Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's so easy to get discouraged

At my heaviest I was 560. The day of surgery I was 530. After making up my mind that this time I was going to go through with it (I had attempted this in 2010 and 2011,) I told a select few friends and family. Most we're supportive, yet later most of them asked me why didn't I want to try diet and exercise...apply to be on the biggest loser...extreme weightloss...get a person trainer. It hit me hard that no one realized I'd tried things all of my life and had short term success, but then life hit me again. Now, I think they were foolish to ask about diet and exercise because hey had no idea how much I weighed. Being big all of my life I was able to still be active and camouflage the weight. When you think of almost 575, you imagine someone that is bed ridden and needing assistance around the clock. You don't imagine someone with 3 degrees, working in upper management that also works 14-16 hours a day. I know realize that they had no clue.

But also in the time after I announced I'd be having surgery, people asked how much did I want to lose or my goal weight. I never gave an answer because I didn't want to have to think about how much weight I'd truly need to lose. For my height, I should be around 180-190...that means I need to lose 350 lbs.

THREE HUNDRED and FIFTY POUNDS....I know that anything is doable, but facing the actual reality of it...wouldn't anyone be a little discouraged? I do plan to give this my all and I know that this trip is going to take a while, but I finally feel like I'm ready.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Best of luck to you!! It is amazing what a positive outlook and unwavering determination will accomplish...yes, it is a long road...but all you have to do right now is take the first step. Go for it!!

We all can get discouraged from time to time, no matter what our weight.. But you and I took matters into our own hands and we are finally doing it.

That's all that really matters.

As u say, it's going to be a long road - you deserve to take on board every 'tool' you can to make the journey easier. VSG has to help...

I find it so insulting when ppl say couldn't u have done it thru exercise and diet.. Well hello if it was that easy we would all b skinny, ripped and in the best shape of r life.. But it's a challenge and at least we r doing Sumthing so drastic to make a Better life for ourself and show how serious we r in getting rid of the weight. Having this surgery makes us that much stronger then the average person sitting on the couch and just wanting to lose weight Nd saying they want to lose weight.... We r risking r lives for something we have struggled with r whole life and we r that much for determined then the next person... Good luck and don't let any negativity get the best of u at the end u will prove ppl wrong and know u made the best choice of ur life!! Good luck I wish u nothing but the best in ur WLJ !!

Just think how much you will benefit with every 10 pounds lost. Think of a 50 pound sack of flour. No matter what, you will unload several of those from your body. Who cares about the number you finally arrive at. It will be better than the status quo, right? That's what I am telling myself. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I can't wait to see how you are doing in 3 months, 6 months, a year.

You can walk to anywhere as long as you keep walking.

It is easy to get discouraged when you have an overwhelming amount of weight to lose - I know. I also understand what you mean about camoflauging it. As a 300 pound, 5'4" woman, you would think I had limitations, but I didn't for the most part. I, too, have a successful career and hold a masters degree, worked crazy hours, and was active. Now, being 84 pounds lighter and halfway to goal, I see the positive impact this surgery has made on my life. If I was doing that well before, imagine how much better it is now!

Sometimes if I think about how far I still have to go, it seems overwhelming still. Seriously, when I get to goal, I will have lost more than I will weigh. Even though I'm feeling pretty successful, the truth is I still weigh more than so many who are having this surgery. So, when I get that feeling, I just try to focus on the success I've enjoyed so far, focus on doing what I need to do for continued success, and remind myself all things in due time. I can and will do this, and so can you! Just take it a day at a time.

I know just how you feel. I, like you, am active and work 7 days a week. I am starting this journey at 448 pounds. I don't think anyone really realizes what I weigh either, and I don't know that I will ever tell anyone exactly where I started! I am having my surgery in one week (June 10), and I can only take it one day at a time! Good luck to you on your journey. This forum has really helped me, and I hope it can help you too.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thank you so much for sharing! You are making this step to be a better you! Weight doesn't matter what matters is how much healthier you will feel if its 100 or 300 lbs you lose! Good luck on your journey and stay positive! And everyone always tells me take it one day at a time!

Thanks & good luck cmunne! June 10th will be here before you blink. It's hard to think I'm a week and a half post op...but you can only take it one day at a time.

Sent from my iPad using VST