Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

52 and wondering what to expect

That would be great and I'll post what I find out as well....can't wait to have nice looking breasts!

I'll be 52 on Tuesday. Had the surgery because I want to be thin. I have been up and down for most of my life and wanted to end the cycle. I ha d to fight with Aetna for 18 months before finally been sleeved on 2/19, I had no comorbities other than a bmi of 47 so Aetna said I too healthy. I have lost 38lbs including pre-op but only 6 in the last three weeks and feeling discouraged. I have not cheated and am following instructions as directed. Is this normal or am I expecting too much at my age? What should I realistically expect in terms of weight loss?

Don't be to hard on yourself I have also stall I'm 54yrs old had my sleeve 3-4-13 I know it's going to be slower for me due to my age.. Dr said this is part of the weight loss.I have up my Water and more Protein and been walking walking and more walking and It will help you get back on track ..Be good to yourself... :)

Good day.. I will be 56 next month. I had my surgery on 12/28/11. I reached my goal exactly at my 1 year anniversary. Although I had a lot less weight to lose than others, my BMI was still 41. I would say my biggest flaw area is my abdomen. I absolutely hate the "sway" belly, but just over the last 3 months, I've noticed a big change in my skin. I have not lost any weight in nearly 4 months. I do work out 5 days a week, but it seemed like it helped very little with both the sway chin and tummy until I stopped losing weight. I think the skin is starting to catch up to my inner skeleton or I'm getting used to it. I actually saw a photo of myself that a friend snapped over the weekend and didn't mind my chin anymore. I will spend the summer doing more crunches and see where this abdominal skin settles, if it doesn't get better, it's a panniculectomy for me! Overall I will take the lose skin over the all the medications I no longer take. :D

My nut said that it take's about 18mo's for the body and skin take shape you are doing great Keep up the hard work...I'm 54yrs and my weight loss is doing the same glad I saw your post I have been in a stall for some time but I loss a 1.6 lbs so I guess I am back on track.Had my sleeve 3-4-2013 Be good to yourself.

I'll be 51 in October and having gastric sleeve on September 6th. I'm so hopeful and excited, but I too was searching for a support group of people who've just gone through the procedure and can share their experience first, second, third weeks out. Scared of what I'm going to feel like those first few weeks!

morgan21, I'm a month and a half out. Here's a bit of what it was for me in the first few weeks.

1st week:

• Clear liquids for the first 3 days, then move to full liquids, then full liquids until day 14
  • Very tired, and needed to take a nap most afternoons
  • I did have a small amount of pain if I forgot and took too big of a swallow or went too quickly - in part due to the hiatal hernia repair that I had at the same time. I took pain meds in the evening and right before bed for the first 4 days, but was able to do just fine without them otherwise.
  • I was able to get in most or all of my required liquids, but I was sipping all the time.
  • Perfectly able to go out for little walks - I was getting around 7000 steps a day and even walked up the big hill in our neighborhood.
  • No real feeling of restriction with clear or full liquids
  • Came out of surgery 12 lbs heavier than when I went in - Boo! Seriously, though, it wasn't a big deal, and was gone by the end of the first 10 days.

Second week:

• Full liquids - cream Soups, broths, whizzed up veggie Soup, Protein drinks, etc.
  • Not so tired - I could have gone back to work at this point, but I would have been pretty exhausted in the evening so I'm glad I didn't! I did still took the occasional nap because it's good to get plenty of sleep while healing, but if I had something to do it wasn't a big deal to skip it. I had plenty of energy to walk around, as long as I paid attention - the energy would deplete pretty quickly if I pushed too hard.
  • Still had some minor pain/discomfort, especially if I took in a little too much in a swallow, but it was quite manageable
  • Still no real sense of restriction,

Third week:

• Back to work - new job at new company, so no easing back into things! It went fine - this coincided with me starting soft foods, so I was having things like yogurt, cottage cheese and the like for lunch, and had enough energy to get through the day effectively.
  • Speaking of starting soft foods - that's when I started finding my restriction. If I overate even a bite, I'd have this strange achy feeling in my shoulders (sort of like the post-surgery anesthetic gas issue, but more so). If I pushed it at all I'd also get a nasty pain right below my breastbone. Guess what I didn't do anymore after that happened a couple of times! I started to realize that I would have a tiny burp and then a little hiccup when I was full.
  • I still had some discomfort until almost the end of my third week, but it wasn't that bad - maybe a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1-10. By the end of the week, that had finally disappeared.

