Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The good, the bad & the ugly... Mexico Bariatric Center, Dr. Kelly, MI Hospital

The good, the bad & the ugly... Mexico Bariatric Center, Dr. Kelly, Mi hospital

I have written this for information purposes only. I am trying to be as informative as possible to anyone that is considering surgery with Dr. R. Kelly, or using Mexico Bariatric Center or considering Mi Doctor Hospital. We just got back a few days ago from TJ… so far so good! My wife is doing GREAT! I hope this is not found as advertising as per the Forum Rules.

I accompanied my wife for VSG surgery; I had mine three years ago. My surgery was with Dr. Almanza and that is a complete other topic. Someday I will write about that gong show.

THE GOOD

Airport pick up in San Diego by a MBC employee was on time as scheduled. AAAAA

Dropped off at the Marriot... not my first choice but very acceptable.

Originally booked into the Grand but was changed by MBC the week prior. Been at the Grand several other times and prefer it over the Marriot because of its location, dining and facilities. All was ok because MBC did advise us prior to leaving for Tijuana. AAAA

Mi hospital was good. There is no Doctor present in the evenings till early morning. Very clean for Mexico standards. AAA

Opted to have the leak test and x-rays at Angeles Hospital due to the fact of their more advanced equipment. A Hospital that most definately meets all standards. An extra cost of $60. AAAAA

Dr. Kelly and his assistant Lora were both great. Very caring, conversations were very informative, professional and there is no sugar coating and no bull ****. We really appreciated that they both personally checked in with my wife during her recovery at the hotel. It was nice to see him & Lora other than just a nurse or coordinator. Not sure if he was supposed to do that since we booked through MBC. AAAAA

MBC was caught in a lie about changing Doctors to another patient and Dr. Kelly was caught in the middle. To keep the patient happy and to keep the patient from feeling they were used in a “bait & switch tactic” Dr. Kelly performed the surgery at no charge and picked up all Hospital charges as well. I witnessed this as this patient was in the room next to ours. AAAAA

THE BAD

Originally booked with a coordinator named Kelly. After our second communication with her she advised that she had a family issue with her dad and that Cindy would be able to assist us from there. Half a dozen emails, 3 or 4 phone calls. All was good at that time. I would rate her and the service a AAAA BUT… after us having problems with the hospital change, Cindy understood why were upset but changed her tune after speaking with a higher up at MBC. I did not take her comments lightly when she said it’s about time Dr. Kelly took responsibility and admit to his errors in regards to the hospital change. She also advised us that she did not make any money on this booking and we brought up this issue with Daniel (Mexican liaison for MBC) that we didn’t feel it was right for Cindy not to be paid as she did all the work as far as we could see but I truly don’t care how MBC pays its employees and Cindy had no business telling us that. We feel she did her job and should have been paid by her employer no matter what differences we might have had with her! This is business… not personal. AA

As far as blaming it on Dr. Kelly, he personally told us why we had the hospital change… that will be in detail in “the ugly”.

The Marriot's room service was poor. AA

My wife wanted to be one of the first surgeries of the day and was advised by Cindy that she had to arrange that with Daniel once she was in TJ. She spoke to Daniel’s assistant, Tatianna at the Hotel the minute we arrived and she said she would look into it and call me back. No callback came and Daniel said he knew nothing of this, and surgeries were already booked. Very poor communications between Cindy, Tatianna and Daniel on this matter. A

THE UGLY

Taken to MI Doctor Hospital. We booked our surgeon to operate in the Florence/Oasis Hospital. We were never advised by MBC that there had been a change. We found this unacceptable. Tatriana & Cindy advised us the morning of the surgery that Dr. Kelly no longer had privileges there and he only had privileges at MI Doctor (thus the change). After meeting with the doc an hour prior to surgery he and his assistant advised they also had privileges at Nova Hospital & Angeles Hospital. MBC states the Dr. changed the Hospital on us and the doc says MBC would not pay the higher operating room fee. Any way you look at it, we booked through MBC and they were the ones that should have advised us. Then it would have been our option to cancel or book directly with Dr. Kelly’s service directly. We would have cancelled and booked directly with Dr. Kelly! Our package cost was also higher than others MBC offers and were told that part of the reason for the higher cost was having the surgery at the Florence/Oasis which was a nicer facility (according to Cindy). No partial refund/offer of extra services was offered to compensate the difference in price between the two facilities. A

We were also advised by an onsite MBC employee that Dr. Kelly was not set up to operate out of Nova Hospital as of yet, but Dr. Kelly's assistant showed us his schedule and that he has worked out of Nova Hospital for the last 13 days. I detest blatant lies. A

Fees at MI are $400 dollars cheaper than Florence/Oasis and Nova is a few hundred more than Florence/Oasis. If you book directly with Dr. Kelly ... Nova Hospital and all its benefits are included at the same price. More on that in my summary.

