Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"I'm praying for you!"

Ugh, I'm gearing up to hear a lot of that from family members prior to my surgery. I know I'll have to play it nice and just thank them because they mean well, but ughh. I'll just mentally grimace, lol.

I definitely get this a lot, as I am sure anyone who has surgery probably does. I just say thank you. It helps me to think of it as "I'm thinking about you/worrying about you/hoping the best for you." I may not be a believer, but it's always nice to have people rooting for you, that's for sure!

Anyone care to explain what all these religious types are doing on an atheist/agnostic board? It's pretty obnoxious.

Anyone care to explain what all these religious types are doing on an atheist/agnostic board? It's pretty obnoxious.

People of faith are insecure narcissists and the fact that there are people who haven't bought the lie hook, line, and sinker causes them mental anguish and cognitive dissonance. They then disregard all the teachings they supposed believe in and attack those who dare to have minds of their own, because the insecurity makes them realize their beliefs are ridiculous.

As to the thread topic... when someone tells me that "they'll pray for me," my standard response is, "Thanks! I'll name one of my shits after you." When they protest, just tell them that it's only fair that you match their complete lack of effort or action with one of your own.

I don't mind the prayers, I just mind the passive aggressive mentions of them.

For some reason, I doubt they are sincere. ;) If they are, why not just do it instead of telling everyone about it?

I don't mind the prayers, I just mind the passive aggressive mentions of them.

For some reason, I doubt they are sincere. ;) If they are, why not just do it instead of telling everyone about it?

For the same reason Tim Tebow does his prayer schtick; it's "conspicuous piety," which is actually specifically spoken against in their book of lies. But they conveniently forget that (when it suits them), just like all the other bits they conveniently forget when it goes against what they want to do.

Speaking of religion.... can someone please change the automatic member title thingy on my profile that says "aspiring evangelist"

Im starting to get a good reputation hahahhaha

Edited by AussieGirl81

I was raised Catholic, an Atheist twenty years, and am non denominational Christian now. I have tons of Atheist friends and friends from differing religious backgrounds.

I keep my views to myself and don't proselytize, and generally find many Christians very unchristian, and most practitioners of faith very much unlike their faith. I find some Atheists embittered. Good and bad in anything. I honestly try not to judge and let people go their own way, I figure it's their bit. Most Christians and atheists haven't bothered to study theology or critically look at it anyway.

I've told loved ones they'll be in my prayers and meant it. I do pray, I also offer to help them out anyway I can, or put together care packages depending on what they need or what the occasion is. I generally read two pages of the Bible in the morning or evening, contemplate and then pray for my loved ones and myself, especially concerning troubling issues.

I guess the point is, no matter what ones faith or lack of is, to just try and be a good example to others and kind, or patient, is the important thing to me. Nobody is perfect but I guess it's where a person's heart is coming from that matters.

It wouldn't matter to me if someone couldn't spend money on me by putting together a care package, or if they offered to say a simple prayer if I knew they love me and their heart means well. It's about character, I suppose.

To me someone saying "I'll pray for you" is like saying "I'll keep you in my thoughts." There is nothing wrong with that in my personal opinion.

On 4/23/2017 at 4:20 PM, MBird said:

I was raised Catholic, an Atheist twenty years, and am non denominational Christian now. I have tons of Atheist friends and friends from differing religious backgrounds.

I keep my views to myself and don't proselytize, and generally find many Christians very unchristian, and most practitioners of faith very much unlike their faith. I find some Atheists embittered. Good and bad in anything. I honestly try not to judge and let people go their own way, I figure it's their bit. Most Christians and atheists haven't bothered to study theology or critically look at it anyway.

I've told loved ones they'll be in my prayers and meant it. I do pray, I also offer to help them out anyway I can, or put together care packages depending on what they need or what the occasion is. I generally read two pages of the Bible in the morning or evening, contemplate and then pray for my loved ones and myself, especially concerning troubling issues.

I guess the point is, no matter what ones faith or lack of is, to just try and be a good example to others and kind, or patient, is the important thing to me. Nobody is perfect but I guess it's where a person's heart is coming from that matters.

It wouldn't matter to me if someone couldn't spend money on me by putting together a care package, or if they offered to say a simple prayer if I knew they love me and their heart means well. It's about character, I suppose.

To me someone saying "I'll pray for you" is like saying "I'll keep you in my thoughts." There is nothing wrong with that in my personal opinion.

This is such a spot on post. This forum is dead and if you could ever wonder why is because there's no support, just people whining about religion and finding things to get offended by. Just one skim here and I was like hell naw. Not much camaraderie to be built on such a shoddy premise. If anything demonstrates why I prefer to not be anywhere near other non-religious people (besides wife and daughter).

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I admit, some of you definitely have valid points. Positive energy is better than negative energy. But I should probably clarify my thoughts on the matter.
When I made my initial post, I was thinking of family members only. I'm actually only telling about 4 family members, and they're all very deeply Christian. They regularly tell me they're praying to Jesus to speak to me so that I'll finally "grow up" and start believing. As if that's the inevitable eventuality and I have no choice in the matter. So I suppose that, for me personally, it can sometimes feel like a very subtle attack on my way of life for one of these family members to tell me they're praying for me. Of course, I always just reply "thank you, I love you too"and then try desperately to change the subject, haha. (I think I was also mad at them when I posted this because I had only told TWO family members and told them to keep their traps shut, but then suddenly two more family members know, surprise surprise. Dang busybodies.)
This absolutely doesn't apply to strangers or co-workers or anybody else who doesn't know I'm an atheist. With them, I accept the face value positivity of their statement, and move on.
I hope that clears things up, haha. [emoji4]

Well, you did it. You opened up the religion vs non religion can of worms. Lol

Lord almighty give us strength. [emoji849]Jesus, I just accidentally prayed for us all... [emoji44]
Oh God, why do we speak of religion even in normal sarcastic remarks!!![emoji31]

[emoji12]

I am actually a Christian and I'm very secure in my relationship with God. Oh! And I believe in science - most of it. Awesome, now can we all settle down with our proclamations of beliefs because nothing good can come from this thread being taken further than what the author intended to do (vent).

HW: 328 (02/22/17)
SW: TBD
CW: 288

Pounds disowned to date: 40

When people say "I'll pray for you" to someone they know is a nonbeliever it is a subtle attack on the atheist's way of thinking. When someone says it to another person who they don't know what their religious beliefs are, they are projecting their own religion onto that person. Either way it's a way to force religion into the conversation and it's also a way for the religious person to assert their "rightness". What may appear as well wishing is actually a form of manipulation. This manipulation becomes clearer when we substitute the word pray for the word sacrifice. "Hey June, heard you are having surgery soon, I'll make sure to sacrifice a dog for you." The religious person is actually excluding June's beliefs and wishes and indulging in their own. It would be far less offensive to say "Hey June, heard you are having surgery, is there anything you would like for me to do?" keeps the well wishing focused on June and her actual experience, not the belief system of the religious person. "You'll be in my thoughts" is still selfish false sentimentality from the point of the believer, but it doesn't thrust their own religious perspective into the conversation so it functions as a better phrase.

I can not believe what I am reading. If I say I am gonna pray for someone I am not projecting my religion. I am simply saying I will ask my God to look over you. If you don't believe that's all well and good. But it never hurts to have someone thinking about you.