Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extended release anti-depressants

Hey everyone, just wondering if anyone knows of any problems with the extended release anti-depressants after VSG. I'm not really good with medical/pharmaceutical terminology but my concern is basically that the extended release tablets keep the medicine going for a lot longer than the non extended release meds. I don't know with such a small stomach pouch if it will cause it to not release as well or release too quickly. Anyone have any experience?

Doc hasn't said anything about not being able to take my meds. I definitely can't see going through this experience without them!

I am on cymbalta and it is all good here.

This is a really good question. My surgeon would not involve himself w/ my meds. I was unable to get an appt w/ my MD prior to the surgery & this was a large stressor the first 2 weeks postop.

I opened my Effexor XR & drank the tiny little balls in one tbls milk. The drug worked fine, I did not feel any difference.

I take Lamictal 200 mg daily, I crushed this & again drank the powder down in 1 oz of milk, when I did get into my MD, she wanted the Lamictal to be liquid form so she wrote a new prescription for the duration of my liquid/purée diet.

Crushing those pills and drinking down the powder was the 2nd thing I dreaded each day. I tried putting them in 1 oz of milk or more but then I would have to get all that awful tasting liquid down & I had no more room, I was happier when I started doing each pill in one ounce.

While in the hospital they would not give me my pills, I thought they would supply the liquid or crush them. I thought they would help. This was not the case, they just said don't take them. I get dizzy, can start crying the same day if I miss a dose so again, this was the 2nd most stressful part. In hindsight, I guess I should have just bucked up and faced not taking them for the 2 days I was in the hospital.

I hope my learning curve on how to get the pills down during the liquid/purée phase helps you. Nothing can mask the taste so my only trick was the tiny one tablespoon & doing this in a small shot glass. GOOD LUCK

I take Effexor XR and do great!

Hi Everyone :)

I know this is a very late reply but I'm very nervous about being sleeved and still being able to take Effexor XR. I have read conflicting information and experiences about swallowing pills and opening capsuls.

I get discontinuation symptoms the first day I miss or forget a dose (dizzy, shaky, nausea) and I'm concerned I won't be able to take my meds right after surgery. The 150mg pill is almost an inch long...were any of you able to swallow this right after surgery (LadyKatie)?

And roships, did any of the little balls get caught in your mouth or throat?

Thanks everyone!!!

I take the same dose of Effexor. My heart meds along with every other pills, taste absolutely awful from the bitterness. As far as capsules with the beads inside, those go down easy in yogurt (no fruit chunks, must be smooth) and in no sugar added applesauce. Just don't be tempted to bite into the beads they are nasty and bitter too. They put me on Pradaxa for my atrial fibrillation and it tastes terrible.

Thanks acs! How did you take them right after surgery?

I took my heart meds the morning after my first night at the hospital. They crushed them and added them to diluted apple juice in a medicine cup. I took the Effexor later on that night at home. Don't try mixing the capsule granules with jello... Yuck, tasted terrible. Yogurt or applesauce mask the bitterness better.

So, you were able to eat yogurt the day after surgery? I'm supposed to be on liquids only for a while afterwards.

I've been able to swallow my psych meds. The one I have trouble with is Lamictal. I plan to talk with my psych about this this week. Been able to swallow since day after surgery. Just asked two nurses at work, when you open a time released capsule, its no longer time released.

I take the same dose of effexor xr. I took the pill on the morning of surgery, I didn't take the pill the day after surgery but the next day I did. I just took the pill with Water - nothing else. I have been taking them since (5 weeks out) and doing fine. I was worried to because of the horrible withdrawal side effects I get. But no problem here. Hope this helps. Oh and I didn't crush or anything because they don't work as xr if you do that.

Thanks everybody :)

I have been very nervous about being able to take them post-op as well as wondering if there would be any issues with absorption after being sleeved. But thankfully, it sounds like it's all manageable. Surgery is this Wednesday so I'll drop in after and report how it goes!

Just thought I'd provide an update :)

Surgery went great and I was able to take my XRs the day after surgery. I just opened the capsule and emptied it into the back of my mouth and then took a couple small sips of Water to wash em down.

I'm able to swallow the 37.5 now but still open the 75mg and have not had any discontinuation symptoms. In the past I would feel withdrawals in the afternoon if I forgot to take them in the morning.

Wow! I had to switch my Wellburtin XL 300 mg to now taking 3 100 mg twice daily. I am struggling. My anixity is through the roof some days/nights.