Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

any sleeve patients of Dr Patel, Cooper Hospital, Camden, NJ?

I am getting the sleeve done on Wed, January 23rd. I absolutely love the whole team at Dr. Patel office in Voorhees, NJ. Any other Patel patients on this forum???

Hi, I just joined the forum and saw that you are using Dr. Patel. I actually just decided to have Wls and I am using Dr. Patel. I see it is a little over a week since you had surgery. I sincerely hope everything was a success and you are doing well. Can you please post what your experience has been like before the surgery and after, I am in the beginning stages, I have had my first nutrition appointment and my other appointments are within the next couple of weeks. So far I am pleased with how fast they scheduled everything. Wishing you a speedy recovery and much success.

Oh good...I was hoping to find someone local on here. I totally LOVE the whole staff at his office. I actually got a head start on things earlier than I needed to by watching carbs and doing smaller portions a couple months before my surgery. It was good because I lost like 10lbs before I started my 2 week pre op diet. The 2 week liquid pre op diet was not as bad as I thought. I used slimfast pre made shakes and drank my Crystal light (Wal-Mart brand flavors) in between and chicken broth is really what helped the most. I would just go to any of my favorite Chinese places and grab a quart which they would usually discount since it was broth only. I lost about 12 lbs during those 2 weeks. I weighed myself the morning of surgery (wed) and also the day I came home (Sat) and lost 6 more. Surgery went great but I had side effects from the anesthesia and also from the morphine. They switched me to the Dilauded and I felt drunk as soon as they injected it into my IV so they knocked it down . To a lower dose. I had about 2 days where I would wake up early and be fine until about 1pm then I'd be so tired. After that I've been better and better each day. Went back to church today. I am following everything they tell me and the book says that they give you a week or so before surgery. I will not sabotage this . Because I went through so much time and commitment and I want to be a success story so bad. They have support group meet ok meetings once a month at the Mansion in Voorhees. I love them!!! I went to two of them before my surgery and met other patients who go to our office. Love hearing their tips and stories. They . Have samples of some of the Protein Drinks and stuff and they even have door prizes. It's great. You should try the one this month. It will be on the 3rd Wednesday. :)

Thanks for responding. I know how you feel about wanting to be a success story. I am so excited about this opportunity.I am very early in the process. I just went to my first nutrition appt. last week and went to my psych eval today. My insurance requires three months of supervised diet so i won't be fininshed that until the end of march. Did you have to do all of these appointments? If so how long did it take after you were done to get a date for surgery? I will definatly try to make this months support meeting. I look forward to getting all the info I can about the surgery and the lifestyle changes. I will add you on Facebook also. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. It is really appreciated.

Yes I had to do all the appointments as well. I'll have to look my dates up. I know my last appointment was like mid Dec but I had my gyn appt and mammogram scheduled for the beginning of Jan so then they gave me surgery date of Jan 23rd. It goes by faster than you think. I saw you added me on FB. That will be a great way to keep in touch. I actually got cleared to move to pureed/soft foods tomorrow. I am so excited!! I have been wanting some chicken and fish so bad.....lol talk to you soon.

If your appointments are done end of March you will more than likely be sleeved in April!!!!

I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery next week on the 13th with Dr. Patel :) . I can't wait!

I'm scheduled for sleeve surgery next week on the 13th with Dr. Patel :) . I can't wait!

Thats Great!!! hows the liquid diet going? Please keep me posted on your success as I will be praying for a safe surgery and speedy recovery for you!!!

I had a good morning so far. I went today to get my chest xray, upper Gi and stomach ultrasound. All easy testing. Unfortunatly the stuff they gave me to drink gave me a stomach ache :wacko: . but other than that.. i'm one test closer to my goals. All I have left is 2 more nutrition appointments. pulmonnary and echochardiagram and I'm done I thought it would seem like everything was moving in slow motion, But its moving pretty fast. :D

Thats Great!!! hows the liquid diet going? Please keep me posted on your success as I will be praying for a safe surgery and speedy recovery for you!!!

Will do! I'm down roughly 15 lbs from the start of my liquid diet (which is nuts). I admit that I've slipped maybe 2 times (don't tell Josie LOL), but both times, it was a bite of lean meat, so I didn't derail myself too much. I'm psyched :) I haven't heard anything about insurance approval, so I'm hoping that no news is good news. Cooper seems to be proceeding as though I'm approved. I have Amerihealth and I've been stalking poor Amanda at the office but I haven't called her in a week or so. I've been good LOL. I'm sure she'll let me know if there's a problem. They've said Amerihealth approval is no problemo and don't anticipate any problems, so I wont! (Also, there's the whole BMI over 40, sleep apnea, hypertension and prediabetes stuff going on too so that helps, I guess)

Add me on Facebook as well if you'd like. I'm on that every day :)

Micheline

Will do! I'm down roughly 15 lbs from the start of my liquid diet (which is nuts). I admit that I've slipped maybe 2 times (don't tell Josie LOL), but both times, it was a bite of lean meat, so I didn't derail myself too much. I'm psyched :) I haven't heard anything about insurance approval, so I'm hoping that no news is good news. Cooper seems to be proceeding as though I'm approved. I have Amerihealth and I've been stalking poor Amanda at the office but I haven't called her in a week or so. I've been good LOL. I'm sure she'll let me know if there's a problem. They've said Amerihealth approval is no problemo and don't anticipate any problems, so I wont! (Also, there's the whole BMI over 40, sleep apnea, hypertension and prediabetes stuff going on too so that helps, I guess)

Add me on Facebook as well if you'd like. I'm on that every day :)

Micheline

lol, I can only imagine how having to drink only liquids for 2 weeks can be rough. I have cigna for insurance so I'm curious as to how things will go with my approval. Hopefully no real issues. I have alot of the same issues as you as far as the sleep apnea goes. Did they make you do a sleep study? I had already been diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years back. Just wondering are they going to make me do another sleep study. what is your name on facebook? Is it the same as on here? I will add you!

lol, I can only imagine how having to drink only liquids for 2 weeks can be rough. I have cigna for insurance so I'm curious as to how things will go with my approval. Hopefully no real issues. I have alot of the same issues as you as far as the sleep apnea goes. Did they make you do a sleep study? I had already been diagnosed with sleep apnea a few years back. Just wondering are they going to make me do another sleep study. what is your name on Facebook? Is it the same as on here? I will add you!

I'm not sure. I doubt they would make you do another sleep study if yours is already diagnosed and being treated. Do you have a CPAP machine? I think they just want to make sure that the apnea is under control before you have surgery. I don't know if they'd want their pulmonary department to sign on off on that first. Might be a good question to ask. I know they do want me to bring my machine for use in the hospital after surgery to help prevent lung expansion problems.

Oh, and facebook.com/michiefisher is how to find me :)

Good morning all~~

It appears that this thread goes back to 2013 and I'm just jumping on it now because I, too, will be having VSG by Dr. O'Connell. Dr O'Connell is partners with Dr. Patel. He did my lap band removal last year and within one year I gained 50 pounds and that was with a lot of dieting so imagine if I had not. I think my body had starved for so long with that dreadful band that ultimately slipped, that my metabolism has slowed down even with medicine, it's just not allowing me to lose weight. But Josie and Josh both explained to me that this surgery is almost like a restart button or a reset button. I just wanted to chime in and see if any of you would tell me how you're doing all these years later and how your experiences & successes are and were with these great doctors.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Also local with Dr.Patel. I am more curious about the hospital stay in general? So worried