Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve surgery and PCOS

Has anyone hear had the sleeve surgery and had PCOS going into it? How has it affected your weight loss? And did the surgery help your symptoms? And did u eventually get rid of it?

I'm curious to know as well! my understanding is that unfortunately the PCOS *can* slow down the rate of your weight loss (just like it does w/out the surgery) but you will still lose the weight, and it varies from person to person, there's a chance that the weight can be lost at a regular rate as well. I'm also pretty sure that it can aid in lessening the symptoms, but they won't necessarily go away.

Hoping someone with personal experience will chime in as well!

I am two weeks out and am losing very slowly, the scale hasn't moved in almost a week and I am wondering if my PCOS has something to do wi this. This surgery is my last hope, I did this to help my PCOS symptoms. I hope I am not having false expectations.

This is a recent article I found...I too was curious about this:

http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=news/11900/pcos-doesn%E2%80%99t-affect-bariatric-surgery-outcomes

I've been wondering about this as well. I had my surgery on 8/26 so I will be three weeks out tomorrow. I lost 6lbs the week before surgery which I have never been able to do with my PCoS. Then I lost 13 my first week and then only 2 the second. I don't think the scale has moved much this week but I don't weigh in until tomorrow. Whether its true or not, I feel like this is slow! I wonder how this bodes for the future weight loss. Part of the problem was I set monthly weight goals I hoped to achieve and I shouldn't have done. I am going on a cruise in 3 months and wanted to lose 50lbs! I wonder about others experiences as well.

PCOS is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is largely a hormonal imbalance. I have it, and to be honest, the weight loss did not help with it at all. Then again, I am in my forties, so there are all kinds of weird things happening with my body now, oh the joys of getting older. Also, my weight loss was/is significantly slower than most, not sure if that is due to my PCOS or not though.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Hi ladies! I have my story to tell. I have PCOS and have struggled with weight and infertility for 15+ years. My last child was conceived after 4 years of treatment. I hadn't sleeve surgery in Nov 2012. I have lost 126 lbs in 10 months. HW: 300. CW:174. Now as for the symptoms of PCOS disappearing: not completely but almost. I still have hair issues. My OB saw some small ovarian cysts. BUT....I have had a regular on-time cycle each and every month since surgery and just found out I'm pregnant...with twins!!! So the sleeve has beat PCOS in my opinion. Hope this helps. Good luck to all of you.

Hi ladies! I have my story to tell. I have PCOS and have struggled with weight and infertility for 15+ years. My last child was conceived after 4 years of treatment. I hadn't sleeve surgery in Nov 2012. I have lost 126 lbs in 10 months. HW: 300. CW:174. Now as for the symptoms of PCOS disappearing: not completely but almost. I still have hair issues. My OB saw some small ovarian cysts. BUT....I have had a regular on-time cycle each and every month since surgery and just found out I'm pregnant...with twins!!! So the sleeve has beat PCOS in my opinion. Hope this helps. Good luck to all of you.

So encouraging. I also have pcos and having surgery to hopefully help with my infertility.

I have PCOS and am worried that I won't get the weight loss need even with this surgery :/ Hoping to hear more from people with this disorder that have had successful surgeries?

I have PCOS and had my surgery on Thursday night - so I'm two days out. Took the decision to stop my Metformin two months ago to see if my body will 'heal' itself naturally. Besides, Metformin makes you super fertile if you're a PCOS-er with periods and I don't fancy the pitter-patter of untimely feet - just yet! I'll let you know how I get on xxx

Hi Jules <3 I too have PCOS and I noticed we have the same surgeon - Dr Khayat at SSF Kaiser. I am scheduled to have sleeve surgery April

16th 2014. Would love to stay in touch and compare experiences!

How are your hair issues ladies? Is anyone else here using Rogaine pre-op?

My hair started falling out in month 4. I'm approaching month 6 and its still falling out.

Didn't bother with the rogaine type stuff. Apparently it accelerates the loss of the hair which is preparing to fall out. The hair grows back, but what does grow back is baby hair and the moment you stop taking it, the baby hair falls out. Pointless - unless you want to continue using the product.

Sadly, the hairloss is not something I have been able to side-step - no matter what supplements and Protein levels I have tried.

I've been using Rogaine happily for a year and the plan is to continue (my hair loss with the PCOS was so bad, my endocrinologist basically told me it was my only choice), but I'd like to know if anyone else had already been using it before surgery. I just want to know if it might help keep my hair from starting to fall out again after surgery and if not, if it will come back...