Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fertility Treatments vs. VSG surgery

Well I really need some feed back on this one. Do I begin fertilty treatments or have the surgery first? The problem is the age factor. My ob/gyn has told us because of issues with my husband and my age we would need fertility treatments to have a higher chance of concieving. However, he is not willing to do treatments after 46 years of age and guess who turns 46 this year, ME! He is willing to try 3 cycles which will give me a weight gain of course. The road to surgery is just lacking insurance approval, waiting on me to tell them to submit. If I have the surgery I woudl have to wait a year before we could try and that puts me closer to 48.

I have fought thru months of mental and emotional stress, research, reading, praying all to get to a comfortable place about doing the surgery now this. And it's a major this! My ob/gyn has no issues with my weight or co-morbities because they are "controlled" with meds. I am confused as to which way to I go. Any comments are shared experiences would ne greatly appreciated. Thinking about the increased weight with treatments and pregnancy if that would be healthy enough to carry a baby. So many things whirling around in my mind.

ipb.global.registerReputation( 'rep_post_715133', { domLikeStripId: 'like_post_715133', app: 'forums', type: 'pid', typeid: '715133' }, parseInt('0') );

The only difference between a good day and bad day is your attitude. Make it a Great Day!!

You have plenty of time to do the surgery, but your window is quickly closing for the fertility treatments. I would do the treatments first!

I am in the same boat but a little younger. I chose to get sleeved first just because I am in my late 30's and might get pregnant when I loose the weight. We have been trying for 6 years.

If this doesn't help us I am going to start treatments in 2 years.

I attribute the weight loss I achieved when I was banded at the age of 35 with the conception and birth of my two little girls born when I was 37 and 39! I had been trying for years prior to the banding to get pregnant. The weight loss made me fertile again and it just might do the same for you!! I wish you luck with your efforts to have children! My girls mean way more to me than being thin did!!!

Unfortunately I gained all my weight back with these pregnancies and could never get the band to work again for me which is why I am here now!! I am bummed about gaining all my weight back but I so do not regret having my little girls!! But now here I go again :) Getting sleeved at the end of this month. Hopefully to lose this weight for the LAST time!!!

Hello~

I'm just wanted to chime in because I did infertility treatments. I did 6 rounds of Clomid with no luck, but then I did 1 round of Gonal-F and was pregnant with twins! I was 260 when I got pregnant and had a very healthy pregnancy. Good luck with whichever path you choose!

Kate

Thank you all so much for the comments and suggestions. Meeting with ob in a few weeks.

I was 235 with my twins (one did not make it) and 250 with my quadruplets (all healthy and doing great) and used fertility treatments both pregnancies, not IVF I was 26 with first pg and 30 when quads were born. I'm now in the category of not wanting more than the 5 little blessings we currently have so I am going to ask the doctor if I can have my tubes tied at the same time I have the sleeve done.

I would try for the baby first based on statistics of age. I was 230 and got pregnant with fertility shots at the age of 36 and 39. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

I feel this same way i am hoping the surgery will help me have a baby good luck

At 46 I would say now or never if you have your heart set on a baby.

If you are on the fence about it, then do your sleeve and then investigate options. Don't rush into fertility treatments just because time is running out. Not everyone has children, and those that don't really do tend to love it (not to mention the extra money and lifestyle that is possible!) :P :P

Or you could always adopt. I adopted through foster care in my state and wouldn't change a thing. My now 12 yr old was only 3 days old when I got him.