Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oh, I concur with Kirk that counseling might be a good idea. I went for nearly a year after my surgery to a therapist and I think therapy was just as important on my journey as anything I do food/water wise. I'm a totally different person mentally than I was pre-VSG, and it's not all related to the weight loss. :)

I had surgery on May 14th, too, and today I get to start FULL liquids. Not even soft or mushy foods...hell, I still have my drain in! I can't imagine trying to eat a hot dog and even though you're feeling horrible and say you won't do it again, I AM going to give you a bit of a verbal kick. What makes you think a HOT DOG is a decent Protein or food PERIOD? Even if you were desperate for something solid, there are many, MANY choices better than a hot dog. You could have tried some cottage cheese, or other soft cheese, yogurt, canned chicken, etc.

That said, do what others have suggested. Call your doctor to get their advice, and then go back to liquids for a couple of days. The more irritated/inflamed your stomach is, the more trouble you're going to have. So even WHEN this discomfort passes, if you try to eat a soft food, you're more likely to have MORE discomfort....it becomes a wicked cycle. Give your stomach time to recover and heal with more liquids.

Cinward, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! I made a terrible err in judgement, compounded by the fact that I know better, I have better feeds right here available to me, and that I've NEVER done anything so blatantly dangerous or irresponsible, I really feel every oz of crappy. I don't mean that in a pitiful way, i mean i feel as bad as I ought for not being in control of my body. This entire surgery was meant to facility that, putting me in more control of my choices and taking power away from my head hunger. You have spoken every bit of truth, Cinward, and I am thankful for that!! I am truly blessed and happy to know there are ppl here kind enough to donate their wisdom and kindness to a fellow sleever in need. I appreciate your reply, Cinward, and will continue on a full liquid diet, as well as closely monitoring all symptoms.

Why i would reward myself with a punishment is beyond me. .

This is an interesting thought, because I think we all "rewarded" ourselves with food and comforted ourselves with food. I know after surgery when I "needed" comfort the most, my old way of comforting was rudely yanked away from me... It made for some sad days in the beginning.

As for the punishment? I think that is part of the overeating thing too. Reward/punishment all at the same time. When I ate, I ate until there was pain, I "filled that hole" with pain and when it subsided I filled some more...

There is a lot for all of us to learn while we travel this road.

Laura

I hope you start to feel better! Thank you for sharing your honest story to warn the rest of us to stick with what the doctor says! I have my surgery on June 3 and will remember this!

Thank you Mulholk, and please let this be a lesson! I thought I was in control and one moment of weakness caused me all of this distress. We cannot afford to be slack for even a moment. Good luck with your procedure, I'm sure you'll do great!!! Thanks again!!

My only thought about treating the discomfort is to walk. Walking helps disperse the gas pain and often helps me after I've eaten a meal that made me uncomfortable (i.e. eaten too much). Perhaps it will help you get past the discomfort from that hot dog. At the least, it will help distract your mind and might allow you to drink more Water to help it pass through into your small intestine. Good luck.

Lissa, you are a total doll and I am absolutely going to walk!! In between doing replies I'm getting dressed. I appreciate the advice!

I had surgery April 30 and can barely drink my Protein drink or Water and have bad very little puréed food. But when I do have any of the above I too feel burning and pain. Like a ball stuck in my throat, and acid reflux, heaviness. I regret surgery. I'm also having a very sore sharp pain right below mid middle incision internally and if ya barely press there you feel a big hard ball. Is this normal?

Hi GG, everything except the hard ball I've also experienced. Every single symptom you've listed. Even though I was approved for mushy, I preferred liquids up until this debacle, and even that would give me these distressing symptoms. But I urge you, DO NOT REGRET

I am kind of scared for you. Hot dogs are on the list of foods that you should avoid forever. Please call your doctor, ok? And please let us know what your doctor says.

