Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let me just open by saying, yes I effed up BIG TIME :wacko::( !! I have been on mostly liquids since surgery Tues May 14, even though my doctor approved me for soft/mushy foods. So at around 4am EST I had an intense food craving, and i new I wanted meat (I"m guessing my body was craving Protein, but I had already had around 60g of Protein via shakes/Pro-Stat). So asked my husband to cook up a hot dog on the stove, which he reluctantly did. We ground it up with a knife (not pureed, mistake #2) and I began to nibble on it. To my astonishment I ate the entire thing, rather quickly!! The first thing I've finished since before surgery, I don't even get through a cup of Water in one sitting. I know I was eating from my head, not stomach.

Ever since, I've felt terrible!! First it felt as if the hot dog was just sort of sitting there between my esophagus and stomach. I've had incessant painful gurgling ever since. I tried drinking some Water, without waiting the 30 mins, becuase it was my goal to wash it down and out of my system. Not much reliefe at all. I tried laying down, but at around 8:45am the discomfort and pain was unbearable. I wanted to vomit but my body didn't let me. I would get passing feelings of nausea, even down to the over-salivating, but still nothing. I contemplated sticking my finger in my throught (panic makes you think crazy things), but I didn't. I had a sort of pain in my chest, as if someone had been sitting on it. But now that pain has become more of a heartburn like feeling. I tried taking gas-x a few hours ago, then a Pepcide later on, and most recently a Calcium carbonate antacid, just before writing this. I only feel slightly relieved, very slightly. I also have slight stomach cramps (I'm sure this is from the combination of hot dog and all these funky drugs now in my tummy).

I feel awful and terribly nervous that i've destroyed my sleeve. I realize this may be a bit irrational, probably post-sleever's guilt, but still. I wil never EVER cheat again. Can someone just share if they've had a similar experience? Am I in real trouble? Will this discomfort pass on its own, or is there something I can take? Any advice (even verbal kicks in the butt) are all welcome, I just want to feel better and stay on the straight and narrow from here on out. Please help. Thanks so much for reading!

I'm not going to give you a verbal kick in the butt, even though you know you messed up big time. I hope you learned that lesson that you cannot eat anything solid yet! Head hunger is a killer.... You should probably call your doctor and keep an eye out for any signs of a leak, i.e. throwing up bile, blood, etc. I seriously doubt that you've destroyed your sleeve, but you definitely need to stick to the diet your doctor prescribed. I have heard stories about people who ate solid food too quickly and had major problems, but I've never known those people personally, so can't verify if they are true. Good luck and get back to your liquids/soft foods phase. It might be a good idea to drop back a stage for a couple of days to give your sleeve time to recover.... I'm treating your post as if it's a sincere post rather than a troll....

Well it sounds like you have learned a hard lesson. There's really now too much I can say right now except that it will pass with time. The reason the surgeon's don't want you to have those foods is because it can cause your staple line to have a leak. Your stomach is not healed yet and very delicate to solid foods put in your stomach. I am hoping that you have been lucky and urge you to drink liquids for a couple of days. If the pain doesn't stop,go into the ER to have it checked out. They can do a CT. Please baby your stomach right now by liquids......

What's a troll?

My word that was very distressing to read. Your stomach at this point is still "numb"

So the fact that you were able to cram the whole dog in doesn't surprise me...

When you do go back to eating please only eat things that are on plan this early out and measure! No more than 1/4 cup at a meal..

My other concern would be for getting an upper hand on any food addiction issues you may have.

From experience I know that this surgery will not cure that, it is something we have to work very hard at.

Good luck to you,

Laura

Oh and as Lisa said above look for symptoms that may indicate a leak and call the doctor right away of you are showing signs.

I had surgery on May 14th, too, and today I get to start FULL LIQUIDS. Not even soft or mushy foods...hell, I still have my drain in! I can't imagine trying to eat a hot dog and even though you're feeling horrible and say you won't do it again, I AM going to give you a bit of a verbal kick. What makes you think a HOT DOG is a decent Protein or food PERIOD? Even if you were desperate for something solid, there are many, MANY choices better than a hot dog. You could have tried some cottage cheese, or other soft cheese, yogurt, canned chicken, etc.

That said, do what others have suggested. Call your doctor to get their advice, and then go back to liquids for a couple of days. The more irritated/inflamed your stomach is, the more trouble you're going to have. So even WHEN this discomfort passes, if you try to eat a soft food, you're more likely to have MORE discomfort....it becomes a wicked cycle. Give your stomach time to recover and heal with more liquids.

What's a troll?

Someone who posts something intentionally inflammatory and usually not true. A poster whose primary purpose is to create drama and stir things up.

