Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish you well. I'm still stuck.

Just found this forum. I am 62 and scheduled for a VSG on January 19, 2016. Can use all the support and encouragement I can get.

Admittedly, resurrecting this thread is classic message board necrophilia.

But I'll comment anyway -- and say that I don't think I've ever called myself a "gal." Much less a "senior gal."

:eyeroll:

But I was sleeved at age 68. And I am now 70 years old -- having lost nearly 100 pounds and maintaining easily at 138 pounds.

:)

Just found this site. I am being operated on February 9th 2016. I am 58 and want to be fit enough to play with my grandchildren. I want and need loads of energy. I am married to a skinny man ! Lol.. I hope by loosing weight we can go into retirement going hiking. He is very concerned that our life together will change a lot. Like having a drink on a Friday night. He also thinks that I could die! I am healthy apart from my weight and my surgeon has a 99% success rate. Is my husband being all gloom and doom or should I be concerned?

Just found this site. I am being operated on February 9th 2016. I am 58 and want to be fit enough to play with my grandchildren. I want and need loads of energy. I am married to a skinny man ! Lol.. I hope by loosing weight we can go into retirement going hiking. He is very concerned that our life together will change a lot. Like having a drink on a Friday night. He also thinks that I could die! I am healthy apart from my weight and my surgeon has a 99% success rate. Is my husband being all gloom and doom or should I be concerned?

You don't say how much excess weight you are carrying around but I think of it this way: All of the excess weight I carry around is KILLING ME. It may be a slow death at this point but I certainly am NOT healthy the way I am. Oh, I am not sickly or anything like that but with all the excess weight, I am out of breath, cannot walk far without stopping, my joints are suffering, I take medications for high cholesterol and blood pressure, and on it goes.

I am retired (last April) and I too have grandchildren that I want to be able to play with. I would love to be able to go hiking, or just take a walk on the beach! I occasionally like a drink as well. My nephew had surgery in June and occasionally adds a bit of vodka or rum to his Crystal Light! He said he seems to be able to tolerate that just fine as long as he only has one.

As for dying: Yes, we could die as a result of having surgery - it is one of the serious complications faced going into surgery of any kind. That being said, I know that I am dying anyway just by being as overweight as I am. What is to say that if I don't have the surgery, that I won't have a heart attack and die anyway? I am just going to try to take some of the pressure off my already stressed heart by having bariatric surgery.

I am very sorry to have rambled on and on. I guess I am fortunate (or unfortunate) to not have a spouse to worry about me or be the naysayer. It took a while to convince my daughter that I was doing the right thing. And after much prayer, I do believe that having the WL surgery is the ONLY thing that will truly aid in my health. I have tried so many other WL plans that I have NOT been successful at that I am at the bottom of the rope.

I pray that you and your husband come to grips with this fear. Pray a lot and let the Lord take care of your fears (if you are a Christian). That is what I am doing!

I'm 53 and had to face some difficult things when I had to go forward with the surgery. I was diagnosed with BOWEL cancer in 2011 which metastasized to the lungs in 2013. It was inevitable due to the fact when the surgeons did the BOWEL resection, the cancer had spread to the lymphs. Mind you we had to wait for the insurance to approve the surgery and such due to pre existing conditions. Anyways since that day in 2013, I have been going to CTCA in Zion Illinois, married and decided to move forward with this but had to hold off on treatments for the cancer due to it causing slower cell growth.

I started on this journey back in May of his year and started out round the 300s. I am down to 264. I have lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks and I can actually move around better and walk in a store. Yeah me. I had some problems after surgery due to the anesthesia and the narcotics. That was minor considering the surgeons had to fight their way through scar tissue on my abdomen. Yea I have had numerous abdominal surgeries in my life from c section. Oophorectomy, tubal litigation, gall bladder, exploratory done X 2, as well as the bowel resection.

I am making it n feel great now even with those pounds off . Still bit to go but am doing fine .

Cathy

I'm 53 and had to face some difficult things when I had to go forward with the surgery. I was diagnosed with BOWEL cancer in 2011 which metastasized to the lungs in 2013. It was inevitable due to the fact when the surgeons did the BOWEL resection, the cancer had spread to the lymphs. Mind you we had to wait for the insurance to approve the surgery and such due to pre existing conditions. Anyways since that day in 2013, I have been going to CTCA in Zion Illinois, married and decided to move forward with this but had to hold off on treatments for the cancer due to it causing slower cell growth.

I started on this journey back in May of his year and started out round the 300s. I am down to 264. I have lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks and I can actually move around better and walk in a store. Yeah me. I had some problems after surgery due to the anesthesia and the narcotics. That was minor considering the surgeons had to fight their way through scar tissue on my abdomen. Yea I have had numerous abdominal surgeries in my life from c section. Oophorectomy, tubal litigation, gall bladder, exploratory done X 2, as well as the bowel resection.

I am making it n feel great now even with those pounds off . Still bit to go but am doing fine .

Cathy

Cathy, bless your heart. You have been through hell and back. I am happy you have been able to lose weight with all that going on and to finally have your bariatric surgery.

I have not had anywhere near your struggles! I was 52 when I had to have both knees replaced due to very aggressive osteoarthritis. Has affected all my joints but the knees so far are the only ones I have had to have replaced. I am so hoping and praying that my surgery and weight loss journey (started 12/11 with pre-op diet and surgery scheduled for surgery 1/19/16) will allow me to get more active and with the weight loss alone, stave off more replacements and save the $100,000 knees I have now!

You take good care of yourself and my best thoughts and prayers for your success.

Good grief, Cathy.

My hat's off to you.

The very best to you on your WLS progress and on all fronts. And welcome. :)

Ann

Reading everyone's journey is great. It reconfirmed that I am doing this for me and my future. I have had great concern from my family on my side.. I think because they are all like me ( obese) I have had a bit of negativity. About what will I do when I can't eat anymore. I can't wait not to think about food anymore and actually enjoy dinner conversation. Not what I will eat next! I am sure I will be extremely happy..