The website that we booked through was www.ramoskellymd.com It states that it is the “Official Patient Coordinator Website of Dr. Ramos Kelly”. IT IS NOT! Dr. Kelly’s website is www.wlsclinic.com There are differences. See my summary. A

SUMMARY

I suggest anyone that is considering surgery with Dr. Kelly should book directly through his website at www.wlsclinic.com or call Lora at 619.793.4869 or email at Wlsclinic@outlook.com. There are many differences with the package sold through Mexico Bariatric Centre and sold directly. They both charge the same price but when booking direct, surgery is performed at Nova Hospital. I had a chance to inspect this facility. It is state of the art, high tech and has Doctors present 24/7 in case of any problems that might occur. Not just nurses and a doctor on call. Another difference is the leak test x-ray. He takes you to Angeles Hospital where again… state of the art equipment and images. He has a nutritionist meet with you while still in the hospital… the list goes on and on. Please do your research on this!

There are many Bariatric Surgeons in Tijuana. Some excellent… some very poor. The same applies to Hospitals and Hotels. Being that this was my 10th visit to TJ, I feel abit qualified to speak on this subject. I have assisted many friends while having VSG surgery and so far… I am the only one with a few minor complications. They are not major but just little hiccups along the way.

I have lost over 120 pounds and feel great. Wish I knew of this surgery years before I actually did it. If anyone wants to get the real scoop you can call me at 250.675.4657 anytime. I’m on the west coast so please remember the time difference.

I’m not a coordinator; I do not get referral fees… I’m just a happy, lighter individual that wishes you the very best with whatever decision you make.

And I cannot sign off without stating one opinion.

I do not want to debate this statement (and won’t) but if you are considering having surgery at Jerusalem Clinic with Dr. Almanza and Dr? (Mr.) Bentacourt… please reconsider. Research the facility, Betancourt and the recovery house and its personnel.

Thank you for reading my comments. They are just my comments and do not reflect others. I know many of you have had surgery with other surgeons and facilities and love your doctors but I wrote this to help others while in the decision process. If after having surgery you feel that you had the best care then I suggest you start your own Topic.

George

Interesting. I booked directly with Dr Kelly at the wlsclinic site. Got it set up with Lora. Surgery at florence (may 30th), had leak test at Angeles and stayed at the Lucerna. We had great service there. Was very clean and comfortable. I didn't meet Lora, but his wife Cece came with him twice to the hotel and took us back to the airport. All was good with us. I even refused pain meds the next morning.

I used MBC with Christy for surgery with Drs. Cabrerra/Valenzuela and had a very good experience with all parties. I'm sorry to learn that this experience was less than fantastic for you and your wife. I'm so glad you took the time to give such a detailed and helpful review.... And I'm glad to hear your wife is doing great!

I used MBC with Christy for surgery with Drs. Cabrerra/Valenzuela and had a very good experience with all parties. I'm sorry to learn that this experience was less than fantastic for you and your wife. I'm so glad you took the time to give such a detailed and helpful review.... And I'm glad to hear your wife is doing great!

Sounds like what we booked... but didnt happen for us because we did not book direct. We wernt as smart as you! haha. For everyones information... Doc Kelly no longer works out of Florance/Oasis. His first choices are Nova and Angeles. He also does work at MI Doctor as well. Lora and Cece are great... I agree. Glad you are doing well. Keep it up.

George, thanks for the details. I originally talked with MBC because i went to that website and thought it was directly related to him. I filled out the historu and returned it. Was told he had reviewed it and i was approved and given a rate. Then someone posted his offi,e phone. Called directly to book. Lora told me they had never seen my application. Also saved me some $$$ by booking directly. I am scheduled for 16th at Nova. Since then MBC has emailed me and offered a better price with other surgeons but I am sticking with Kelly.