I'm now a month and a half out, and on normal foods. I've learned my limits and rarely get discomfort. I can eat 1-2 oz of dense Protein, plus a few small bites of something on the side. I do still use Protein shakes for Breakfast or an occasional mid-afternoon snack, but my surgeon and my NUT are both okay with that as long as it's not because I *can't* eat and as long as I have "real" food for lunch and dinner. I've even eaten out at restaurants - my husband and I share a plate, or I order something appropriate from the appetizer menu. I've just resumed my gym membership and started working with a trainer once a month to keep me on track.

I have been through two stalls - both about a week long, but noticeable if you are a data junkie and weigh yourself all the time :P If you would be bothered at watching the scale bouncing up and down a pound or two for a week or two, then don't weigh all the time. I am not more than mildly annoyed by it and knew to expect it, so I just roll my eyes and make sure I'm getting adequate protein, liquids, sleep and some exercise. If I only weighed once or twice a month I'd never know the stall had happened, honestly.

Good luck!

morgan21' date=' I'm a month and a half out. Here's a bit of what it was for me in the first few weeks.

1st week:

[*']Clear liquids for the first 3 days, then move to full liquids, then full liquids until day 14

[*]Very tired, and needed to take a nap most afternoons

[*]I did have a small amount of pain if I forgot and took too big of a swallow or went too quickly - in part due to the hiatal hernia repair that I had at the same time. I took pain meds in the evening and right before bed for the first 4 days, but was able to do just fine without them otherwise.

[*]I was able to get in most or all of my required liquids, but I was sipping all the time.

[*]Perfectly able to go out for little walks - I was getting around 7000 steps a day and even walked up the big hill in our neighborhood.

[*]No real feeling of restriction with clear or full liquids

[*]Came out of surgery 12 lbs heavier than when I went in - Boo! Seriously, though, it wasn't a big deal, and was gone by the end of the first 10 days.

Second week:

[*]Full liquids - cream Soups, broths, whizzed up veggie Soup, Protein drinks, etc.

[*]Not so tired - I could have gone back to work at this point, but I would have been pretty exhausted in the evening so I'm glad I didn't! I did still took the occasional nap because it's good to get plenty of sleep while healing, but if I had something to do it wasn't a big deal to skip it. I had plenty of energy to walk around, as long as I paid attention - the energy would deplete pretty quickly if I pushed too hard.

[*]Still had some minor pain/discomfort, especially if I took in a little too much in a swallow, but it was quite manageable

[*]Still no real sense of restriction,

Third week:

[*]Back to work - new job at new company, so no easing back into things! It went fine - this coincided with me starting soft foods, so I was having things like yogurt, cottage cheese and the like for lunch, and had enough energy to get through the day effectively.

[*]Speaking of starting soft foods - that's when I started finding my restriction. If I overate even a bite, I'd have this strange achy feeling in my shoulders (sort of like the post-surgery anesthetic gas issue, but more so). If I pushed it at all I'd also get a nasty pain right below my breastbone. Guess what I didn't do anymore after that happened a couple of times! I started to realize that I would have a tiny burp and then a little hiccup when I was full.

[*]I still had some discomfort until almost the end of my third week, but it wasn't that bad - maybe a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1-10. By the end of the week, that had finally disappeared.

I'm now a month and a half out, and on normal foods. I've learned my limits and rarely get discomfort. I can eat 1-2 oz of dense Protein, plus a few small bites of something on the side. I do still use protein shakes for Breakfast or an occasional mid-afternoon snack, but my surgeon and my NUT are both okay with that as long as it's not because I *can't* eat and as long as I have "real" food for lunch and dinner. I've even eaten out at restaurants - my husband and I share a plate, or I order something appropriate from the appetizer menu. I've just resumed my gym membership and started working with a trainer once a month to keep me on track.

