Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Raging headache day 2 of pre-op, and I'm not suppose to take anything....

So I woke this morning with the worlds worst headache. The only thing that does anything for me is ibprophen and I am only allowed tylenol(which does nothing for me)

And to add to it I have a packed work schedule since I am going to be off next week. I am drinking Water like crazy and am sure its hormonal with a dash of no caffeine! JUst thought I would wine since no one here knows why I can't take ibprophen. :)

Why don't you have a sip of coffee? It was allowed on my plan before and after surgery.

Taking ibuprofen can cause stomach ulcers and I don't think you want that to happen before or after surgery. My surgeon told me I could not have any NSAIDS after surgery and with my knee pain I need something. My othro doc has me on Mobic and I cannot have that either. Not looking forward to not having anything to help the knee pain before or after surgery.

I had the exact same thing to the point I started to throw up from an intense Migraine. It was horrible. I feel for you but post op, it will be better if you can work through it. Sorry

Same things happened to me on my second day a horrible headache and i think is normal because of the detox...Not just ulcers, my Dr told me ibuprofen, naproxen and others can cause bleeding and we don't need that.

..........with my knee pain I need something............

I'm in the same boat...was anything suggested for post op? This morning I was hobbling along, and boy did I want to take something and tylenol just doesn't cut it.

ADARGIE, sorry for your pain.....I had a headache that first day and extra strength tylenol helped.

Gatorade

So following surgery I was allowed to return to ibuprofen. So you might just need to make it through 2 weeks. I would contact your surgeon and explain your needs. Maybe you can get a prescription level tylenol to help out.

Yeah, NSAIDS (ibuprophen, aleve, aspirin) are anti-platelets, so the doctor is worried you'll bleed more in surgery because of it.

Call him and ask what you can do.

Thanks for the replys, my hubby brought some tylenol to work for me, I did take a couple sips of coffee. My paperwork says Decaf only and no ibprophen for bleeding risk. At least now its tolerable, just a dull roar! I am trying to follow the pre-op instructions to a T and be a good girl.

Make sure you are getting enough fluids a lot of times that is the best thing for a headache. Also if your not getting enough Protein it can exacerbate a headache. Good luck.

I don't like coffee and bever drank it. My surgeon told me i could though and didn't say no caffeine. My daughter suffers from terrrible Migraines and her daughter told me to allow her to drink sodas or other caffeine because it would open the blood vessels and relieve her Migraine. It worked for her.

If you are a coffee drinker the withdrawal will cause severe headaches. I took 3 weeks to wean myself off caffeine before surgery. Went from 2 cups a day to 1 cup a day, to 1/2 regular mixed with 1/2 Decaf, to one cup of decaf every day. No headaches! And now that I've broken the addiction, I plan to stick with decaf.

I also have bone-on-bone arthritis in both knees and miss my ibuprofen but I take turmeric for inflammation now, and find the better diet and weight loss is much easier on my knees. Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory, but can help for pain. It's difficult but good luck to you!