I'm not going to give you a verbal kick in the butt, even though you know you messed up big time. I hope you learned that lesson that you cannot eat anything solid yet! Head hunger is a killer.... You should probably call your doctor and keep an eye out for any signs of a leak, i.e. throwing up bile, blood, etc. I seriously doubt that you've destroyed your sleeve, but you definitely need to stick to the diet your doctor prescribed. I have heard stories about people who ate solid food too quickly and had major problems, but I've never known those people personally, so can't verify if they are true. Good luck and get back to your liquids/soft foods phase. It might be a good idea to drop back a stage for a couple of days to give your sleeve time to recover.... I'm treating your post as if it's a sincere post rather than a troll....

@lissa thank you so much for your stern advice and no, I am no troll. I am real person who made a really stupid mistake and is suffering for it. That's why your reply really means so much to me. I will absolutley be doing nothing but liquids for the next few days at least. And will watch my symptoms closely. Do you have any similar experience you can share, or any idea what I coud take/do now to alleviate symptoms? I feel awful about this and am eager to fix it and get back on track pronto!

Well it sounds like you have learned a hard lesson. There's really now too much I can say right now except that it will pass with time. The reason the surgeon's don't want you to have those foods is because it can cause your staple line to have a leak. Your stomach is not healed yet and very delicate to solid foods put in your stomach. I am hoping that you have been lucky and urge you to drink liquids for a couple of days. If the pain doesn't stop,go into the ER to have it checked out. They can do a CT. Please baby your stomach right now by liquids......

I am goinng to treat my stomach like an infant going forward, thank you for the kind wisdom and advice, Ms. Skinniness!! i wasn't aware that the risk was that severe and I'm trying to fight anxiety. Such a stupid move on my part. I'm stronger than this. I got through a 2 week pre-surgery liquid diet NO SLEEVE without cheating once, even though I lost very little weight. I can't believe I would do something this irresponsible. I'm pissed at myself.

I say this with genuine sincerity and concern: Please get into intense psychotherapy to address your eating disorder.

My word that was very distressing to read. Your stomach at this point is still "numb"

So the fact that you were able to cram the whole dog in doesn't surprise me...

When you do go back to eating please only eat things that are on plan this early out and measure! No more than 1/4 cup at a meal..

My other concern would be for getting an upper hand on any food addiction issues you may have.

From experience I know that this surgery will not cure that, it is something we have to work very hard at.

Good luck to you,

Laura

Oh and as Lisa said above look for symptoms that may indicate a leak and call the doctor right away of you are showing signs.

Thanks so much for replying, Laura. Yes, this is increadibly distressing. I will be so very careful going forward I cannot even tell you! Its strange and out of character for me actually, I have Type 1 diabetes in excellent control, so I have plenty of self control (normally) when eating and choosing foods. Why the heck I did this, I have no idea!! This craving was so strong, and I suppose I was in "reward myself" mode after succesffuly completing a 2 week liquid diet with zero cheating. Why i would reward myself with a punishment is beyond me. I'm really so pissed at myself. I really appreciate your concern, and I'm aksing for everyone's prayers. I have learned a very very hard lesson, to quote Ms. Skinniness. I take none of this, or your replies, lightly. Thanks, again Laura.

I say this with genuine sincerity and concern: Please get into intense psychotherapy to address your eating disorder.

I genuinely appreciate your sincere concern, Kirk!! I really really do. Please see my reply to Laura above in regards to my addiction/or eating disorder. I will speak with my NUT and the psych at my surgeon's office about what this very rare misstep means. I have a lot to learn about what I think my body is telling me and what it actually needs. This moment of weeakness and irresponsibility has truly opened my eyes to what I'm capable of when not on my p's and q's under stress. Very ugly. And will seek to address it ASAP through the appropriate channels. Again your concern is very much appreciated. Please throw a prayer in there for me as well! It's great knowing there are people in this forum that mean each other well, you guys are awesome!

I hope you start to feel better! Thank you for sharing your honest story to warn the rest of us to stick with what the doctor says! I have my surgery on June 3 and will remember this!

My only thought about treating the discomfort is to walk. Walking helps disperse the gas pain and often helps me after I've eaten a meal that made me uncomfortable (i.e. eaten too much). Perhaps it will help you get past the discomfort from that hot dog. At the least, it will help distract your mind and might allow you to drink more Water to help it pass through into your small intestine. Good luck.

I had surgery April 30 and can barely drink my Protein Drink or Water and have bad very little puréed food. But when I do have any of the above I too feel burning and pain. Like a ball stuck in my throat, and acid reflux, heaviness. I regret surgery. I'm also having a very sore sharp pain right below mid middle incision internally and if ya barely press there you feel a big hard ball. Is this normal?