Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone here a patient of Dr. Davey/Dr. Birch in Edmonton?

the clinic in edmonton is only funded to do 100 (i think) per year which explains the extrememly long waiting list. so you can imagine which 10 are getting the band - the very sick, ++co-morbidities, etc. This also might explain why dr. birch had only done 50 in 5 years depending on when that was. the program is a lot different than TO, counselling, dietician, psych, etc. - lots of "tests" before getting surgery, if you get surgery. there is no guarantee that a referral means surgery. ultimately, it is always better to lose weight without the surgery but that doesn't make it any easier for those of us who have the weight but not the co morbidities, "too healthy" is what i was told despite the fact i have 90 lbs to lose. the program i think certainly prepares you better for what is to come if you do get surgery and in my opinion, it would be nice if everyone could get that education before surgery. it would be my choice to go through the program and then get the surgery. but that just won't happen in edmonton. i'm paying myself, surgery is june 3 at swlc.

Hey mommyof4, are you from Edmonton?? I don't see very many Edmontonians hanging around here these days.....I disappeared for awhile and now I'm back on the boards but many of the people from before don't hang out here anymore :blushing:

hey becca

yep, i'm in the chuk! congrats on your baby girl by the way! did they have to completely defill your band when you realized you were preggers? good for you for getting right back on the horse! dr. m is doing my surgery. how has the post-op follow-up been. i find they're pretty slow to get back to me on my emails which is a little worrisome. i'd like to feel confident that if i have something come up that they will follow up with me asap. how was your experience there overall? my biggest worry right now is all the pb'ing i keep reading about? was that a problem with you? where are you getting your fills? i'm thinking i will probably go to red deer. do you pay for them? seems like they don't have to pay for fills in grand prairie - nost sure why we are paying then. anyway - feel free to hand out any advice, suggestions, etc. this is day 3 of Optifast - didn't feel like i was starving to death all day and headache is gone today. but i'm dying for something dry and crunchy!

I have to admit that the post op follow up has not been the greatest in terms of support. But when you need help they are there for you. For example, I had a fill on a Thursday before the long weekend (big mistake that you will learn to never do again) and found I was way too tight and had to go back in for a defill on a Saturday and I was able to contact someone right away.

The way it works for me is I get my fills done in St.Albert with Dr.Daviduck (he is AWESOME), he will only do fills for Dr.Cobourn or Dr.Mumford's patients, he was trained personally by Dr.Cobourn and knows exactly where Dr.Cobourn places his ports. He charges $75 a fill and will not charge you for a de-fill if needed.

I'm not sure why SWLC didn't tell you about Dr.Daviduck.....why drive all the way to Red Deer if you don't have too??

I was defilled from 6cc to 3cc when I got pregnant so I pretty much had no restriction at that point.

My overall experience with SWLC has been really good. They are very organized and your surgery will go great. The staff are great.

I know how hard the Optifast is and I dont' have any advice to make it easier cause I thought it tasted like #$%^.

As for PB's, only when I'm too tight. Feel free to message me privately if you have more questions or want to get together for coffee! It's great to have support close by!

Does anyone know what the wait time is like now in Edmonton?! I don't know if I want to wait a few years to get this done!!!!

Hi, does anyone out there know if I can get fills in northern Alberta, (Edmonton, Grande Prairie, Edson, etc.) or northern British Columbia (Fort St. John - Dawson Creek, Prince George, Etc.) I have Saskatoon, Victoria, Vancouver and Calgary as my nearest, all require a very long trip. I appreciate any help. Thanks