Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Paleo after surgery?

No yogurt or cottage cheese here. I have not had dairy products since deciding to go paleo ( had cottage cheese up to a few weeks ago and no yogurt since pre surgery). Diet is really earthy( by design) and it is working well so far. I do have energy squares' date=' but these are organic and made with raw foods ( not sure if it qualifies as paleo or not). I cut out Protein bars a couple days ago except Paleo bars. My food hunger is getting so much better after cutting out processed bars.[/quote']

Cool! Thanks! I'm struggling w getting even close to Protein goals-- maybe doing this could help...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Cool! Thanks! I'm struggling w getting even close to Protein goals-- maybe doing this could help...

You might also try supplementing with shakes. I have at least 2 daily and a 3rd if it is a running day. shake is perfect in the morning as 1st me and good for last meal at bedtime to help prevent muscles from breaking down at night and to keep metabolism going. 3rd shake is for after running for recovery purpose. Right there that is 75 g of Protein. I eat approximately 25 g of dense protein for other 3 meals so add another 75 g. Total daily protein take is 150 g.

What I have read is it is good to consume 1 g protein for every lb in body weight. Applies to athlete types of active lifters. Total of 150 g means I still have 30 g to eat to match 180 g weight. Can someone confirm this statement of 1 g protein per 1 lb weight is accurate?

Try Paleo eating. It may be just what you need! Good luck.

You might also try supplementing with shakes. I have at least 2 daily and a 3rd if it is a running day. shake is perfect in the morning as 1st me and good for last meal at bedtime to help prevent muscles from breaking down at night and to keep metabolism going. 3rd shake is for after running for recovery purpose. Right there that is 75 g of Protein. I eat approximately 25 g of dense Protein for other 3 meals so add another 75 g. Total daily protein take is 150 g.

What I have read is it is good to consume 1 g protein for every lb in body weight. Applies to athlete types of active lifters. Total of 150 g means I still have 30 g to eat to match 180 g weight. Can someone confirm this statement of 1 g protein per 1 lb weight is accurate?

I've read the 1 g protein pet weight as well-- how us that paleo tho?

I've read the 1 g Protein pet weight as well-- how us that paleo tho?

Not paleo related, but is a reason to eat paleo, to make it easier to reach those high Protein goals.

You might also try supplementing with shakes. I have at least 2 daily and a 3rd if it is a running day. shake is perfect in the morning as 1st me and good for last meal at bedtime to help prevent muscles from breaking down at night and to keep metabolism going. 3rd shake is for after running for recovery purpose. Right there that is 75 g of Protein. I eat approximately 25 g of dense Protein for other 3 meals so add another 75 g. Total daily protein take is 150 g.

Do you mix your shakes with almond milk, coconut milk, or Water? I'm glad I found this thread. Yesterday I was thinking about Paleo and borrowed The Paleo Diet Solution from the library. I am only 15 days post op, so I probably can't start Paleo yet.

Nerd Fitness is huge on Paleo. I think they have a cell phone app to help you determine what is/isn't. For the people that follow it there I've never really seen anyone saying that they're 100% Paleo. Normally they'll say that they do 80-85%. I like it for encouraging people to let themselves go from processed foods, but I don't see the evils of legumes so much.. and I think yogurt is pretty healthy for us. Mark's Daily Apple is a good website to get more info on it too.

Wow thank you! Did u say 201?? In 11 mo!! That is very incredible!! What an accomplishment!! Your a role model true and true!! Can I ask what size/weight u were and are?

I'm 7.5 weeks out- Monday will be 2 months and I'm 273 I started at 317! I'm 5'5"! I was a tight... Not really fitting anymore.... Size 26 now I'm in a comfy 24 very very tight 22! Oh and I'm 32!

Your such an inspiration-- how many times a day did u eat! I wanna be like u ;)

I ate 3 meals and usually 2 Snacks a day. My meals and Snacks were basically the same thing. meat... About 2 - 2.5 oz at a time. No room for vegs. I ate to get satisfied not "full". I am 34 and 5'7. Started at 344 and called goal at 142 lbs. I am an mfp.com user and weighed and tracked everything I ate...even the off plan stuff. Now at goal I am slowley working my carbs and calories up. My username is hollirrose on mfp if you want to add me. Just keep in mind I am eating at goal now so it look dif than when I was in weight loss mode.

