Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does this ever NOT WORK for anyone?

Hey, just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this not working for anyone? I am 3 weeks post op and have only lost 10 pounds, and within the past week gained back 1.5 pounds of that. I'm starting to get paranoid that this won't work. I knew I would hit stalls...but this is super early.

Some people are just slower at losing the weight. I myself am a little over 2 months out and haven't lost nearly as much as the others that had surgery that same day. Keep your head up and make sure your doing exactly what your doctor is telling you to do. You will get there, just don't get down on your self it will make it harder on you! Good Luck!!

I am 3 weeks post op today as well..I lost 20 pounds the first two weeks and have lost nothing since. Everyone keeps telling me this happened to them too and to just hang in there and keep doing what your doing and eventually the stall will end...I'm hoping..good luck too..

Keep in mind that the sleeve is only a tool. Its purpose to to restrict the amount of food that you can take in at any given time. The rest is up the person that has been sleeved. Success is going to be determined by how committed a person is to making it be successful. The surgery was on the stomach only, not on the head, so re-learning or learning from scratch new eating habits, getting the proper amount of exercise and following the eating plan set up by your nutritionist and your Dr. are the real keys to making the surgery successful.

I don't know the answer to that because I refuse to not make it work.

I can't point to specific posts, but I know I've read some stories of folks this "didn't work" for. Ask yourself if you are doing everything as you are supposed to. Are you getting in all your Water and Protein? What stage food are you at? If you can honestly answer yes, then just try to be patient. You're taking in far less calories than before and your body is taking a little bit of time to adjust. How are you feeling otherwise?

A lot of people (myself included) hit stalls at 3 weeks out, so it is not so uncommon.

I know you are not really far out from surgery, but are you tracking your foods with a program like Myfitnesspal?

This for me has been a big help in keeping track of what i'm taking in on a daily basis.

Good luck!!

I was a slow loser at first. It never was an issue for me whether it would work. I am a science oriented kinda guy. My research indicated that the possibility of it not working was remote to impossible. That much food in + regular activity and exercise when feasible = goal weight.

My science was right, my sleeve-style kung-fu was strong. B)

My time on the scale was really fascination as to how my body was dumping the fat, not doubt as to whether it would. My stalls were just a curiosity.

Yes, I'm using my fitness pal to track what I eat, never get in more than 800 calories. I'm on soft foods now. I always get in at least 60 grams of Protein, I walk 30-45 min most days. The only thing I haven't been good at is getting all my fluids in, I probably get in about 40 or 45 oz/day.

Silly question...but are you "regular"? Did you know the human intestines can hold up to 25lbs of waste? If you aren't getting in your Water...perhaps, things aren't being "flushed out" properly. Just a thought ;)

It's just not possible for your body to function normally and not be burning fat if it's only receiving 800 calories of "energy" from what you eat. And on top of that you are exercising...so that's more calories burned a day on top of your BMR (the base calories your body would need to perform normal functions if you just sat all day).

So don't worry...the scale will follow...

Silly question...but are you "regular"? Did you know the human intestines can hold up to 25lbs of waste? If you aren't getting in your Water...perhaps, things aren't being "flushed out" properly. Just a thought ;)

It's just not possible for your body to function normally and not be burning fat if it's only receiving 800 calories of "energy" from what you eat. And on top of that you are exercising...so that's more calories burned a day on top of your BMR (the base calories your body would need to perform normal functions if you just sat all day).

So don't worry...the scale will follow...

Good point, Rebecca. Elimination is the oft forgotten element of weight loss. Water consumption is paramount, harder to get in the beginning is Fiber with our emphasis on Protein. Benefiber is helpful before adequate vegetable intake is possible. Exercise is an element as well.

I remember taking a friend of mine for a one day free workout at my gym. He weighed himself and then did a light workout . He was quite a sedentary guy so the light workout was a big deal for him. He got a tremendous stomach pain and went to the bathroom. He emerged smiling a few minutes later and promptly weighed himself. 3 pounds lighter. :huh:

I have not sleeved yet, but I did read a really good post where somebody added a link to an article stating that stalls in the beginning are very normal. When your body goes into shock from the liquid diet, it automatically uses your insulin stores to supplement itself with the energy it needs to sustain itself. Somehow (I don't remember exactly how), this process flushes out a lot of your Water weight. That is why there is typically such a large loss of weight immediately following surgery. However, once the body realizes that you are not going to supplement it with the amount of food you once consumed, it starts to conserve itself once again--adding BACK the water weight you had originally lost. This is the "stall" that people are seeing or experiencing. You are not gaining back weight from fat or excess eating, but you are adding on water weight.

Also, remember that when you are exercising—especially if you just started—not only do you begin to burn fat, but you begin to build muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat! Somebody who is built with lots of muscle can way more than a person who is bigger than they are because their fat mass weighs less than muscle mass!!! Often times people believe that they have plateaued or “stalled”, when in fact they are still losing the fat and inches!

Such great advice in this thread! I love it!! Just stick to your program and it will happen. Think positive!!!

So your saying that I literally can be full of sh*t ?

:o

Literally, not full, maybe abundantly feciated. Metaphorically, depends on what one defines as sh*t. One man's sh*t is another man's potpourri. To be full of it can be good or crappy. :wacko:

So your saying that I literally can be full of sh*t ?

:o

Ummmmmmm...... That's a rhetorical question, right?