Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve surgery and PCOS

I have PCOS too and having surgery on March 10 2014

so im hoping I lose the weight fast and get a regular period each month.

Hi ladies! I have my story to tell. I have PCOS and have struggled with weight and infertility for 15+ years. My last child was conceived after 4 years of treatment. I hadn't sleeve surgery in Nov 2012. I have lost 126 lbs in 10 months. HW: 300. CW:174. Now as for the symptoms of PCOS disappearing: not completely but almost. I still have hair issues. My OB saw some small ovarian cysts. BUT....I have had a regular on-time cycle each and every month since surgery and just found out I'm pregnant...with twins!!! So the sleeve has beat PCOS in my opinion. Hope this helps. Good luck to all of you.

I found this very inspiring, I have no kids but have been diagnosed with PCOS as a teenager, I am hoping to get approved for surgery this year and one of goals including weight loss is to become pregnant. Thank you for sharing

Hi guys,

I too have PCOS. I was sleeved on June 3rd last year. I now have regular periods, I still have excess hair but my hairs on my face are much better. I started at 314lb and am now down to 207lb. I was lucky and had no stalls. Also just so people know, u will never get rid of PCOS BUT u can reduce ur symptoms. I'm sorry to say. But the sleeve has helped me so much. My face has cleared up too and so has the pimples I got on my arms and chest. So overall it has been great. My weightloss has been steady and I'm happy with that. But in saying this some weeks I only lost 300gms. But a loss is a loss. I have now been cleared to start trying for a baby so yay!

Best of luck to everyone with their journey

Ceers Bec

Hi Ladies,

PCOS was the main reason why I decided to opt for this surgery. I got to say it is still early days BUT since my surgery on 5 Feb, I have two periods, one - six days post op and one three weeks later.

Hence, there is hope for all of us!

I haven't had the surgery yet, still waiting on my date. I do have PCOS and this is the main reason why I chose WLS. I do have three girls but have battled infertility for years and spent thousands of dollars to have them. We were currently trying for a son when I have just had enough with my PCOS infertility. I sure hope not only to lose a lot of weight, I am praying for my son! I also want to not become a diabetic and have heart dz. Praying for the best results possible!

Hi Jules <3 I too have PCOS and I noticed we have the same surgeon - Dr Khayat at SSF Kaiser. I am scheduled to have sleeve surgery April

16th 2014. Would love to stay in touch and compare experiences!

Hi Bluesea71....just had my surgery at SSF Kaiser. I have heard good things about your doctor. I had David Le. I really like him. I had the sleeve on the 13th. I went through the process very quickly. Started Feb 4 of this year. I also have PCOS. The only thing I noticed about pcos was the hair....ugh. I suspect that won't go away. :( I did not have the surgery because of this though.

If you have any questions about my experience so far please ask. :)

Hi Bluesea71....just had my surgery at SSF Kaiser. I have heard good things about your doctor. I had David Le. I really like him. I had the sleeve on the 13th. I went through the process very quickly. Started Feb 4 of this year. I also have PCOS. The only thing I noticed about pcos was the hair....ugh. I suspect that won't go away. :( I did not have the surgery because of this though.

Awesome! Maybe we will run into each other at one of the support groups sometime! What was your experience like in the hospital? Did you stay more than one day? I assume they have you share a room? I attend the pre-op class on April 1st, so I assume I will learn more information then.

Edited by Bluesea71

I live in Canada. Am doing the preop assessment for bariatric surgery which involves lots of tests, meeting with professionals (OT, dietitian, exercise guy) and being approved for it. Its covered by govt. I am opting for the sleeve. I had a failed lapband 5 years ago. Diagnosed with PCOS at 20. Metformin didn't help me conceive. I did IUI+injections and have 7 year old twins. PCOS has affected my life is so many ways-no periods ever, facial hair, depression, obesity, high blood pressure, now high cholesterol which has affected my self esteem. I decided to get the sleeve to put an end to obesity and prevent diabetes. I have lost 15 lbs in 2 months on my own by eating right and exercising. Would love to see how other PCOSers do.

I was sleeved on 12/10/13. I lost some pre-op and am down 70 overall. From 268 to 198. My recent blood work shows that my testosterone and insulin levels are both normal. I halfed them since surgery.

My cycle was all out of wack after, but it's been less than 4 months. I just got back on birth control, and it's normalizing now. Hopefully whenever we try to conceive, and I get off the pill, everything will sort itself out.. Very hopeful!