I had surgery April 30 and can barely drink my Protein drink or Water and have bad very little puréed food. But when I do have any of the above I too feel burning and pain. Like a ball stuck in my throat, and acid reflux, heaviness. I regret surgery. I'm also having a very sore sharp pain right below mid middle incision internally and if ya barely press there you feel a big hard ball. Is this normal?

SORRY, cut myself off there. I was saying do NOT regret your surgery!! In the long run it may well be the best decision for you. Sure everyone is different, but give it a chance, it is still very fresh for us! I know it can be a bit miserable physically, but I'll tell you what a good friend and fellow sleever told me, regarding the uncomfortable "gurgling" and "stuck in the throat feeling". She said while that feeling does get better, it doesn't fully go away in the first year, learn to love it. It's what will keep you from overeatting, it's your body finally talking to you in a way that you cannot tune out. I hope that helps you think of these symptoms differently. If you find that they are ultimately too bad to function, please speak to your surgeon. I pray all is well with you and will also get better! Thank you for your reply and concern!

I'm a pre-sleever & even I cringed reading your post! I can't help you but I will wish you the best & hope that nothing has been damaged. Please take care of yourself...if you don't...no one can help you. You went thru a huge ordeal, so I'm sure you won't repeat it, no matter how badly you want something.

This is an interesting thought, because I think we all "rewarded" ourselves with food and comforted ourselves with food. I know after surgery when I "needed" comfort the most, my old way of comforting was rudely yanked away from me... It made for some sad days in the beginning.

As for the punishment? I think that is part of the overeating thing too. Reward/punishment all at the same time. When I ate, I ate until there was pain, I "filled that hole" with pain and when it subsided I filled some more...

There is a lot for all of us to learn while we travel this road.

Laura

Laura, you're an angel. Thank you for relating your own experience. And indeed, I have learned one of my biggest lessons yet: doing well is NOT an excuse to do poorly. It is merely proof that I love myself enough. thank you. truly.

^ it isn't on my list of foods to avoid.

Jeffie Beck, Something I did pre-op to help me out whenever I get that ravenous crazy feeling was write down a list of foods that i could have at each stage. Now when I hit each stage I am able to try it out and see how my body reacts. If it doesn't like something then I try it again at a later date.

Right now it takes me about 45 minutes to eat 5 oz of food without real discomfort. Take your time and savor new foods and don't give into to head hunger. Stay strong. {{{hugs}}} & <3

Let´s put it this way. It´s a good lesson to learn if anyone is thinking about what would happen if you do eat what you can´t have!

That's exactly why I chose to put myself out there and post. While I learn, hopefully so can others. I hope.

Very true, Pixie!!

I'm a pre-sleever & even I cringed reading your post! I can't help you but I will wish you the best & hope that nothing has been damaged. Please take care of yourself...if you don't...no one can help you. You went thru a huge ordeal, so I'm sure you won't repeat it, no matter how badly you want something.

Very true, Pixie, nothing like this will happen again!! My experience is indeed cringe worthy, as is my current anxiety. I feel awful but I also am learning a very important and hard lesson about myself. I greatly appreciate your well wishes, it really means a lot, Pixie.

^ it isn't on my list of foods to avoid.

Jeffie Beck, Something I did pre-op to help me out whenever I get that ravenous crazy feeling was write down a list of foods that i could have at each stage. Now when I hit each stage I am able to try it out and see how my body reacts. If it doesn't like something then I try it again at a later date.

Right now it takes me about 45 minutes to eat 5 oz of food without real discomfort. Take your time and savor new foods and don't give into to head hunger. Stay strong. {{{hugs}}} & <3

Wow Kulita, thank you, that was a very helpful tip!! There are certainly foods I miss, I will take the time to tgo through them and find the ones I can have, and mark days on my calendar where it's safe to try them. It will give me something to look forward too and also help me remain accountable for my progress. Great idea, thank yoU!!! I apprecaite your kind words and well wishes. Wishing you all the best on your success as well!!