Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Connecticut Bandsters Out There?

I would highly recommend Dr. Tischler He has a new person in with him ow as his business has increased. As a registered nurse I have tracked him for a while. I wored i the community as a nurse for two years and he was the only physician whose patients I did NOT follow in the community. Which means he doesn't have complications. He is very detailed in evaluating patients for appropriateness for surgery. I am waiting for a date for surgery as my paperwork has just been submitted to insurance company. I have BCBS and was told that they are behind about a mont :yuke:( so good luck to everyone!!!

sharon;)

I had my first apt with Dr. T on 1/31 and I'm almost done with all the necessary dr apts for the health insurance submission. On the 1/31 apt they set a f/up at their practice for the first wk of April and said I should have everything done by then. Since you need to attend 2 of the group sessions and they only hold them 1x per month I would suspect about 3 mos from initial consult to the f/up and submission visit is pretty standard... I can't wait to see if health ins will give any problems ~ don't know if I could take rejection after all this effort put into prep, ya know?

Tamara

Cafegrly

Afte I saw him for the first time which was on 12/27 I had gone to one support meeting. Had everything sutmitted by 1/31 and in and was approved by 2/3. When I was approved they then moved my preop date up and I was scheduled for surgery, 3/12. After my first visit I also had a second appt which was for 3/27 but they had said if everything is done prior they would push things up, which they did. So I am almost two weeks post op and glads its done.

so you may end up with it quicker. I'm planning on going to the April group meeting.

sharon;)

Connecticut Surgeons :: Home

My name is Lisa and I'm having my surgery with Dr. Carlos A. Barba on May 8th at The Hospital of Central Connecticut.

The staff is great and Melissa Sullivan the registered dietitian is super nice.:thumbup:

Anyone having surgery soon?

Hi everyone, i'm from Meriden, CT and had my surgery at Midstate Medical Center on 4/22/08. Had my first fill on 5/21/08 and I will be going in the next week or so for another adjustment. This is still a learning experience and I am new to this board, so any pointers for using this board would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gail :confused:

Hi everyone, i'm from Meriden, CT and had my surgery at Midstate Medical Center on 4/22/08. Had my first fill on 5/21/08 and I will be going in the next week or so for another adjustment. This is still a learning experience and I am new to this board, so any pointers for using this board would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gail :thumbup:

Hi Gai and welcome to the Connecticut bandsters!!! I had my 4th fill today. It took til the third fill before I felt restriction and needed just a little more (.5cc) to get to that real restriction point.

WEight loss is slow but steady. It is a tool I am just getting used to. Eating slowly is my biggest challenge. If you have a group of physicians who feel that you are the evaluator of fill needs you are golden. My physician feels after the first 5 weeks of healing that if you do not feel restriction you are to come back in two weeks. That is exactly what I did. This time I went 3 weeks and lost 5 lbs.

Good luck to you and keep us poste. Remember that eating those 60 grams of Protein a day does help your hunger. Eating the Protein first and making sure you slow down your pace is also important. We all know this but our habits are so embeded or we wouldn't be here!!!

Enjoy the great weekend we're getting

sharon:):confused:

Thanks for the welcome Sharon, eating slowly is my biggest hurdle too. How do you get your Protein in every day? Do you do Protein Drinks, if so, what type? I tried the vanilla Protein Powder and don't really care for it, but I know I need to get that in every day, just not sure how to do it. I go back on 6/23 for an adjustment, can't wait. I go back for my first follow up with the dietician tomorrow so hopefully she can help also. I gained back 3# in the past 2 weeks. :)

Gail

Thanks for the welcome Sharon, eating slowly is my biggest hurdle too. How do you get your Protein in every day? Do you do Protein drinks, if so, what type? I tried the vanilla protein powder and don't really care for it, but I know I need to get that in every day, just not sure how to do it. I go back on 6/23 for an adjustment, can't wait. I go back for my first follow up with the dietician tomorrow so hopefully she can help also. I gained back 3# in the past 2 weeks. :frown:

Gail

I still struggle to get enough protein in each day. I do fall back on protein drinks, Bariatric Advantage have carmel drinks and sgtrawberry drinks that individually packaged I keep in the fridge. Each box give 200 calories and 24 grams of protein. I usually have one a day. I start the day off with two scrambled eggs and always have chicken or baked Beans in the evening. I cook chicken to have in the fridge to put on my salads at lunch time. Its a process. I have to make another appt with the nutritionist but since I got laid off I've been searching for a job, which I finally found, for at least the summer.

