Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any advice, encouragement or hope will be appreciated

I had my vertical sleeve surgery on July 8th. So, now I'm three weeks Post-op and I'm frustrated with what seems like a slow recovery. My dietitian encouraged me to try the soft solid foods that are on my list, so I tried a scrambled egg on that first day and it made me so sick! I stayed sick for hours until I finally threw up and got it off my stomach. (I was so disappointed). Then the other day I ate two small meat-balls out of a can of Chef-boy-ardee, no noodles, just the meat balls, and they were plenty soft and plenty moist. (My dietitian said make sure it's soft and moist) and they made me just as sick as the egg did. I threw up several times and didn't feel better until it was off my stomach. I never would digest. I'm frustrated with my attempts at solid food, and I'm thinking of just going back to liquids for a while. I can eat a few things ok, like cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna (sometimes) and watermelon. In addition to this frustration, I've been feeling very weak, tired, lethargic, spaced out and sometimes dizzy. I'm trying to figure out if this is a sign of dehydration or lack of Protein. Because I KNOW I'm not getting nearly enough fluids and not nearly enough protein. When I drink something it makes me nauseated and I just can't stand it. And I'm so sick of the Protein Shakes that they almost make me gag. Does anyone have any advice? BUT The good news is ... I've lost 46 pounds in 5 weeks (including the two-week-pre-op-liquid diet). Thanks, Tanya

Tanya, you are rocking your sleeve. 46 pounds is a preschooler!!!! I am 9 days out and I feel you. I am not getting my liquids or Protein in. The protein is nasty. However, I don't think you are doing so bad at all. You have some things you can't handle, but you seem to have found some your tummy likes. You stomach has been majorly insulted and it is probably a little ticked off at you:) It will get over it eventually. My doctor says to stop and take a step back if you have trouble with moving forward. Give yourself a break and back off on the solids for a little bit. I can't handle any mild based anything because it sits so heavy and causes me to feel like an Iron fist has grabbed my insides. I am just doing broth based things at this point. It's frustrating, but I think it's got to be normal for many. The meatballs are also super processed and maybe your body doesn't like that part of it. Have you tried fish? Good luck.

As far as the Protein goes, you could check out this site: recipes.html." rel="external nofollow">http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes.html. She has a ton of Protein shakes that might work for you.

It sounds like you could very well be dehydrated. Work hard on making sure you are getting in all of your liquids, this will help you feel much better.

A lot of people have a really hard time with eggs and meat when they are first cleared to eat them. This is not uncommon at all. I wasn't cleared for solids until I was a month out. Some people can tolerate them early, some can't. Go back to the foods you know are working and stick with those for now. In another week try something solid again and see if it works.

Take it slow. You are having a normal recovery, not a slow one by any means. As time goes on it gets easier. Hang in there and congrats on the weight loss!

I am a year out and till this day I can not stomach hamburger meat, certain kinds of sauces, a lot of foods I can't eat without getting sick. I have my good and bad days but 3 weeks out I barely could eat anything, I got some Protein Shakes from GNC pretty good I ate a lot of puréed Soups I just couldn't do solid food for about three months but I wasn't even that hungry lol just purée ur food and try to eat soft food I can not eat dairy I have gotten more lactose since the surgery so eggs, cheese, milk I can't do at all. Just try too eat squishy foods for now. Hope u feel better soon :-) I got to eat more about five months after my surgery solid foods I mean it will get better in time

I had the same feelings. And I wS severely dehydrated. I thouhht I was getting enough Water. I wasn't. Everything I tried was horrible. And it was around week 5-6 so I went to the doc and he had me put in the hospital for fluids. Worked miracle. I can now eay just about anything and trust me I try even hsrder yo get enouhh liquids in. I don't want to ever feel like this again. You should go in.

Tanya, you are rocking your sleeve. 46 pounds is a preschooler!!!! I am 9 days out and I feel you. I am not getting my liquids or Protein in. The protein is nasty. However, I don't think you are doing so bad at all. You have some things you can't handle, but you seem to have found some your tummy likes. You stomach has been majorly insulted and it is probably a little ticked off at you:) It will get over it eventually. My doctor says to stop and take a step back if you have trouble with moving forward. Give yourself a break and back off on the solids for a little bit. I can't handle any mild based anything because it sits so heavy and causes me to feel like an Iron fist has grabbed my insides. I am just doing broth based things at this point. It's frustrating, but I think it's got to be normal for many. The meatballs are also super processed and maybe your body doesn't like that part of it. Have you tried fish? Good luck.

Hello, Yes I tried fish and I do ok with some kinds of fish. Baked Tilapia went down ok, but the baked Salmon didn't go down too well. I think because it was too dry. Then one time I had tuna fish and cottage cheese and it did ok, but the next time I had it, it didn't go down too well. So, it's like ... I never know. I've discovered Sonic ice. They crush their ice up small so it's easy to eat. And when my mouth is dry, but I can't fit anything else in my stomach, the ice makes me feel better and I guess it gets some Fluid in. Thanks!

I had the same feelings. And I wS severely dehydrated. I thouhht I was getting enough Water. I wasn't. Everything I tried was horrible. And it was around week 5-6 so I went to the doc and he had me put in the hospital for fluids. Worked miracle. I can now eay just about anything and trust me I try even hsrder yo get enouhh liquids in. I don't want to ever feel like this again. You should go in.

I talked to a friend of mine who is an RN and he said IV fluids will only help for a couple of days, and then I'll be right back where I started if I don't continue to get in more fluids. So I hate to go through the pain and discomfort of an IV and then be right back in the same (dehydrated) boat a couple of days later. Thanks for your advice though

Yah u have to put some effort in your part to keep hydrated. But trust me after u get all that u feel much better and u will be able to drink more with aLmost no discomfort. It did wonders for me. I dink as much as possible. And I can tolerate just about anything.

Tanya and Elaine, can I ask what kind of Protein you guys both used? I'm just starting my initial everything and want to make sure I avoid those brands! :)

Concentrate on eating the things you can tolerate and on good days when you're well hydrated try something new. Just make sure you do very small bites and let it sit for a bit. If it stays put....try a little more. It does get easier. I promise you. I am 8 months out and can eat just about everything. Some things make me feel yucky so I stay away from them. Just take it slow, don't compare yourself to anyone and do whatever works for you. Hang in there!! Xoxo

Try sugar free puddings and Jello and pop cycles. I also did well with diet or light apple juice and cranberry lemonade. Welches makes a good diet peach juice. My first solids were baby food. Went down easy and stayed down.

Thanks for sharing. I will stock up on sugar free puddings and ice pops. Any other suggestions. I heard Walmart has some great Protein shakes. I need help on which proton shakes to buy. I'd like to get them pre made. Any suggestions ?

I know you didn't ask me' date=' but wanted to share. I use EAS drinks and bars. I also use nectar by Syntax Roadside Lemonade and Fuzzy Navel. I usually add a flavor packet like Crystal Light or Hawaiian Punch flavors.[/quote']

What is EAS Protein? And also can we had crystal light???

EAS Advantage can be found at Target and Walmart. I by the premix chocolate and vanilla and love the taste. It's about $1.25 a can. Be sure to get "carb control". There's about 100 calories and 17 gm Protein. I also use crystal light to help get more Water in. I love the " peach tea". Also Hawaiian Punch has flavor packets in many flavors. I sometimes add one to my nectar by Syntax Protein Drinks to make the flavor stronger. Since I can't have my diet dr pepper any more I started drinking diet Snapple peach tea. Yum! Hope this helps!