Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sixties!

Welcome to AZ. I'm in the NW Valley by Surprise. I would recommend calling Robin Blackstone at Scottsdale Healthcare. I'm sure her office could recommend someone if your situation doesn't fit in their scope of practice. I have found Scottsdale Healthcare to be excellent and would highly recommend them. I know others who live in all areas of the valley and drive to Scottsdale Healthcare to see the Dr's because of their excellence.

Good luck and I hope you love living in AZ as much as I do. I moved here 2 yrs ago from FL.

Hi all- I am 64 and have been sleeved for almost 6 years. I am currently working on the 20+ lbs I have managed to put on the past 3 years……. it is not easy. I have lost 4 lbs the past 6 wks. But I know progress will be slow. Just retired and moved to Az, getting use to this new life style. I recently developed a "hole" in old c section scar and went to plastic surgeon to see if having some of my skin,etc. removed would help problem. He was no help……… wanted to do a Tummy Tuck, which insurance would not cover. But am glad to be moving forward and working on weight and health is a life long endeavor. It is hard to find a doctor that will take a patient from another state and this far out from my surgery……… anyone out there in the Tucson area?

Hello. I've been perusing posts for a couple of months in hope of finding someone who may have a problem losing like I am. I was "sleeved" on Ocotber 15 and have lost 43 pounds with a weight the day of surgery of 258. It has been a slow process with weeks of not losing, then dropping 5 or 10 at a time and then weeks of not showing any weight difference again. I had a setback 6 weeks ago where I had to have open abdominal surgery for an incarcerated, partially strangulated hernia. Now I am staple free and slowly getting back to my daily living. Believe me, this was far worse than the actual gastrectomy which I bounced back and returned to work within a week. So, even giving allowance for this last procedure, I feel I should be further along. Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding up the metabolism? I don't have much of an appetite and I think if I ate more, I would lose more.

Thanks for "listening".

Wishing you all health and happiness,

robynnk

I am only 53 but I have a wii u fit and did the fitness test and said my body was 65 oh no better get working out

Hello. I've been perusing posts for a couple of months in hope of finding someone who may have a problem losing like I am. I was "sleeved" on Ocotber 15 and have lost 43 pounds with a weight the day of surgery of 258. It has been a slow process with weeks of not losing, then dropping 5 or 10 at a time and then weeks of not showing any weight difference again. I had a setback 6 weeks ago where I had to have open abdominal surgery for an incarcerated, partially strangulated hernia. Now I am staple free and slowly getting back to my daily living. Believe me, this was far worse than the actual gastrectomy which I bounced back and returned to work within a week. So, even giving allowance for this last procedure, I feel I should be further along. Does anyone have any suggestions for speeding up the metabolism? I don't have much of an appetite and I think if I ate more, I would lose more.

Thanks for "listening".

robynnk

I'm sorry you had such a problem. My sister is a doctor. she tells me that major surgery releases cortisol which inhibits weight loss. I can only suggest that you keep food near you and try to get as much Protein as possible in. Eating stimulates the appetite. I've lost slowly too. I'm 67 and was sleeved October 7. i've lost 55 lbs and weigh 175. I'm tall so I look pretty good and wear a size 12 jean but need to lose another 20 lbs or so. If I can lose 1 lb a week these days i'm doing well.

Hello Sixtiers! Thank you Living Free for bringing this forum to my attention. I'm 62 with diabetes insulin dependent, HP, knee problems. I'm scheduled for the sleeve on June 24 and going through all the emotions everyone does. I know the weight isn't going to be as fast as if I was 30 but just pray there aren't complications and that I lose the weight and it stays away!! Keep posting everyone so we can help each other with our new journey :)

65 here and almost 8 months out. I was a low BMI and have reached my surgeon's goal. Have lost 49 lbs and couldn't be happier. Weight loss was slow compared to some, but right for me. How's everyone doing with exercise? I've been walking 2miles per day, but really need to do more.

I am 68 and see the surgeron on Tues. How did you tell your children and family members? I want to keep it quite and not have to explain to family why I did this? Help
! Thank you from Oregon

Margaret,

I didn't keep it quiet. I told my family, friends and of course close work colleagues. Everyone was and is still very supportive. I know it is very personal decision, but to me it was not a sign of weakness or failure. I believe everyone who undertakes this life changing procedure has to be very brave to do it.

