Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Be honest - does anyone regret the surgery?

this is a question I wondered myself, how many people actually regret it being I see SO MANY positive people ! lol Im in just the first steps of my journey now and cant wait to actually get a move on. . . I do question myself is this for me? am I making the right choice? but like others I have invested so much time, energy and money in other quick fixes and diets that either didn't work or came back like a boomerang and the weight knocked me off my feet. Since I have reached into 300+ numbers I cannot get past 290lbs ! it gets soo frustrating and discouraging .. I have realized I need the help of a tool, and having a football sized stomach isn't benefiting me lol Congrats to everyone on being sleeved and on all of ur weight loss... I cant wait until I get to join u on the losers bench ! save me a spot lol

Just an update on me (the one who started this topic). I had my surgery just over 3 weeks ago. The first week - I totally regretted what I did - I didnt have any problems really, but I kept thinking how can I live like this?? Now, Im 22 lbs down and starting to eat pureed foods and I am so happy! I still have a long way to go, but I really think this what the right thing for me! Thank you to all who encouraged me after I first posted this! I hope WE can continue to encourage those coming after us!

Just an update on ME (the one who started this topic). I had my surgery just over 3 weeks ago. The first week - I totally regretted what I did - I didnt have any problems really, but I kept thinking how can I live like this?? Now, Im 22 lbs down and starting to eat pureed foods and I am so happy! I still have a long way to go, but I really think this was the right thing for me! Thank you to all who encouraged me after I first posted this! I hope WE can continue to encourage those coming after us!

Edited by TvlGrl712

Thank you so much for your post. From what I have read from others recently sleeved, there are some reservations afterwards. But, hearing your journey again after 3 weeks, really helps those of us that have not had surgery yet. I am sure things get better for most as the healing and weight loss begins.

Thanks Much!

Congratulations, and thanks for posting a follow up......it was tough that first week, but worth it......good luck!

I am almost 6 weeks post op now. I can tell you that at week 3 I had major regrets. I was on a stall, friends and family were going out to buffets and eating all sorts of stuff that I couldn't. I spent a whole day thinking 'ill never be able to go to a buffet again, ill never enjoy food like I used to, etc....' But now at week 6 the regrets are gone! I'm so glad that I did this for ME. So what if I never go to a buffet again! I'm learning now to savor and really enjoy my little portion of food and I'm ok with that. I want to look and feel good. And so will you. Good luck!

Yep, I regret it. I have had no complications except dehydration & I have lost 72 lbs...and I am just over 15 weeks out... I move more toward peace & acceptance with this terrible decision each day, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't wish life had a rewind button... but most people love their sleeve & love their decision to have wls. I am in a very small minority that happen to not love their love & not love their wls decision. Best of luck to you.

I am so sorry that you are suffering right now! I can tell you that when I was at the time you are now I felt the same way. I would cry asking what the heck did I do to myself! I would vomit at least 2 times a day, had a really hard time drinking Water, and overall felt crapy. Every day got a little better, and at around 4-5 months I finally really got it down...or the hang of it, and started adjusting to my new way of eating and life. Now at more then 2 years out I feel so wonderful ( well not today because I had a Tummy Tuck yesterday) but other then that my whole life has changed for the better! I am healthy again! I don't worry every day about being a ticking time bomb. food no longer controls me! I am soooo thankful that I chose to start living again!

I hope that you come out of this a different, better version of you....and I really hope you start to feel better soon! Good luck to you! ;)

I regret that I had to have the surgery. So many people have this surgery and hear all the whistles and bells about it and decide to have the surgery. I had some complications that I didn't expect and am still struggling to drink and eat 8 weeks post op. This is not a simple procedure and one that requires some serious reflection and behavior changes. You may not feel great 2 weeks post op. Are you prepared for possible complications? I thought I had done all the research and was prepared, then my experience did not go as planned. I wondered what I had done to myself. What if I could never eat and drink properly again in this body. What would that mean to my family and to my quality of life? On the flip side, yes, I am 40+ lbs lighter. I can cross my legs again and get in to smaller clothes. I am off of my diabetes and blood pressure meds too. All of these are possitives, but I cannot eat a normal meal or drink fluids on any given day without knowing if it is going to stay down. I can only believe that in time, this will get better. People ask me if they should get the sleeve and I am honest. I tell them that I cannot answer that question. I share my story to date, and my hope for a better tomorrow. Because if I give in to regret, then I am in trouble! Best of luck with your journey.

what I could eat at 8 weeks out is very, very different than what I eat now at 9 months out. You will see the weight loss and then you will find you can eat more so now I am being aware of this. Weight loss has slowed down dramatically ...take advantage of these early days out....you will eat and drink more and you will adjust as well.

If we are being honest - then yes. Sometimes I do.

When I want to drink some frozen adult beverages but cannot due to my drastically smaller stomach.

When I haven't eaten all day' date=' I cook some good stuff or go to my favorite restaurant and I can only eat a few bites when I really want about 8 bites.

When i want to gulp down some iced tea because I'm very thirsty and I have to take slow small sips because I can't hold it all at once.

When I want some delicious stuffed jalapeno peppers and tequila based drinks and I can eat ONE pepper and drink a third of my drink.

When do I not regret it? When I get on the scale, when I notice how good I feel most of the time, and when I notice that people don't comment on my weight loss but I see them looking at me with a hint of jealousy on their face. Booyah.[/quote']

I completely agree!!! I am 6 weeks out & the hardest part of my journey so far is not being able to eat ALL that yummy food BUT ALL that yummy food made me fat & very unhappy & unhealthy. Best decision I've ever made x

Just an update on me (the one who started this topic). I had my surgery just over 3 weeks ago. The first week - I totally regretted what I did - I didnt have any problems really' date=' but I kept thinking how can I live like this?? Now, Im 22 lbs down and starting to eat pureed foods and I am so happy! I still have a long way to go, but I really think this what the right thing for me! Thank you to all who encouraged me after I first posted this! I hope WE can continue to encourage those coming after us![/quote']

I literally teared up reading your update. Im thankful you started this topic because I've been feeling the same way. February 2014 will be my target month to get sleeved. All my fears and doubts have vanished reading all the support people have given. i wish you ALL well see you in the losers bench.

I literally teared up reading your update. Im thankful you started this topic because I've been feeling the same way. February 2014 will be my target month to get sleeved. All my fears and doubts have vanished reading all the support people have given. i wish you ALL well see you in the losers bench.

The only regret was not doing it sooner. I've lost 90+ lbs since surgery 4/30/13 & loving my sleeve. :-)

Absolutely the best thing I have ever done for myself. I had surgery 12/10/12 and have achieved my goal weight. I went from 196 pounds to 128 pounds in about 8 month. Now I am active, fit, and have a whole new relationship with food. It had been an incredible year.

Best thing in the world !! I've lost 60 lbs since June 2013 I love it I feel so much better about myself I have about another 70 lbs to go I'm averaging about 10 lbs a month with no problem wish I did it sooner :) nice to be getting compliments started at 271lbs now 210 lbs :) good luck on your journey!!

Absolutely awesome was this decision! Yes I miss greasy burgers and fries but don't miss how horrible I felt about myself afterwards when I would have to go top the end of the clothing rack in the stores looking for something to wear. My mother in law asked me if I feel now as good as I look. I told her not yet I'm still getting use to it. But every day gets better not worse. For that I'm grateful.

This was the first Thanksgiving Day that I got on the treadmill and bike!