Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 400Lbs Gastric Sleeve Success Story

Hello

I am currently thinking about having the vsg and I am about 446lbs! I want to know if there is anyone that was or know someone. who was over 400lbs and did awesome with the sleeve. My surgeon suggest bypass and that scares the crap out of me!

I posted my success story over here:

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/67034-here-is-what-the-local-paper-had-to-say-about-my-success-story/

I was 437 and now I'm 185. You can read the article in the link and listen to the radio round table I did here if you have any questions. http://www.knpr.org/son/archive/detail2.cfm?SegmentID=9672&ProgramID=2699

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago, I started the pre op diet at 405lb. I was looking at the mini bypass at first and my surgeon sugessted the sleeve. I lost 23lbs on the pre op and I'm down 20 since surgery. I''m glad i did the sleeve and not the bypass. good luck with what ever you decide

I started at 401. 8-1/2 months later I'm 229 and still losing. The sleeve will do the Job just fine if you're willing to make some lifestyle changes. If you think you will never be able to control your eating then the bypass might be a good alternative. The upside of the sleeve is less complications and a more normal life. It works with you but it does not do the work for you.

Thanks! Makes me feel a little better. I just have that gut feeling that if I have the bypass Im going to be one with the bad complications.

Here's a link to Big Frank's thread. He is the most recent 450lb +- success story.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/63473-new-guy-here-youve-got-to-read-this/

We have seen numerous 400lb+ successes come through here. Only problem is that (I'm assuming) they get so involved in their new lives, they forget about us.

Which reminds me of Patrick. Starting at 660lbs, I haven't seen a post from him in some time, but last report from another member that sees him occasionally is that he is doing great. Here's a link to his latest post.

http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/62139-weight-loss-pics-from-my-highest-699-to-540-4-months-post-op/

I wasn't quite 400lbs but close. I was over 380 at my biggest but I think I was closer to 400 then I thought. I was too big for my scale. I have got down to 359 for surgery. I'm 2 and a half months out and down to 305. All together 74lbs lost so far.

As a heavy weight is is a longer journey but it is completely doable. I wasn't sure I would be successful with the sleeve at first at my weight but I'm convinced I can now. There is a BMI over 50 board on OH and some of the people there started over 400 and have lost a LOT. It's very inspiring.

Thank u.. I have a plan in place as far as food and a trainer. Its hard for me with the trainer because I'm so heavy and I can't go long but once some of the weight comes off I'm ready to go full force!

There are statistically fewer complications from the bypass but they are very, very close now. The bypass has been the 'gold' standard for 40 years. The problem I have is that you are then on a lifetime regimen of Vitamins and meds that must be much more closely watched. With the sleeve, I live a much more 'normal' life I like to think.

i was 485lbs on dec 21 2012 i was on pre op diet for 3 weeks and had my surgery on jan 14th 2013 and i had the sleeve done and my current weight is 427lbs so obviously something is going right!

at 397 I turned it around and started with having my primary doc send referal the day he weighed me in. had the surgery at 366 Dec 2012, now 306. Having a trainer will be like nothing else, I hope you found the one that has been with similar clients before. Go for it, you seem like you really want to and it is great to be so light on my feet in non binding clothes, you'll love it.

I was 474 and had surgery in June 2012, today I'm down 150 lbs, at 324... I LOVE my sleeve!

I agree, I have gotten busy with my new life and haven't gotten on here as much, I'm actually getting ready for a 5k... I wouldn't have even thought a second about a 5k eight months ago

Hello

I am currently thinking about having the vsg and I am about 446lbs! I want to know if there is anyone that was or know someone. who was over 400lbs and did awesome with the sleeve.

I started just about where you were and less than a month after my sleevification I've broken into the 300's already. I think that's pretty awesome :D

I was sleeved on Jan/5/13 weighing in at 375. This morning I weighed in at 327.3 pounds. My recovery so far has been very easy. For me the biggest difference pre and post sleeve is that now its not "if" I lose the weight it's "when"!!

Amazing stories and great work by all. I am hoping to get down to 200 lbs. I was 257 lbs freshman year in highschool.