Also, I think you are going to need some support from family and/or friends. I know I did because I live alone and had to rely on friends to help drive to and from the hospital and do things for me until I could do for myself, and it really did help to have family support even if it was long distance.

Wishing you the best for your upcoming procedure!

Robynn

I'm sorry you had such a problem. My sister is a doctor. she tells me that major surgery releases cortisol which inhibits weight loss. I can only suggest that you keep food near you and try to get as much Protein as possible in. Eating stimulates the appetite. I've lost slowly too. I'm 67 and was sleeved October 7. i've lost 55 lbs and weigh 175. I'm tall so I look pretty good and wear a size 12 jean but need to lose another 20 lbs or so. If I can lose 1 lb a week these days i'm doing well.

Thanks for "listening".

robynnk

Thanks so much for the post. I nver thought about cortisol. Makes perfect sense. I gained 20 pounds from the procedure and I thought it was from the IVs. It has taken two months for the swelling to subside. That must be the reason!

R.

Welcome to a great group. There was a lot of who to tell on I think the Feb/March sleevers. It's individual. I live alone and I only told a few close friends. 2 of whom had the surgery. Didn't tell my sons/wives. When people ask me about the weight loss I just tell them I cut my portion size way back and doing high Protein. True and all they need to know. It's an individual thing on who to tell.

I'm 3.5 mo's out and I have lost 26 lbs. Very slow loss but that is ok. I have no problems eating certain foods and just stop when I know I feel full. I've learned if I take 1 extra bite I start to slime. Took a few times of that happening for it to register when to say when.

I make sure I take my Vitamins and I walk in the pool at least 5x a wk for an hr. I go to Curves but have been lax on it lately.

My blood pressure is normal now, my Synthroid has been decreased and my arthritis doesn't hurt like it did. I've been able to not take pain meds except a Tylenol if I need it.

One negative is I have to take Prilosec due to acid indigestion which I never had prior to surgery. My surgeon told me this might happen. I had surgery in Feb and turned 67 in March. It was my bday present to myself for a healthier life.

Good luck

I am 68 and see the surgeron on Tues. How did you tell your children and family members? I want to keep it quite and not have to explain to family why I did this? Help
! Thank you from Oregon

I've told most people that are important to me, family & close friends. They are a great support group for me & I'm a motivation for some of them that are trying to lose weight. I think you have to do what you want to do, it's personal.

I will turn 64 in August and was sleeve 12/13/13. I've not felt this good or strong in, lord, don't remember when! I've lost 65 # and workout at least an hour everyday. My diabetes is practically nonexistent & my knee feels a lot better.

My only regret? I didn't do this many years ago! I wish you all the best in this endeavor.

I am 65. Waiting for clearance from cardiologist. Have to get a stress test, if that clears, I should get a surgery date shortly after. My surgeon is Dr Keith Kim in Celebration, Florida.

Has anyone else had the nuclear stress test, and were there any problems form that?

My husband had a terrible reaction to the dye from the nuclear test and other tests using the dye. It lasted several weeks. Research it. I know the dyes affect your kidneys. If you can do the walk on the treadmill, forego the nuclear. My sister also had a reaction. The doctors only recommend the nuclear if you are physically impaired I gather.
i had the nuclear test with the dye and had no problems with it!!

Has anyone tried to drink soda since being sleeved I would love to have a diet pepsi but don't want to "blow my self up" either.

I've drank soda with no problem. I can only sip it and just a little bit at a time. To not waste, I buy the little 7 oz cans. It takes me most of the day to finish off a small can. But I only indulge every once in a while. Sometimes I just want to experience that carbonated taste. So refreshing.

Has anyone tried to drink soda since being sleeved I would love to have a diet pepsi but don't want to "blow my self up" either.

I have been Diet Coke free for almost a year now and counting my blessings. For years I was so addicted and knew it was not good for my health. I trust the people who advise not going back on soda. I am just happy I have no desire for them anymore.