I attempted to get information about the sleeve out of this group of people and it took them THREE weeks to even get back to me. At that point I had already selected my surgeon.

Unfortunately Dr Kelly is probably losing potential patients because of the poor service.

George, thanks for the details. I originally talked with MBC because i went to that website and thought it was directly related to him. I filled out the historu and returned it. Was told he had reviewed it and i was approved and given a rate. Then someone posted his offi,e phone. Called directly to book. Lora told me they had never seen my application. Also saved me some $$$ by booking directly. I am scheduled for 16th at Nova. Since then MBC has emailed me and offered a better price with other surgeons but I am sticking with Kelly.

We also went to the website that states its the official site ... crap... MBC just didnt work for us. They do not offer Kelly at NOVA because of the cost. Dr. Kelly absorbs that in his price. You will love NOVA! Lora, Cece and all is great. My question is... why would anyone book through a wholesaler when they can book direct with the surgeon and get all the extras like better hospital, no deposit, better xrays, ok... enough. You are a smart lady and CONGRATS!!! But... Lora... update your website!!!

I attempted to get information about the sleeve out of this group of people and it took them THREE weeks to even get back to me. At that point I had already selected my surgeon.

Unfortunately Dr Kelly is probably losing potential patients because of the poor service.

I agree... but the most important thing is that you are getting surgery! yahoo!

Did you try getting info from Lora at Kelly's office or through a wholesaler like Mexico Bariatrics or Baha Medical... just curious.

I just got an email back from Lora. She said yes they are using Nova now as florence was way overcrowded with 3 surgeons. She said it was a bigger more expensive hospital. It looks very nice.

WOW, I think this thread is a good lesson... When you're choosing a booking agency and doctor, give the most weight to the more RECENT reviews because a lot can change in a few short months. When I booked back in November, Christy was coordinating for MBC and I could get hold of her any time and she returned emails within hours and never fed me any bullsh!t....and trust me I called at weird times.. like sunday evening or or on THANKSGIVING and I still received quick responses. I also asked tons of questions and always received well researched responses. Sounds like she's no longer there and this staff change has really made a difference and not in a good way. I would feel bad if people go by my older recommendation of MBC since obviously they are no longer offering the same experience as when I was sleeved.

WOW' date=' I think this thread is a good lesson... When you're choosing a booking agency and doctor, give the most weight to the more RECENT reviews because a lot can change in a few short months. When I booked back in November, Christy was coordinating for MBC and I could get hold of her any time and she returned emails within hours and never fed me any bullsh!t.... Sounds like she's no longer there and this staff change has really made a difference and not in a good way. I would feel bad if people go by my older recommendation of MBC since obviously they are no longer offering the same experience as when I was sleeved.[/quote']

It sounds like TJ and the most commonly used WLS surgery venues and their surgeons are getting flooded. Too much demand and not enough supply.

I hope and pray that quality does not begin to suffer. Even though I didn't end up in TJ the majority of the shared experiences are positive and extremely affordable. And the care is good. I hope it stays that way.

I agree... but the most important thing is that you are getting surgery! yahoo!

Did you try getting info from Lora at Kelly's office or through a wholesaler like Mexico Bariatrics or Baha Medical... just curious.

I contacted his coordinator directly through his website.

I already had surgery - May 10th...extremely pleased and happy with my choice.

It is unfortunate because I am quite sure Dr Kelly is losing clients due to poor service.

I contacted his coordinator directly through his website.

I already had surgery - May 10th...extremely pleased and happy with my choice.

It is unfortunate because I am quite sure Dr Kelly is losing clients due to poor service.

I agree with you. Lora should make some changes. A guy pm'd me today and said kinda the same thing but when he told me what site he was on "THE OFFICIAL SITE blah blah blah" I regretably advised him that it is NOT the doc's own website but a wholesalers site. Sometimes these wholesalers are very mischievious when advertising on their websites.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this! I was very close to paying my deposit with Dr. Valenzuela through MBC and you made me take a better look at Dr. Kelly as an option. I love the idea of a newer/ better equipped hospital and hotel, again thanks so much for sharing!