaphylaxis..it's a severe allergic reaction to an unknown source..you get extremely tired due to a histamine overload in your intestines. I now take Zyrtec twice a day, Zantac and carry prednisone, Benadryl and an epi pen(haven't had to use that). I thought it was caused by my body rejecting the band that I had for 2 years but it has happened since I was revised to the sleeve..I hope it turns out to be something different..it is debilitating.

Hi' date=' I started having episodes exactly as you describe in January 2013..I had not even considered the sleeve at that point.. I went through extensive allergy testing which turned up nothing..they diagnosed me with idiopathic anaphylaxis..it's a severe allergic reaction to an unknown source..you get extremely tired due to a histamine overload in your intestines. I now take Zyrtec twice a day, Zantac and carry prednisone, Benadryl and an epi pen(haven't had to use that). I thought it was caused by my body rejecting the band that I had for 2 years but it has happened since I was revised to the sleeve..I hope it turns out to be something different..it is debilitating.[/quote']

Epi-pens are no fun to have or administer. I keep one me because I'm allergic to essentially the world, lol. At least you got a diagnosis! I hope it clears up for you :)

My doctor said dumping is possible with the sleeve.

Michelle that sounds rough. Did you just start to experience this or has it been like this since the beginning for you?

This is all new since I was sleeved. But the more weight I lose the more it happens:/

@@michelleandcolten, I don't know if this is possible near you, but sometimes major hospitals have a special group of doctors that work on difficult cases. Each participant is a different specialty and has input. I know Johns Hopkins in Baltimore had one in the past. I'm hoping you find one closer to where you live.