I have been through two stalls - both about a week long, but noticeable if you are a data junkie and weigh yourself all the time :P If you would be bothered at watching the scale bouncing up and down a pound or two for a week or two, then don't weigh all the time. I am not more than mildly annoyed by it and knew to expect it, so I just roll my eyes and make sure I'm getting adequate protein, liquids, sleep and some exercise. If I only weighed once or twice a month I'd never know the stall had happened, honestly.

Good luck!

Very informative!!!!...very close to how i felt, if u had mention the bowel issues which is the only thing i didnt see u will gas me all the way...nothing in sure makes a problem with something being able to come out...:-(

Good morning!! I just read your post and had to let you know I am 57. Had VGS 5/2012. After losing 124#, I do have loose skin in my arms, tummy, thighs and butt. After working out diligently for 1 year 5-6 times per week, I am at 28% body fat with BMI of 28 and at 195# pounds which is great at 5' 9". I wear Spanx and compression wear whenever I care about the loose skin. But most of the time, it doesn't even bother me. Good luck with your journey!! It's totally worth it to me. I can't imagine life at 320# anymore, I love being able to play with my grand babies ages 3, 2 1/2 and 2!!!

post-40667-13813668999946_thumb.jpg

Everyone's skin is different' date=' so you will just have to loose & see what happens! But I agree with everyone else...a little saggy skin is nothing compared to good health! & you can always have it removed if it bothers you that much! I'm 52 also & am looking forward to my new body...saggy & all! Lol....good luck on your journey![/quote']

I am having surgery oct 21/13 I am also a little worried about saggy skin, but I have also started Excersisng and this will be forever, I am however worried about saggy skin I. The throat area, any excersises to help that?

I am 55 and after being on 3 blood pressure medications and still could not control it' date=' I knew I really had no choice, especially since I am going to be a new grandma in May. I purchased the book Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve by Guillermo Alvarez, M.D. and The Sleeved Life by Pennie Nicola. Found both to be very helpful in this journey. They are both available on Kindle, as well.

My concern has always been, will I be able to eat foods like people with normal stomachs!? Eating healthier and in moderation was the theme I heard most often, My surgeon provided a booklet that had websites to visit and cookbooks to try once we are able to eat solid foods. I ordered all of them! Just got them today and they look wonderful. My husband is a better cook than I and said he was willing to try out the recipes, as well. I cannot wait to try them. If you are interested, I will give you the names of the cookbooks.

I, too am concerned about the flabby skin, but I hope to have it removed, when the time is right. I need to get crackin' on exercise, as well.

Blessings to you in your journey.[/quote']

Could u tell me the name of the book the surgeon provided u?

Could u tell me the name of the book the surgeon provided u?

These are the names of the cookbooks referenced in my surgeon's "Patient's Education Booklet."

1. recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery, by Margaret M. Furtado

2. Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery, by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray

3. Before and After - Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery, by Susan Maria Leach

This cookbook I ran across on Amazon.com when ordering the other cookbooks:

4. Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies, by Brian K. Davidson

5. Cooking with Kaye: Methods to Meals Protein First recipes You Will Love, by Kaye Bailey

She also has a pocket diet journal on her website. She is also on Pinterest.

These are the names of the cookbooks referenced in my surgeon's "Patient's Education Booklet."

1. recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery' date=' by Margaret M. Furtado

2. Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery, by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray

3. Before and After - Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery, by Susan Maria Leach

This cookbook I ran across on Amazon.com when ordering the other cookbooks:

4. Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies, by Brian K. Davidson

5. Cooking with Kaye: Methods to Meals Protein First recipes You Will Love, by Kaye Bailey

She also has a pocket diet journal on her website. She is also on Pinterest.[/quote']

Thanks

I am having surgery oct 21/13 I am also a little worried about saggy skin' date=' but I have also started Excersisng and this will be forever, I am however worried about saggy skin I. The throat area, any excersises to help that?[/quote']

Push your tongue against the roof of your mouth 60 times a couple times a day. It works!!