Do you mix your shakes with almond milk' date=' coconut milk, or Water? I'm glad I found this thread. Yesterday I was thinking about Paleo and borrowed The Paleo Diet Solution from the library. I am only 15 days post op, so I probably can't start Paleo yet.[/quote']

Hi there. I mix my shakes with Water now. During the first few months I mixed with lite silk milk, but do not need to do it any longer. You should not try Paleo until you are at least on solids and comfortable with eating dense Proteins and leafy vegetables. You can of course do whatever you like, but that is my opinion in order to be most successful at eating this way. I was not really comfortable until month 6 and started Paleo just a few weeks ago in Ernest. I am working through month 9 now.

Hi there. I mix my shakes with Water now. During the first few months I mixed with lite silk milk' date=' but do not need to do it any longer. You should not try Paleo until you are at least on solids and comfortable with eating dense Proteins and leafy vegetables. You can of course do whatever you like, but that is my opinion in order to be most successful at eating this way. I was not really comfortable until month 6 and started Paleo just a few weeks ago in Ernest. I am working through month 9 now.[/quote']

Still doing paleo ? My street reminded me bout it street my last checkup-- frustrated me tho- he won't give me carb/ cal counts to stay within--- 'just eat healthy'

Still doing paleo ? My street reminded me bout it street my last checkup-- frustrated me tho- he won't give me carb/ cal counts to stay within--- 'just eat healthy'

Yes, pretty much eating paleo of lean Proteins, leafy greens, no processed sugar, no dairy, organic. My version is a little modified because I do take supplements and drink Protein shakes. And sometimes I will go non paleo when eating out with the wife. Overall, I try and stick to the rules of paleo because it fuels me for intense workouts and keeps me as detoxed as possible. I also sit in the dry sauna once or twice a week to help with detoxing.

Carbs and fats are going to be higher then a low carb or low fat diet we are used to being on during the weight loss phase. Just make sure you are getting the good fats and carbs that your body will happily convert into energy. I like to eat a paleo bar after a hard cross fit session and it has 17 g of raw honey. High carb in my book because I have been a low carb dieter for a while. I do not go out of my way to eat higher carb or higher fat foods. Quite the opposite. However, I do take in 3-6 g of omegas a day so my body can repair itself faster from the lifting which translates into minimal soreness for me. I eat good carbs in the form of energy squares, paleo bars and banana/ apple with Peanut Butter (may try other butters too).

With WLS and being really active, we cannot really eat enough to need to track calories, fat or carbs except in a general sense. I do not track anything except make sure it is compatible within my rule structure. Follow the rules and everything just works with desired progress. Body continues to lean out, muscles continue to build and the scale reflects either no movement or downward movement. Break the rules and then something is compromised in the daily flow of a fit and vital life. That is what we all desire right?

I try and eat 100-300 calories in Protein or good combination of the nutrition macros every 2-3 hours. It keeps me satisfied and also fuels my BMR. The downside is that I literally feel like I am eating constantly. It adds up to about what you need to be eating in order to stay out of starvation mode. I am done with weight loss and am focused daily on changing my body composition, so there is no need to starve the body any longer. Besides, the constant flow of energy keeps you going during intense HIIT or lifting.

Hope this helps. I know it is not easy and involves a lot of changes, but it gets easy and automatic the more you practice it.

I ate under 20 carbs for most of weight loss phase (180 lb down) so it provided me with plenty of time to prepare for paleo style of eating.

Eating clean is absolutely necessary (I think) to exercise and train at optimal levels. Helps resolve many medical and mental issues (including focus and concentration).

Fiddle, when you say "eating clean" you mean nothing processed, low carb? Have you noticed changes in focus and concentration? Since surgery, I find sometimes I'm foggy...and even forgetful. I've attributed it to not enough carbs/calories, and I seem to do better with a little higher of both. I'm interested to know your experience.

Yes' date=' pretty much eating paleo of lean Proteins, leafy greens, no processed sugar, no dairy, organic. My version is a little modified because I do take supplements and drink Protein shakes. And sometimes I will go non paleo when eating out with the wife. Overall, I try and stick to the rules of paleo because it fuels me for intense workouts and keeps me as detoxed as possible. I also sit in the dry sauna once or twice a week to help with detoxing.

