Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a few questions 5 days Post-op

Hi, my name is Jenny and I had the lap-band done November 16,2006 just 5 days ago. I have a few questions about what I am feeling. I have a burning in my throat down into my stomach area is this normal it is quite painful at times. I also have middle back pain that will not go away. I have a large bruise around the port area did any else have this. And I also feel pain in my chest area maybe gas that I can't release just yet. I am sure I will have more questions soon but these are the ones that worry me the most. You know I research for a long time before deciding to do the lap band and I still have lots of questions. I guess until you do it you really don't know how it will affect you. I don't regret it at all just little more pain then I expected. Thank you for your time Jenny

Hi Jenny,

congrats on being banded, I had my surgery just over 3 weeks ago, so I know what you're going through.

The sore throat is most likely caused by irritation from the tube you had placed during surgery to help you breathe. For me it almost felt like I was catching a cold, a sore, scratchy feeling. It went away within the first week so you shouldn't be in pain for too long.

I was lucky in that I had barely any bruising, but what I did have was around the port cut, probably because that's the biggest cut, and the one that was "stretched" the most, to get the actual band in.

Not too sure about the chest pain, I was very bloated and felt a lot of pressue from the gas, but mine was in the abdominal area, not the chest. This went away after about a week and half for me, but it did get better every day before finally going away.

Good luck with the recovery, I know I wasn't able to sit up at my computer 5 days post op, so you're doing well!

Here's my guesses on your matter.

The pain in your throat area I had as well and I attribute it to the intubation. The tube going down through your vocal cords and so forth is trauma to your body.

I had extreme chest pain and back pain particularly when breathing in all gas problems that have resolved...I'm 12 days out.

I had bruising by an incision it was not my port but I did have bruising as well...again I'm sure that's fairly common.

Good luck with the rest of your after care you're doing normal sounds likee.

Hi Jen! I was banded just a few days before you and I had ALL those symptoms! Sore scratchy throat from the tube during surgery...and it's mostly gone now. Awful pains from the gas they pump you up with so they can see what they are doing during surgery......tolerable now finally! GasX helps some, eating slowly helps some, heating pad helps ALOT, walking helps some,chewable Tylenol helps ALOT! Bruising-yep! Just yesterday, I started to feel alot better. Here's the next challenge---as the swelling in your belly goes down and you start to feel better, then you have less restriction....until your first fill a month from now. So I'm pretending I am restricted and continuing to practice eating correctly...and counting the days to my next fill. And feeling good about getting rid of those first symptoms...especially that horrible back chest and shoulder pain. We can do it, buddy!

I have a burning in my throat down into my stomach area is this normal it is quite painful at times. My guess also is intubation, but if your'e concerned calling your surgeon or nurse to double check doesn't hurt anything.

I also have middle back pain that will not go away. Didn't have this either, but could be gas, or could be because you're having to sleep differently (I assume) and your msucles aren't used to it.

have a large bruise around the port area did any else have this. I didn't, but I wouldn't think it's anything to worry about. Some bruise so much it looks like they've been beaten, and some - like in my case - not one single bruise. Look at the picture threads, particularly the scar stages one, and you'll probably feel a lot better about your bruising. ;)

And I also feel pain in my chest area maybe gas that I can't release just yet. I don't even want to guess on this one because chest pain is never something to take lightly. At the very least, please call your surgeon or nurse about this one.

Thank you for your replys I really appriciate it. I did talk to the nurse at the surgeons office she said most of the things I am concerned about are completely normal. From what I told her about the bruise on my stomach it sound like I bled a little more under the skin the most but should be fine. She did tell me to start eating thin mash potatos or anything with that consistancy that might help with the burning in my throat. I don't think I was getting enough food in me and maybe it was causing some heartburn with the pain I don't know. Thanks again for your kindness I will definetly stay around and post you are all great. Jenny

Jenny I Had The Same Exact Symptoms, I Was Two Weeks Out Yesterday And Now It's Gone. It's Like I Woke Up 2 Days Ago And No Pain Even At Port Site, Feel Great. And Yes Had Bruising Also