Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is what I recall from last week. I was sleeved on Tuesday the 16th. Hope it helps.

My experience with Dr. Kelly and Hospital Nova.

Day 1 –

Flew into San Diego and was picked up at the airport by Cecy (Dr. Kelly’s wife). She drove all of us across the border to the Hotel first. There was a mix-up somehow and scheduling and one lady was a day early. So we dropped her off at that time and that is when we met Dr. Kelly for a few moments.

We then went to Nova. I will tell you that if you are looking for the exact same environment as in the states you will be disappointed. However, don’t get ahead of yourself and wait till you get inside and meet the people. We filled out paperwork and then went to a semi-private room to start with (the private rooms weren’t quite ready yet. Met with nurses and orderlies. Had blood drawn and had to answer numerous health questions. Went down for x-ray, put on the compression hose, got the IV line started. Then Dr. Kelly came in and visited with my wife and I. He really put us at ease. You will not find a more genuinely nice person in a surgeon. Then the Cardio Dr. came in and read the EKG. All of this happened really fast. Next thing I know I’m in the operating room.

I woke up still in the operating room. Surgery was completely over and I was being wheeled to a private room where my wife was waiting for me. Not much pain at the time still too out of it. As it wore off I started to get sore and feel the gas pain. About 3.5 hours after surgery I was up walking. It helps a bunch. Nurses took great care of me overnight. On call Dr. stopped by more than once.

Day 2 –

Walk, walk, walk. Best advice anyone can give you. The on call Dr. came by again and checked on me. Dr. Kelly came by a short while later. Nurses still taking great care of me. Got my ice chips and Water to sip on. Watched a lot of TV on my Ipad. Felt better every hour that went by. Took a shower and got my bandages changed. They hurt more than anything. You will lose some skin.

Day 3 –

Got up feeling great. Took a shower and got ready to leave the hospital. Went to hospital Angeles for the leak test. It is state of the art. This is where Dr. Kelly’s office is located. But it is too expensive to do the surgery at. That being said the stuff you drink is god awful! When it is done you will be glad. Dropped our luggage off and went across the street to Casa de Mole. Awesome broth! Hotel broth is free but it is worth it to get the broth at the restaurant instead. Also, the hotel popsicles are ok and free but the convenience store across the way is better. Got checked into our rooms and rested a little and then went to the “mall” to get out for a little bit. A good thing to do is let your card companies know where you are going before if you plan on using them out of the country. It will help with confusion. Went back to the hotel and set by the pool and relaxed.

Day 4 –

Decided to go sightseeing/shopping. Went to Revolution street with the other people that were in our group. Get with Jr. at the hotel he can hook you up and make sure you are safe. Went into the various shops and had broth at the famous Caesar’s Restaurant. Pretty awesome. Got wore out pretty quick but hung in there. Make sure you let Junior take you. He knows where to drop you off and all the ins and outs. Got back to the hotel and crashed. Dr. Kelly came by and signed our paperwork and visited with all of us. He brought his son with him. Had a nice visit.

Day 5 –

Return trip. Had to be downstairs to catch our ride back across the border. Our flight wasn’t until 3:20 although some were earlier. Got to tour the USS Midway which was awesome. Caught our flight and the rest is history.

FYI –

Hang on for the ride when you are with CeCy. She drives like everyone else in Tijuana. She is very sweet and on top of things.

Walk, walk, walk, walk.

Get restaurant broth when you can. It is much more satisfying. Same with popsicles get out and walk to the store.

The hotel is nice and people are very accommodating.

Get with Junior if you want to go anywhere once you are at the hotel. He is great. Go to Revolution Street and do some shopping. It is fun and you can get some cool stuff. Junior will drop you at Ray’s store. Ray is great and will take care of you.

If you have a tablet or laptop take it! Get a translator app. The Dr’s and lead nurses are bilingual. However, the regular nurses and orderlies are not.

I could tell you about the stories I heard while I was there about other Doctors and Hospitals. But, I would rather brag on Dr. Kelly and how great the treatment was while we were there. It is worth the extra money to be in a real hospital with a really great surgeon.

Thank you,

Jeremy

Thank You Jeremy. Much Appreciated.

Hi JPWill

Babsvt here.

I was on the same trip as JPWill.