Carbs and fats are going to be higher then a low carb or low fat diet we are used to being on during the weight loss phase. Just make sure you are getting the good fats and carbs that your body will happily convert into energy. I like to eat a paleo bar after a hard cross fit session and it has 17 g of raw honey. High carb in my book because I have been a low carb dieter for a while. I do not go out of my way to eat higher carb or higher fat foods. Quite the opposite. However, I do take in 3-6 g of omegas a day so my body can repair itself faster from the lifting which translates into minimal soreness for me. I eat good carbs in the form of energy squares, paleo bars and banana/ apple with Peanut Butter (may try other butters too).

With WLS and being really active, we cannot really eat enough to need to track calories, fat or carbs except in a general sense. I do not track anything except make sure it is compatible within my rule structure. Follow the rules and everything just works with desired progress. Body continues to lean out, muscles continue to build and the scale reflects either no movement or downward movement. Break the rules and then something is compromised in the daily flow of a fit and vital life. That is what we all desire right?

I try and eat 100-300 calories in Protein or good combination of the nutrition macros every 2-3 hours. It keeps me satisfied and also fuels my BMR. The downside is that I literally feel like I am eating constantly. It adds up to about what you need to be eating in order to stay out of starvation mode. I am done with weight loss and am focused daily on changing my body composition, so there is no need to starve the body any longer. Besides, the constant flow of energy keeps you going during intense HIIT or lifting.

Hope this helps. I know it is not easy and involves a lot of changes, but it gets easy and automatic the more you practice it.[/quote']

Nice' thank you for all the info!

So I'm only 2.5-- almost -- months out---- what do U think I should---- do I switch to this or wait?? My dr doesn't have strict plans to follow thank you

Fiddle' date=' when you say "eating clean" you mean nothing processed, low carb? Have you noticed changes in focus and concentration? Since surgery, I find sometimes I'm foggy...and even forgetful. I've attributed it to not enough carbs/calories, and I seem to do better with a little higher of both. I'm interested to know your experience.[/quote']

Eating the good carbs will help eliminate the fogginess that comes from low carb dieting. Once I starting eating more calories and good carbs, my concentration and focus improved. Also make sure you are always taking your Vitamins and minerals daily. I did not make significant calorie or carb increases until month 7 (3 months ago). It was a bit like a frog boiling in Water, I increased little by little to analyze impact on body.

Nice' thank you for all the info!

So I'm only 2.5-- almost -- months out---- what do U think I should---- do I switch to this or wait?? My dr doesn't have strict plans to follow thank you

If you have significant weight to lose, I would not switch now @ 2.5 months as this type of eating that I describe above is not really designed for weight loss. This is just my opinion and you are of course welcome to do according to your desire.

Another opinion of mine: Low carb is a good approach to dropping weight along with daily exercise (45 min or more) and lots of Water (90 oz or more) and high Protein (80 g or more). I ate between 10-30 g carbs, 125+ oz Water and between 125-150 g Protein for most of my weight loss. My exercise has been between 45 min and 1 hour 3 x a week during weight loss period.

Yes, I stalled like the rest of you every month. However, I also dropped 90 lb by month 3 and then another 20 by month 5 and then the final 40 by month 7. Lost about 30 pre op.

Did not cheat. Stayed on plan.

After month 6 I began to have an occasional drink ( max - 2x a month).

Starting in month 5: I began running, but got really serious about working out like an athlete in month 7 ( also the month I reached goal). At this point I started to really change my diet in order to have enough fuel in my body. I exercise 5-6 x a week now with 1 day rest. Still only 45 min to 1 hour of either running or cross fit on alternating days. Cross fit is very intense cardio with weights. I do yoga in the evenings.

Now I am working every day towards a set of fitness goals. Some are gym related like being able to Olympic lift 450 lb or being able to compete in a cross fit thrown down (will enter in 3 months or so), but others are larger then that and out doors like running 1/2 marathon and trail running for 72 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail. I have also signed up for 4 5k run events this summer and a 10 k in October. I am also thinking of getting into MMA after in cross fit for a while. Maybe next year.

Thank you