Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Melbournian sleevers are letting the page down!

Hi there. I'm a Melbournian too! I haven't had the sleeve but just had my first appointment with the surgeon. His name is Simon Banting. My next step is seeing a dietician and psychologist. I'm currently 154kgs.

Just a couple of questions if anyone can help out.

1. What made you choose the sleeve?

2. What's been the hardest thing about living with the sleeve?

I'm still making my mind up, I'm 90% sure the sleeve is the way to go. Any help would be great!

Chez, search this for a good thread re one of your questions: Why did you choose vsg over other wls?

Chez, re your other question - it has been easier for me living with the sleeve than without it. I am losing weight and feeling better every day, my eating is under control.

I must say I have had a problem free surgery and recovery - I don't take that for granted and am sure that's part of why I feel the way I do about the sleeve. Everyone's journey is different and if you want a "warts and all" look at post sleeve life you can search these threads on "regrets" and "complications"... but that won't tell you what your experience will be like either.

I have no regrets and it seems most on here don't. But then if you do, you probably wouldn't hang around on a forum like this.

Good luck with your decision.

PS: I'm from Sydney, but my sister lives out Berwick way and I really love the inner suburbs of Melbourne. Does that make it ok that I posted???

Chez' date=' re your other question - it has been easier for me living with the sleeve than without it. I am losing weight and feeling better every day, my eating is under control.

I must say I have had a problem free surgery and recovery - I don't take that for granted and am sure that's part of why I feel the way I do about the sleeve. Everyone's journey is different and if you want a "warts and all" look at post sleeve life you can search these threads on "regrets" and "complications"... but that won't tell you what your experience will be like either.

I have no regrets and it seems most on here don't. But then if you do, you probably wouldn't hang around on a forum like this.

Good luck with your decision.

PS: I'm from Sydney, but my sister lives out Berwick way and I really love the inner suburbs of Melbourne. Does that make it ok that I posted???[/quote']

Of course!

Chez, I chose the sleeve because I previously had the band which gave me nothing but grief and I didn't lose any weight with it. The sleeve for me has been trouble free too. I am in a really long stall ATM but I'm losing inches. This is one of the hardest things about it.

The other hardest part is the brain training. You have to be able to wrap your head around the thought that you generally aren't hungry when you think you are. I still struggle with head hunger and I'm 4 months out.

Thanks k8ee and Susan for your prompt and honest responses. It's good to see what people have experienced.

Must admit I'm a bit scared as I've never had surgery before but I'm excited of the possibilities and success rates this procedure has. I'm just at my wits end really re:weightloss. Like a lot of people on here I've gone up and down so many times I want something to assist me long term.

Oh and Susan of course you are welcome! Hehe

I'm thinking January for the operation depending on my surgeon etc also Need to get the $$$ together first.

Thanks again ladies! Feeling nervous and excited!

That's the good thing about this forum. You get honesty. There's soon interesting threads on here!

I'm sure you will be fine but keep asking questions so you are fully informed before you make your decision.

I'm in Vic' date=' and just got my sleeve date... Oct 17th, wonder how fast/slow time will go.[/quote']

Congratulates. You'll be in the sleeve side before you know it!

How is everyone going? Any news to report on?

Not long now petenric until your date!

I am in melbourne due to be sleeved on the 1st of October! Sooooo excited

Hi Birdie007! Great to meet another melbournian sleever (to be)!

How are you feeling about the op? Who is your surgeon? Have you started the pre op diet yet?

Hi Birdie007! Great to meet another melbournian sleever (to be)!

How are you feeling about the op? Who is your surgeon? Have you started the pre op diet yet?

I am excited about my op a little nervous but mainly excited! I am having mine done in the public system I know who the surgeon is supposed to be but can not be 100% sure! I am already on my pre op diet as was originally due to have op on the 20th of this month but now for 1st just decided to stick with it as I had gotten past the hardest part and didn't want to start again!

That's great if you can stay on the diet. That was a hard slog! Keep in touch and we are always here on this forum for support ;)

I was banded in November 2009 and had it removed in November 2013

Due to be sleeved by Ray on the 27th of Feb and am on the pre diet now......how is everyone going and what can I expect pain wise after surgery compared to the band??

Hi there,

I've just made my appointments with the psychologist, dietician and physician to get my checks done before I meet with the surgeon in April. I'm nervous about things now, more nervous they will find something wrong and I can't get the surgery. Probably worrying over nothing. Does anyone have some any advice or kind words?