I've been lucky not to have gained any weight but the weight has come off slowly. I tryto work out at least 3 times per week which helps. Allergies now are kicking my butt so if I make it through the day I'm happy.

Hang in there...it too shall come.....don't worry about the numbers just the process.:thumbs_up:

sharon:)

Hi Gail,

Below are some of my favorite foods or drinks I eat to get all my protein:

Nature's Best Presents: Zero Carb Isopure Drink Ready-to-Drink Bottle - There are tons of flavors from Green Tea to Apple Melon.

Protein Zero Carbs. 40 grams of 100% Pure Ion Exchange whey Protein Isolate. Only 160 calories. Lactose free. Fat free.

You can get it from GNC, The Vitamin Shoppe or "www.bodybuilding.com" they are a little expense but I use to waste more money dining out. I only drink half of the bottle at a time so I drink it during my snack time. I also freeze the drink into little cups especially during our last few days of this heat wave instead of having sugar free Popsicles.

---------------

I have for Breakfast or lunch is chicken of the Sea Chunk Light tuna in Water, 2-Count Cups - Available in: Chunk Light Tuna or Skinless Boneless Pink Salmon - Protein 18g per cup and only 80 calories

Peel and eat — these easy-to-open cups give you a quick protein source. With no draining required, this wild-caught tuna and salmon is perfect for on-the-go lunches and Snacks. Enjoy them alone or toss them on salads! I really like this product because it already portion perfectly for us.

---------------

Egg Beaters® With Yolk Southwestern - Calories 40 and Protein 5g per severing size 1/4 cup. I love the bold taste which has red and green peppers, onions, and a mix of spices to a nutritious Breakfast table, with ≤ 2 g fat and ≤ 45 mg cholesterol per serving.

Make sure to check out the "food and Nutrition" section for more ideas.

the egg beaters southwestern sounds fabulous, i'm gonna have to check them out and try to find the on the go tuna too. thanks for the tips.

Hi guys , I was banded by Dr. Valin at ST. Rapheal's in New Haven a week ago today on 9/12/08. Yeah! Lost 10 pounds so far with no restriction. It's the easiest weight I EVER lost in my life. I'm a little scared of getting that first fill but...I'm generally very happy if you can't tell. We all go through so much to get that little band.

Hey Lap Band Momma - I will be getting my band with Dr. V in just under two weeks. I'm sure you know, but his staff all seems great - I am sure your fill will be no problem!

Hi Sara Jane. I'm going to see Dr. V Thrs. for my fisrt pre-op appointment. I pray he'll move me on from the liqiud stage to pureed/soft foods. The liquids are getting old. My biggest challegne is trying to get enough Protein in per day. After surgery you can only eat 2 ozs. per meal. 1 Atkins shake is 11 ozs. so like the dietician Diana said I'll take you all day to drink one. Then you can have one other "liquid meal" like 1/4 cup of Jello or Soup broth. I have to say I've been cheating and having 1/4 cup of any kind of Soup as long as it's been blended once or twice a day just to have something to chew. I tried to add Protein powder to my Protein Shake and it was disgusting. Diana said there are some flavorless Protein powders out there so I'll look for those. Please feel free to e mail me (kcerutti@aol.com) if you have any questions as we are close in our surgery dates. I will be 2 weeks post op Friday.

Banded 9/12

Start Weight 251

weight.png