Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all. I am still taking my daily PPI without fail daily at 1 year out. It is just 1 a day every morning with my other daily supplements. I am aware that we should not be needing to tak this any longer, but I still get some burn feeling on occasion in my throat after eating spicy foods. How does on stop taking the PPI? One less pill would be kind of nice, but not really a blocker for me. My PPI is 20 mg Omeprazole.

LOVE The new pic! I took the Omeprazole for one month following surgery and quit it and for the past week have been feeling a bit of acid so I just started another course. (14 days) I was told to only take it for the first month and then do a complete 14 day course when I feel the acid come back. I might have to do a course of PPI or two each year, but that's better than just taking it continually.... so that's what I'm doing. Prior to getting sleeved I had chronic reflux but I discovered that I was having a reaction to wheat... once I quit the wheat, the reflux went away.

Goodness, even as far out as I am, if I miss one day of my Prilosec I am absolutely miserable. I never had a problem pre-sleeve. I guess some of us are just destined to have to continue taking it.

Serenity - Thanks for your support. That is very interesting that you have explained a correlation between acid reflex and wheat. I have not heard of that before. Everyone will have their own diet variation post op ( mine, for example, has always been lacking any and all bread) so it is helpful to hear about "problem areas" based on different post op diet experiences. Thanks for sharing.

Susan- thanks! I am happy to hear that I am not alone in having to take PPI so far out.

Yeah.. I just figure I'll be on it for years to come. Oh well :D

I take 40mg of Prilosec 2x a day & sometimes some Carafate (liquid gold)! I took the same before my sleeve. I don't know if I'll be able to ever stop...

I take 40mg of Prilosec 2x a day & sometimes some Carafate (liquid gold)! I took the same before my sleeve. I don't know if I'll be able to ever stop...

With that kinda PPI use make sure your labs are drawn regular in particular serum magnesium levels. You may need a magnesium supplement.

Below is a warning for PPI's that the FDA put out on long term PPI usage.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/SafetyInformation/SafetyAlertsforHumanMedicalProducts/ucm245275.htm

Signs and symptoms of low magnesium are often present but concealed by an inability to distinguish their signs from other disease states. When a magnesium deficiency develops, the first noticeable signs often include nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. Other early signs of a low magnesium level include fatigue, difficulty sleeping, mental confusion, memory trouble, irritability and difficulty learning or concentrating. Migraine headaches and depression. Another noticeable sign of a magnesium deficiency is muscle spasms or contractions. Progressing to neurological symptoms and cardiac symptoms. Low magnesium is a medical condition but can be treated.

We have to be armed with the knowledge to facilitate our own care.

SunMoon - fascinating! I am such a junkie when it comes to seeking out knowledge related to optimizing health post sleeve.

You are onto something with the magnesium. I do get an occasional calf muscle contraction when I stretch it, especially in the mornings. My daily magnesium supplementation is 25% according to the label of my optimen Vitamin. WTF? This Vitamin is supposed to be superman making. Lol. I do eat a ton of lean Protein like chicken and Protein shakes. I would think they both have magnesium.

One thing to add- I never really had chronic Acid issues pre sleeve requiring any PpI. Sure I got the occasional throat burning acid after eating high fat or spicy dinner, but who does not? And it was very occasional when it did happen.

With that kinda PPI use make sure your labs are drawn regular in particular serum magnesium levels. You may need a magnesium supplement.

Below is a warning for PPI's that the FDA put out on long term PPI usage.

http://www.fda.gov/S...s/ucm245275.htm

Signs and symptoms of low magnesium are often present but concealed by an inability to distinguish their signs from other disease states. When a magnesium deficiency develops, the first noticeable signs often include nausea, vomiting and loss of appetite. Other early signs of a low magnesium level include fatigue, difficulty sleeping, mental confusion, memory trouble, irritability and difficulty learning or concentrating. Migraine headaches and depression. Another noticeable sign of a magnesium deficiency is muscle spasms or contractions. Progressing to neurological symptoms and cardiac symptoms. Low magnesium is a medical condition but can be treated.

We have to be armed with the knowledge to facilitate our own care.

Thank you, SMS! I get my labs done on the 9th & I'll make sure to ask!

Just something to think about if you have to stay on a PPI long term. They aren't really meant to be taken as they now prescribe them. Initially they were always prescribed in 14 courses. Now due to the diet of Americans dr's now prescribe them long term and this is one of the disadvantages. I too take a high dose PPI now pre op and I am sure I will post op. I take 40mg protonix. And it works for now. But my body always seems to get used to it and I either have to increase or change PPI's I recently had some issue with chronic fatigue and low an behold it was low magnesium.

Though, I do worry about the greater risk of osteoporosis associated with long term PPI use.

Because of my long term anemia with the band my bone density was compromised and 3 different times I fractured several ribs just leaning over things and hit my wrist on a drawer and it fractured. So.. I worry

Though' date=' I do worry about the greater risk of osteoporosis associated with long term PPI use.

Because of my long term anemia with the band my bone density was compromised and 3 different times I fractured several ribs just leaning over things and hit my wrist on a drawer and it fractured. So.. I worry[/quote']

I understand your worry. I haven't had issues like that yet, and hope not to. I have a family history of osteoporosis on both sides. That's why I believe it is very important to be armed with the knowledge to facilitate our care. I am in the medical profession and love my doc's but I know Dr's dont always think of everything. We sometimes have to lea them in the right direction.

Seriously, thanks again.....very informative, I had no idea!

Just something to think about if you have to stay on a PPI long term. They aren't really meant to be taken as they now prescribe them. Initially they were always prescribed in 14 courses. Now due to the diet of Americans dr's now prescribe them long term and this is one of the disadvantages. I too take a high dose PPI now pre op and I am sure I will post op. I take 40mg protonix. And it works for now. But my body always seems to get used to it and I either have to increase or change PPI's I recently had some issue with chronic fatigue and low an behold it was low magnesium.

Wow that is interesting about chronic fatique being related to low mag. Im always exhausted, in fact that is why i wanted this surgery to help give me energy. I have been on 40mg of protonix for probably 5 yrs. my pharmasist who is also my friend told me if im going to stay on them to make sure i keep my Calcium intake up because they deplete that too. Its scary the side effect drugs have