Correction though: I was there as scheduled. The other lady from Virginia was in a day earlier than scheduled. Since I wasn't due to leave till Sunday (I built in one more day for recovery time instead of leaving on Saturday), Lora called me while we were all in the van heading for the border crossing and asked me if I would switch my surgery to Wednesday, as the Virginia couple showed up unexpectedly and unscheduled. Knowing that Dr. Kelly only likes to do 3 surgeries a day maximum, I was concerned it would end up being a very late day with four surgeries. I said I would be happy to move my surgery to the next day. At that point, after we arrived at the hotel Lucerna, my sister and I were dropped off at the hotel and the rest of the group went on to the hospital.

It was probably a good thing that I switched to the next day as I ended up with a complication that was due to my own stupidity.

I'll post something about my experiences in a few days. Otherwise I second what Jpwill said.

Overall

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this review!

Did you book direct or through a wholesaler. I assume you booked direct since Cece picked you up. So to all you people considering Dr. Kelly... BOOK DIRECT! The package he offers is different than MBC. And last comment... isn't Angeles Hospital out of this world! Great Post

I booked direct

How do you book direct?

Hi I am new to this forum so please hang in there while I learn how to navigate on this thing! Lol well I'm considering wls with dr Kelly as the surgery is out of my reach here in the u.s, but I'm scared out of my wits to go do the surgery in mx with all those horror stories we hear???? can I get some feed back on what got you through all the anxiety that comes with choosing the right surgeon and how you know he was the right one.

http://www.wlsclinic.com/contact/

I was nervous too. However, I found the experience to be very safe. I can't tell you who to go with as far as what surgeon to use. But, I was very pleased with Dr. Kelly and the whole experience. He is a good man and it will show when you meet him.

I am right there with Cponco26...totally can relate.

I am so VERY nervous. I'm still trying to decide if I want Dr. Ramos Kelly, maybe Dr. Alberto Aceves, maybe Dr.Alejandro Lopez-Ortega, maybe Jacqueline Osuna-Rubio?

Questions:

1- If it's only 3 days how does Dr.Kelley know you won't leak?

2- How many leak tests does Dr.Kelly do?

3) Is the border really a 1-3 hour wait in & out? because when I'm anxious or nervous I always tend to have to do # one/two a lot. Yes, I realize thats embarrasing to admit but I just have to ask. Especially after this one weight loss coordinator told me that there is no bathrooms to stop at and use at or near the border. So, how do people who have similar nervous bathroom issues not mess their undies if they gotta go... gotta go... gotta go right then? Seriously though...how?

hope2...

Nervous is okay. Nervous is good. Nervous means you're taking it seriously and in trying to soothe your mind you'll ask many of the right questions.

I can't guide you to a decision about a surgeon, most of them have pros and cons. My experience was good with Dr. RK but others have had the same stellar reports for their docs. That's a matter of lining up the research against your own needs/wants.

1. I was in the hospital for the majority of three days and then in the hotel for another two. How does he know you won't leak? There's no good answer for that for him or any other doctor. It's technique, experience, trusting your body and following the instructions. Most US Hospitals have you in and out in less time.

2. How many leak tests does Dr. RK do? I believe it's two, perhaps three. At least one DURING surgery, right before you are closed up and then one using a flouroscope/x-ray machine the third day. Mine was on the way to the hotel.

3. The border. It's hit or miss. My crossing TO Mexico was late afternoon and was 20 minutes on a Friday. On the way home it was mid-morning on a Wednesday and took under an hour. Once you're in line, no I don't think there's anywhere you could hop out and go. I don't think I'm wrong to say that most of the drivers have medical passes that can, if it's the right time of day, minimize the wait, especially going back into the US. I have a nervous bladder and feared needing the bathroom on the plane so I just backed off on how much I was drinking about 12 hours before my flight. Not the best plan, especially in light of dehydration concerns, but that's how I did it. I've read others using pads (like Poise) for a variety of reasons.

Thank You...I appreciate the info. Hey, I take about 3 prescibed meds and 5 Vitamins or supplements. How does one get those down if ya can't even get much Water down?

I had to stop all medications and vitamins/supplements 2 weeks prior. There are cases where that can't be done and you make your surgeon aware and they work with you. After that, it was advised that any medications- antibiotics, pain meds, prilosec, be crushed and/or diluted in liquid. That was soooooo not going to happen for me- I gagged contemplating it. The prescribed post-op meds were not large pills and I got permission to swallow them. I had no ill effects.

I know the thought of crushing them and swallowing is so gross. Would dilutting them in 1/4 hot Water and drinking it be ok? I cannot be without my prescribed meds so I will have to tell the surgeon when the time comes.