Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Skinny People's Poop May Hold the Disgusting Key to Weight Loss

"Are you obese? Have you tried everything to lose weight (black and white footage of a person accidentally springing a thighmaster into a flatscreen TV. TV falls down on top of person/ footage of person running in sweatbands and wristbands and kneebands and looking miserable/ footage of a heavy person forlornly ordering salad while all of their thin dinner companions order steak sundaes topped with bacon whipped cream and laugh and laugh)

Well, aspiring thin person — toil no more. Today, we're offering you the opportunity to lose weight THE EASY WAY: and all you have to do is have bacteria from the poop of a thin person injected into your intestines!"

So the methodology needs a little work, but the research is still pretty fascinating and important. According to the New York Times, yesterday scientists published the results of a study that found that the bacteria living inside the digestive systems of thin people may actually be keeping them thin — and vice versa.

http://feedly.com/k/17egxUg

OMG. I'm laughing my butt off. How weird/interesting it will be if this turns into something though!!

The heavy people will be lined up waiting for their injections! It never ceases to amaze me how much research is being done and yet the heavy people are still heavy. It seems like the only thing that has ever helped me is my sleeve and my ability to work it.

Lol!! That is too funny! I read the whole article and now my incision area hurts from laughing... I wonder how many people would sign up for the clinical trial to be injected with skinny person poop?!? Thanks for sharing :-D

Sent from my iPhone using VST

http://news.health.com/2013/03/28/gut-bacteria-may-be-key-to-gastric-bypass-effects-study/

Bacteria from the gut of a gastric bypass person has thinning properties. My wife is a gastric bypasss person and is thin. She's my backup in case the fat comes back. However, getting her bacteria into my gut presents logistical problems. If it just involves kissing I'm covered. :D

This argument has merit. As someone who knows the people who first researched and discovered the connection between Ghrelin and being fat, I also learned a lot over the years about the GI microbiome. The thing is, there are about 100 trillion bacteria in the gut, but only 10 trillion cells in your entire body. Do we really think that giant colony of bacteria aren't doing anything important?

Some research suggests that specific types of Fiber (for example,) might help alter the microbiome of our colon. By doing so, it might help people become more or less thin. I think this will be an exciting area of research moving forward, and I think there will be many interesting discoveries down the road.

Lol...very funny!!

Funny, but you know what they say about truth being stranger than fiction. Poop infusions are already done to treat "incur able" c diff infections with a very high success rate. I just finished reading Mary Roach's book, Gulp, which covers this and many other interesting factoids about our digestive system.

Lynda

As crAzy as this sounds, i have heard of this.... Its called fecal transplant. They prefer to use a spouse or other close relative for obvious infectious disease reasons.... I have a friend pursuing this, not bc she is heavy but she has a host of GI issues!

I actually had a fecal transplant back in April. I had to have it for treatment of C. diff and it worked like a charm! 2 months of antibiotics didn't cure me, but a 20 minute fecal transplant was an instant cure. The bonus part is my donor is super skinny, so between my new poo and VSG, I've had a double dose of obesity treatment! I have definitely assumed her BM schedule and consistency, so hopefully the "thin" bacteria made the trip, too.

My gastroenterologist didn't care about the being a relative part, but we both had to go through a series of tests for infectious diseases (hepatitis, syphilis, HIV, H. Pylori, giardia and other GI parasites)

I actually had a fecal transplant back in April. I had to have it for treatment of C. diff and it worked like a charm! 2 months of antibiotics didn't cure me, but a 20 minute fecal transplant was an instant cure. The bonus part is my donor is super skinny, so between my new poo and VSG, I've had a double dose of obesity treatment! I have definitely assumed her BM schedule and consistency, so hopefully the "thin" bacteria made the trip, too. My gastroenterologist didn't care about the being a relative part, but we both had to go through a series of tests for infectious diseases (hepatitis, syphilis, HIV, H. Pylori, giardia and other GI parasites)

That is way cool!

GREAT! I can just see a whole line of Celebrity Fecal Transplants in the future. "Wanna be thin like Brittany? New from Ronco - Brittany Spears Fecal Transplants. Shove this up your butt in the comfort of your own home."

With a strong science background I believe this has merit as well. There is a host of things the good bacteria in our gut is responsible for. I would have it done! I wouldn't get it from my hubby though as he is 6'2" and still has a twenty pound monkey on his back and he works very hard to keep his weight where it is. He cycles over 6,000 miles a year,does spin classes and in winter he takes core strengthening classes. For someone his height it's not as serous as it is for someone my height--4'11".

The science is moving so fast in this area that I actually scouted around for a skinny bugs fecal transplant, but my biologist relatives, internist and bariatric surgeon all assured me it would many years before such a thing is more effective than dangerous. My husband is thin as a rail while eating like a horse, and after 20 years you would think I've been exposed to all his bacteria.

I suspect the fix will turn out to be very individual, with some transplants effective and some not.

Meanwhile, surgery is the treatment with the best outcomes. So here I go, on December 29th. I'll be really mad if a tried and true EverSlimEnema comes out in 2015!

The science is moving so fast in this area that I actually scouted around for a skinny bugs fecal transplant, but my biologist relatives, internist and bariatric surgeon all assured me it would many years before such a thing is more effective than dangerous. My husband is thin as a rail while eating like a horse, and after 20 years you would think I've been exposed to all his bacteria.

I suspect the fix will turn out to be very individual, with some transplants effective and some not.

Meanwhile, surgery is the treatment with the best outcomes. So here I go, on December 29th. I'll be really mad if a tried and true EverSlimEnema comes out in 2015!

congrats and good luck with your surgery!

The sad part is there is no one jumping on the everslimenema bandwagon because there is no money to be made. No pharmaceutical or medical equipment company will ever do the research and studies to get something like this FDA approved. How do they make money off of this? After all, poo is free.

Like I mentioned, I had a fecal transplant to cure my C. diff infection and it worked great. The FDA actually tried to ban fecal transplants a couple years back but that lasted about 2 weeks due to the uproar from doctors having such success treating C. diff and IBD. My gastroenterologist has a 100% cure rate using fecal transplants for C. diff infections. And it's SO easy! In contrast, the "approved" treatment methods includes months and months of antibiotic treatments and hospitalization for severe cases. C. diff kills over 10,000 people/year and is on the rise....the CDC has even sent out alerts. The local infectious disease office sees 10+ cases a week. But is anyone conducting the studies it takes to get fecal transplants recognized as a viable treatment plan? No. But there is a company (I think Merck) spending millions on a vaccine for the toxins that C. diff produces. Thats because they will be able to market this vaccine for even more millions at some point. I turned down being part of this study because I actually wanted to be cured. (They wouldn't let me get the fecal transplant if I had joined the study)

So if they aren't willing to look into the benefits of fecal transplants for a life threatening infection, they certainly aren't going to "waste their time" seeing if it could make you skinny. I, however am THRILLED to have a skilled, forward thinking doctor who has given me the bonus of skinny poo as well as curing my nasty infection!