Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

60+ sleevers please help

Are any of you getting medicare to pay for it? everyone here in Oregon is really getting impatient that it's never going to be covered here.

Are any of you getting medicare to pay for it? everyone here in Oregon is really getting impatient that it's never going to be covered here.

I have Medicare Advantage here in Texas and it is covered. I only had to have one NUT visit and a Psych eval. My initial consult with the surgeon was 10/25, then had approval a week after it was submitted on Nov.11th. Must admit I was shocked it moved so quickly.

I just turned 66 last week, and am 2 months post op. Also had hiatal hernia and gall bladder surgery. I try and walk 30 minutes a day, but feet and knee hurt without the Celebrex. Am adjusting to that. Will go back to Water aerobics soon. I have problems getting all my liquids in and still get sick occasionally. Now can add some more foods, but have only tried a couple of things as I still have problems with getting sick. I have lost 31 pounds so am pleased with that. Try and go a little further each day. I started out only walking less than a block. Good luck! we can do this!

I actually have lost 91.5 pounds so far.

I am 63 and at 10 months out I am almost to my goal! I have had no problems, this is the best thing I have ever done for myself!

I started this thread almost a year ago. How things change. I have lost a total of 90 lbs with 18 more to go to my personal goal. Went from a size 24 to a 14 and L shirts. Reduced the insulin I was on from 150 units a day to 24 units. A very big improvement. Everything else is fine. I still have great restriction.

If you are older go for it. It is possible it will extend your life. My mother and father both died at my age. I am living on borrowed time by heredity. Hopefully by my choice to have this surgery it will make a big difference.

I am 63 and wanting to schedule my sleeve surgery...but still so scared. Keep worrying about my age. I have 2 friends who had this done in Mexico. I have no insurance and the price is affordable...but still so scared. I have no willpower with dieting and I have found exercise just is not enough. I am about 75 lbs overweight. I am so worried about the eating part after the surgery. I hear the hunger hormone is taken with your stomach, but I am a food addict. Kind of like a smoker. I find myself eating when I am not even hungry and its hard to control myself, ya know? Especially in the evening with the family. TV TIME..... And I know how important it is to get all your Water down. How do you do that and also get enough food in to stay healthy???

Wonder how many might have regrets doing this because of the food you have to give up. I've heard of patients loosing their hair from lack of proper nutrition also? I would like to hear from those who may have regrets doing this? Will you ever enjoy meals again? Do you get sick a lot? How many of you have had leaks or gotten infections? How many have had your surgery in Mexico? Please help me to make a decision.....

I am 63 and wanting to schedule my sleeve surgery...but still so scared. Keep worrying about my age. I have 2 friends who had this done in Mexico. I have no insurance and the price is affordable...but still so scared. I have no willpower with dieting and I have found exercise just is not enough. I am about 75 lbs overweight. I am so worried about the eating part after the surgery. I hear the hunger hormone is taken with your stomach, but I am a food addict. Kind of like a smoker. I find myself eating when I am not even hungry and its hard to control myself, ya know? Especially in the evening with the family. TV TIME..... And I know how important it is to get all your Water down. How do you do that and also get enough food in to stay healthy???

Wonder how many might have regrets doing this because of the food you have to give up. I've heard of patients loosing their hair from lack of proper nutrition also? I would like to hear from those who may have regrets doing this? Will you ever enjoy meals again? Do you get sick a lot? How many of you have had leaks or gotten infections? How many have had your surgery in Mexico? Please help me to make a decision.....

Nana, I am 63 (almost 64) five months out and doing fine. No complication. No difficulty

But you must be ready to have, for all your life, a different relationship with food. I like food. I enjoy food. But food is not and cannot be the be-all and end-all of life! You talk about TV time. It's a fun activity with family... It does not Require food.

Please do not have surgery unless you are really really sure...

My surgery is in 4 days! I am nervous as I've been struggling with my liquid pre-op diet but pretty much managing to stick with it. It's the 'food in my head' that looks so good, even though I am not really hungry. Also monitoring my blood sugar as it's been pretty low on the Protein drinks.

BTW, I made some egg drop Soup tonite. WAY easy and delicious as well as low cal and a good source of Protein. I love it when I find something that seems like a real food I'll be able to eat well into the future.

It's hard to imagine what I will feel like after the surgery, but hope the transition is easy and I'll feel well. I'm determined to make a success of this!

I am 66 and was sleeved 11/18. I was not scared for myself, but for my 65 year old husband who had so many comorbidities. I was thankful meds had put my weight up to where I qualified for the surgery, so we could do this together. I was tired of being depressed and watching my weight climb in 2013 when I retired. Now, Life is good. Very good. I would do this again in a heartbeat. The best part is the neuropathy in my feet is gone, along with Metformin, BP pills, and some of my fat LOL. I feel like a new person today. My husband is 6'1" and has lost over 40 lbs. He is doing great. He has back and leg problems, but I am thankful people won't be judging him for being fat before long.

Mokee, I am 62 and about 6 weeks out post-op and understand the difficulty with exercise.

If you can afford no other DVD, get Lelsie Sansones' Walk Your Belly Flat.

It has three one-mile walks that can be done in your house in your jammies....no gym, no equipment, no going out in all kinds of weather.

On bad days, I have my walker handy, and on really bad days I go through the movements sitting down. Each mile takes about 12 minutes, and it can be done standing in place if need be.

From a chair you can fake your way through strength training with or without hand weights, or diddly-bop along with cardio workouts or just move to the music (like nobody's watching). Hope this helps.

its so good to read all these posts. I am 59 have severe osteoarthritis of knees,cant walk much but I am hopeful of loosing weight.I am in the 3rd week now,still on liquids.< /p>

I am so glad I found this site! I had my sleeve done on January 21, 2014. I had my hernia taken care of at the time of the surgery and I was sore from that but not the sleeve. I was a bit sick the first couple days but after that I was fine. I too have some bad knees and I do a lot of bicycle riding in warmer weather. A couple years ago I took a bad fall on my bike and hurt my hip, so I am dealing with that. I try to walk on my treadmill at least 30 minutes a day. Right now its killing my knees but I keep doing it. I am finding out I am not as young as I used to be, I am 65. Thanks for sharing your stories, the weight will come off, I didnt put it on overnight and I know I am not going to lose it overnight.

I am so glad I found this site! I had my sleeve done on January 21, 2014. I had my hernia taken care of at the time of the surgery and I was sore from that but not the sleeve. I was a bit sick the first couple days but after that I was fine. I too have some bad knees and I do a lot of bicycle riding in warmer weather. A couple years ago I took a bad fall on my bike and hurt my hip, so I am dealing with that. I try to walk on my treadmill at least 30 minutes a day. Right now its killing my knees but I keep doing it. I am finding out I am not as young as I used to be, I am 65. Thanks for sharing your stories, the weight will come off, I didnt put it on overnight and I know I am not going to lose it overnight.

Hi Katie, 66 here, hernias for me and my husband also. Seem to be pretty common here. Sounds like you are doing good. I have had a knee replacement so I am doing the recumbent bike. Just bought myself a gorgeous bicycle and cannot wait for warmer weather to ride it. Best wishes on your journey, I am celebrating my new life every day. Wish you lived near me so we could bike together lol!

Glad i found a site for age 60!! I am 6 weeks post op on my sleeve. And hope to find friends and information on using this tool to the best of its abilities.