Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling All Sixties!

Hi all you sixties people. I am almost 67 and having the vsg on nov 7th hoping all goes well. I too am a fairly low bmi and know just from reading all these post that my weight loss will probably be a little slower. whatever I just want to see the loss. My husband was worried that I was to old but surgeon told him he operates on people in there 70's. looking forward to more info from this group. good luck to all

Good luck on your surgery. Still waiting to get insurance approval, they think my surgery will be sometime before Thanksgiving.

I'm 66 and Nov 12th I will be 1 year post sleeve. I was 225.5 at my highest weight at my first consultation. Weighed 136.2 this morning.... of course, I was in my birthday suit. Goal weight is 130 for normal BMI as I'm 5 feet 2 inches. Off meds for high blood pressure, cholesterol, all NAISDs, and many supplements. Still high Protein since I'm still losing. Couldn't be happier!! Last night I was at my daughter's who is a doctor and also had the surgery 2 years ago, and I was wearing size 12. I fit into her 8P slacks and she told me to go shopping again.!! My sister and brother don't acknowledge my weight loss and I think there is jealousy or they think it was stupid to spend the money. Don't know....but my friends are amazed at what I have accomplished and so am I. I have walked 2 5 k's and I have had total knee replacement as well as arthritis in my feet/toes. Water aerobics is my exercise of choice though! Good luck to the newbies. You can do this if you want it...not anyone else.

I'm 66 and Nov 12th I will be 1 year post sleeve. I was 225.5 at my highest weight at my first consultation. Weighed 136.2 this morning.... of course, I was in my birthday suit. Goal weight is 130 for normal BMI as I'm 5 feet 2 inches. Off meds for high blood pressure, cholesterol, all NAISDs, and many supplements. Still high Protein since I'm still losing. Couldn't be happier!! Last night I was at my daughter's who is a doctor and also had the surgery 2 years ago, and I was wearing size 12. I fit into her 8P slacks and she told me to go shopping again.!! My sister and brother don't acknowledge my weight loss and I think there is jealousy or they think it was stupid to spend the money. Don't know....but my friends are amazed at what I have accomplished and so am I. I have walked 2 5 k's and I have had total knee replacement as well as arthritis in my feet/toes. Water aerobics is my exercise of choice though! Good luck to the newbies. You can do this if you want it...not anyone else.

You are just the inspiration I needed for this. I am 63, 5'3", weight 250# and non insulin dependent diabetic. I was so hoping to hear from someone like you that lost more than my MD expects. I'm still waiting on insurance approval then will have surgery probably before Thanksgiving. Thanks again for your good news & keep up with the great work.

SassyTink:

You said: My concern is the leaking. If you follow the instructions given by the Dr. what are the chances of a leak? Once the six months after the surgery has past is there any chance that a staple will not hold? This is my only concern. The rest of my life I don't want to worry about every twinge and having to worry that a staple was not holding.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The staples are there to hold until the remaining stomach heals. That usually starts within days of the surgery, and is complete within 6-8 weeks. Once you're beyond that point, the chance of a leak is VERY small. After that the staples are just serving as reinforcement.

Jean Z, RN

my question is for mrsjumbo and of cours anyone else who experiences the same..you say gerd is a problem.can u medicate for it, does what you r eating cause it or does it just happen my surgery has been delayed because of gerd I didn't know I had and will know tomorrow if I am a go for nov 2. any advice eternally grateful

that's nov7th

To Loseitsoon I suffered with hives for over a year. Finally my internist told me to stop the tramadol that I was taking for my arthritic hip. By any chance do you take this supposediy benign drug? It is an opiad with bad side effects. Just turned 60 in June but way back in January 2013 I decided to make this the year of me. I have gone through all of the pre-surgery testing' date=' met with the surgeon, now awaiting the 6 month visit in November to schedule my surgery. Long arduous road, but well worth the journey. The best thing I did was find out I had severe sleep apnea. I love the C-Pap machine and feel 100% better!![/quote']

I take tramadol and I've had 2 bouts of hives this year. I eliminated a new muscle relaxer but maybe it is the tramadol?

Hello, Folks. I will be 62 this month, live in Albany, NY, and am waiting for my date. Lost 35 lbs on my own, only 100 to go. Thank goodness doctors will sleeve folks over 50. I am also a walker gal, but have graduated to occasional cane use. Woohoo. More to come. Just got the guts to post my before picture.

I love reading all the postings and good luck to all of you. I am 7 months post op and down 98# come on 100!!!!

I just turned 64 in October. My surgery is scheduled for November 20th and I start my liquid pre-op diet on Monday. Ready to do this.

Hi fellow sleevers. I am 68 and was sleeved October22. It has been quite a journey. My doctor found a hernia that he repaired then I had a problem with making sure my system was working to move food etc. through my body right, plus some extra bleeding. Stayed in the hospital an extra week. Now I am home and am currently doing pretty good. On a full liquid diet and I am so tired of that. I see my surgeon on Wednesday and prayerfully I hope to move to puréed food. I focus on staying hydrated as this is really important to me. I have began to hate Protein drinks so I think I will do better with powders and soft food.

I know in the future I will be happier with this process but right nowI can't be its best cheerleader. I am losing but quite frankly I have only gotten on the scale once. I will wait until I see my doctor and go from there.

I hope you are all doing well. I know ultimately this was a right decision!

So happy to find this geop, it is taking me some time to get used to the new layout of this website. Congratualtions to all on your weight loss surgeries and as time moves forward it will get better. It has been almost 8 months since my surgery and I have had 2 stalls along the way. I had my 1st one about 6 weeks post op and another one at 3 months. So for those of you having stalls hang in there the weight will come off and make sure you get enough Protein each day. I am down 101 pounds as of today and I am so excited but I need to keep on track since I have another 79 pouns to go. I have already boxed up 4 boxes of clothes and I am just now getting into clothes I have not worn in years and they seem to bee a little big on me but I need to keep them for awhile since they are all I have to wear. It is so good to see the Sixties group. I hope everyone has a great day.

I turned 60 two weeks ago! Had my surgery 8 weeks ago, and I am down 30 pounds (almost 50 lb. since I started the program 6 mos. ago)

I have been taken off 2 of my 3 blood pressure meds, and also off one of my pain medications for degenerative discs. So far this is the best

thing I have ever done for myself! I am feeling so much better! I even got on the floor with my 4 yr. old grandson and played board games

this past weekend :)

Surgery is finally set for 12/13/13!!! Never been so excited to have a surgery. At least I will get to eat Thanksgiving before I start pre-surgery diet.

I am bald to find this group. I am 60 and have started this process. Due to insurance requirements , I have to spend 90 days with dietitian. Hope to have surgery late March. Hope to get to know some of you!!