Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Ghrelin Research

Great to hear that!

Glad you got your date @@rebecca wills

Not too long to go :)

Best wishes to you!

Very interesting readings,

Thank you

Most important:Ghrelin is a 28-amino-acid acylated polypeptide secreted predominantly from X/A-like enteroendocrine cells of the stomach (1, 2). Several lines of evidence implicate ghrelin in growth hormone (GH) release, energy balance, food intake, and long-term regulation of body weight in rodents (3, 4) and humans (5). The ghrelin gene encodes a 117-amino-acid peptide, preproghrelin, for which there is an 82% homology between rat and human (1). Ghrelin is presently regarded as the only known circulating orexigen and exerts antagonistic effects on the leptin-induced decrease in food intake through activation of the hypothalamic neuropeptide Y–Y1 (NPY-Y1) pathway (3, 6). The effects of ghrelin are mediated via a 7-transmembrane G protein–coupled receptor (GPCR) called growth hormone secretagogue receptor (GHS-R) (7). This receptor is evolutionarily conserved from puffer fish to humans (8), which suggests that ghrelin may play a fundamental role in organism growth and development. The GHS-R type 1a has been implicated in GH release, and a nonspliced, nonfunctional receptor mRNA variant identified as GHS-R type 1b has recently been identified within a wide variety of tissues including lymphoid organs (9). Hexarelin is a synthetic analogue that binds GHS-R to induce GH secretion from porcine and bovine PBMCs, which suggests that GHS-R ligands may exert some direct effects on the immune system (10). In addition, the wide tissue distribution of GHS-R in the lymphoid system suggests that ghrelin and GHS-R ligands may function as signal modulators among the endocrine, nervous, and immune systems.

Inflammatory cytokines released by immune cells have been shown to act on the CNS to control food intake and energy homeostasis (11). Decrease in food intake and anorexia are among the most common symptoms of illness, injury, or inflammation (12). Cytokines such as IL-1β, IL-6, and TNF-α have been implicated in wasting associated with inflammation (13), chronic low-grade inflammation in aging (14, 15), and atherosclerosis (16). Regulation of inflammatory cytokine production by endogenous factors holds promise in the amelioration of a wide variety of ailments and disease conditions. In the present report, we describe a novel function of ghrelin in the immune system and on proinflammatory cytokine expression by human T cells and mononuclear cells upon cellular activation or leptin exposure. These results have implications in the potential use of ghrelin as a therapeutic target associated with a host of inflammatory diseases.

Results

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

You want to see some interesting info for thyroid patients. Google Graves' disease and the sleeve. There is a connection with ghrelin, inflammation, and leptin. Once the removal of the stomach the auto immune response is halted. They must do research to find a way to nail this down. Without Ghrelin you could possibly cure Graves' disease?.. And obesity! Wouldn't that be an amazing possibility?

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

OMG, that would be a Miracle!

WLS to cure Graves ??? Yes, this would be an amazing possibility.

@@rebecca wills

Could you post a couple of links to what you found re Ghrelin and Graves?

You are so good at research.

Thank you.