Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calorie confusion

Ok, on MFP I range from 21 grams of fat to my worst day of 42 (I ate 3 oz of pork steak which even though I cut the fat off MFP still counts it). Here is my program's plan for regular foods (which starts this coming Tuesday for me had I followed their timeline)

3 meals a day. 20 G of Protein AT LEAST per meal with a goal of 60-70 per day. Less than 40 G of carbs. No specific goal on fat, but remember to eat lean meats and cut fat off of fattier ones. Approximately 800 calories max a day.

Their sample meal plan for this stage however includes a light Breakfast sandwich made with egg white, turkey sausage, and a whole wheat english muffin. According to MFP, this meal consists of 27.5 carbs, 250 calories, and only 12 grams of protein! This is using Thomases muffin, jimmy dean turkey sausage, and great value egg whites. This would leave me with only 13 carbs left forthe day and not enough Protein in my first meal. Calculating this has seriously made me feel like my program has not considered their plan thoroughly. Although they are a center for excellence.

The timeline is 2 weeks liquids (nothing particles or cream)

1 week thick liquids (include thin yogurt, cream soups)

1 week pureed foods (still pretty thin)

1 week mushy foods (applesauce consistency)

1 week soft foods (for some reason can include very very toasted bread chewed to a paste-like substance and iceburg lettuce)

After 6 week appt can do all foods except: Pasta til month 4, corn, fresh fruits and veg until month 2, steak until 6 months, other lettuces in month 2, alcohol for 1 year, carbonated drinks 4 motnhs if ever.

I think that is everything. Also, the NUTs give differing food intake advice from the PA. I haven't seen the surgeon since I was in the hospital. My program farms people through efficiently so the surgeon is not a very important part of the program after he performs the surgery.

B

Thanks for sharing all the info! I use MFP too and at 3 1/2 months I get between 700 - 800 calories per day, 80- 100 gramss Protein and less than 50 grams carbs. I don't track fat grams BUT everyday I click on the little pie chart icon to see what my percentage of protein is. If it is above 50%, I lose. If it is below 50%, I never lose. Personally, I went about 4 weeks before I figured this out. I thought I was getting in almost ALL protein, but you would be surprised at the percentage of fats and carbs in our high protein foods! Can you check this out on your MFP? Go back through each day and click on the pie chart icon to see your percentages? It REALLY helped me.

Thanks for sharing all the info! I use MFP too and at 3 1/2 months I get between 700 - 800 calories per day' date=' 80- 100 gramss Protein and less than 50 grams carbs. I don't track fat grams BUT everyday I click on the little pie chart icon to see what my percentage of Protein is. If it is above 50%, I lose. If it is below 50%, I never lose. Personally, I went about 4 weeks before I figured this out. I thought I was getting in almost ALL protein, but you would be surprised at the percentage of fats and carbs in our high protein foods! Can you check this out on your MFP? Go back through each day and click on the pie chart icon to see your percentages? It REALLY helped me.[/quote']

Wags, what part of MFP is this under? I don't see anywhere to get a pie chart. I usually check my daily totals on the home screen to make sure I am at the daily numers I need.

Thanks for sharing all the info! I use MFP too and at 3 1/2 months I get between 700 - 800 calories per day' date=' 80- 100 gramss Protein and less than 50 grams carbs. I don't track fat grams BUT everyday I click on the little pie chart icon to see what my percentage of Protein is. If it is above 50%, I lose. If it is below 50%, I never lose. Personally, I went about 4 weeks before I figured this out. I thought I was getting in almost ALL protein, but you would be surprised at the percentage of fats and carbs in our high protein foods! Can you check this out on your MFP? Go back through each day and click on the pie chart icon to see your percentages? It REALLY helped me.[/quote']

Haha right after I asked I found it. Same spot I go just a different way of viewing the numbers. I am at 44% for protein fr today.

Haha right after I asked I found it. Same spot I go just a different way of viewing the numbers. I am at 44% for Protein fr today.

Okay based on what you are doing vs what the NUT's plan calls for? Seems like YOU have a better idea about nutritional balance than they do. So my advice is to keep doing what you're doing and smile and nod at them :)

Obviously don't violate orders on what foods you can eat when because of the inherent dangers in introducing food too early, but in terms of meal and macronutrient compositions, sounds like you are well educated and monitoring as you should. Good for you!

I love this very specific thing on 50%. I might try that. Thanks!

Hi Patti and gamergirl! I hope the 50% idea helps. It has helped me a lot. I was so surprised when I realized my percentages. I do eat a lot of cheese, yogurt, dairy and meat and the fats & carbs really do add up percentage-wise.

Hi Patti and gamergirl! I hope the 50% idea helps. It has helped me a lot. I was so surprised when I realized my percentages. I do eat a lot of cheese' date=' yogurt, dairy and meat and the fats & carbs really do add up percentage-wise.[/quote']

Well I went back and checked my intakes against the days I lost. I'm always around 45-48% Protein. I will try it again after my stall from hell ends.

Well, good luck! How long have you stalled? I lost 55 pounds by 3 months, but I have stalled this last week. I have stalled a couple times before, but then it just breaks.

I just noticed my percentage goals for carbs and Protein are inverted from what we are finding works so I may jist work to invert those and see how that does!

I hope it works Patti! Let us know how you do :-)

Okay based on what you are doing vs what the NUT's plan calls for? Seems like YOU have a better idea about nutritional balance than they do. So my advice is to keep doing what you're doing and smile and nod at them :)

Obviously don't violate orders on what foods you can eat when because of the inherent dangers in introducing food too early, but in terms of meal and macronutrient compositions, sounds like you are well educated and monitoring as you should. Good for you!

Agreed! I think you are doing great! Your body will get with the program. Just be patient with it.

Well, good luck! How long have you stalled? I lost 55 pounds by 3 months, but I have stalled this last week. I have stalled a couple times before, but then it just breaks.

My husband and I have both been stuck for 11 day or so. The timing is right, we're at 5 weeks now so I guess that's what we can expect. Trying to be patient :)

My husband and I have both been stuck for 11 day or so. The timing is right, we're at 5 weeks now so I guess that's what we can expect. Trying to be patient :)

I did about the same thing about the same time. I bounced around about the same weight for about 10 days or so, and then started to drop so fast, I started to worry. Now, the last couple of days, I've held pretty steady. And some of that "stall" time was during my super low calorie consumption when I thought I was dehydrated. Could have played some role, but I'm not sure of the exact effect.

I did about the same thing about the same time. I bounced around about the same weight for about 10 days or so' date=' and then started to drop so fast, I started to worry. Now, the last couple of days, I've held pretty steady. And some of that "stall" time was during my super low calorie consumption when I thought I was dehydrated. Could have played some role, but I'm not sure of the exact effect.[/quote']

Oh I am so ready to drop too fast! :)

It really teaches you humility this whole process. You realize how little you control, other than your actions. What your body chooses to do is not withinyour control.