Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared and desperate

Hi... This is the first time I have posted at all so here it goes... I have been on this forum almost every day and I must say it seems you can get alot of strength and support from here... I so want to have the sleeve surgery but just really really scared something will go wrong or whatever...Like all of you I am just plain fat... I hate myself at this particular time... I am the biggest I have ever been... I am 45 and also in menopause and taking bio identical hormone therapy.. They certainly have helped my mental state of mind and I now have somewhat of a sex drive again (sorry if that is tmi).. lol...But my goodness I have gained the weight in the last year... I am 5'10 and have always been able to carry a good bit of weight... Im pretty ok with weighing 220lbs but now at a whopping 270... I hate this feeling... I have tried and tried to get this off but always fail and grab a bag of chips and a coke... Im obsessed with eating .. I wake up every day praying today will be a better day... I will eat healthy... I will drink lots of water... I will exercise... etc.... Never happens but yet the desire to be thin and healthy is sooooo there !!! .....I would be a self pay patient... I ve just recently gotten health insurance -- I have been rejected several times because I am classified as morbidly obese... I am really considering Mexico... It seems alot of people have had great experiences...I desire to have some telephone conversations with some of you... Is that possible????

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but, are you or aren't you classified as morbidly obese? Do you have any co-morbidities, health issues caused by the obesity? Check into you health insurance thoroughly to see what their criteria is for approval. Also, if you let us know your city/state, someone on the forum might be in your area and can suggest a surgeon or bariatric center in your locality. Also, they may be familiar with the health insurance you have and its process. As far as being scared of the surgery, that's normal. All of us that had the surgery were scared and anxious. But, when you consider the long term risks associated with obesity, we moved past our fears and did what we had to for a healthier, longer life! I wish you the best!!!

Yea,

I understand how you feel.

I was anxious too. Enough that my pcp noticed. But some how as I got more information about the sleeve and the benefits. I am no longer anxious about it.

This site has a lot of support to.

For me I want a healthier life. Staying morbid obese for me is causing many problems. So I'm ready for drastic improvement with hard work.

You are not alone.

Good luck

Have a healthy Happy New year!

You are not alone. I too struggled with my weight and getting to the point where I felt like--oh well! Take it one day at a time. Get up and walk around the block or even around the dining room table. Anything to get moving. I wish you luck on your sleeve journey. Please keep us posted.

Hi... I have been rejected several times because I am classified as morbidly obese..

Hi are you classified as Morbid obese. And do you have co morbidities.

Hello there and welcome.gif!

My suggestion is to research, research, research!! The more research I did, the more my nerves turned into excitement! And now, I'm completely content with my choice and so anxious for it to be over and for my new way of life to begin.

Obviously, I don't have much to offer in the way of experience in going through the surgery yet since I'm still 16 days away, but I did do a ton of research on surgeons in Mexico (not morbidly obese AND no co-morbidities; I didn't even bother with insurance) and I was very nervous about that when I first started out, so I would be more than willing to chat with you about my research process, etc. Just send me a private message if you want to connect.

There are a lot of very qualified surgeons in Mexico - many of them have done the procedure WAY more times than the US docs, so the more you learn about them, I believe the more comfortable you'll be.

Good luck! smile.gif

I'm always amazed at the GREAT advice and encouragement that I see given on this site. ALL of the above comments are right on target. Keep posting and you will have All the support you can ever hope for. I'm only 4 weeks post surgery and totally amazed at how much better I'm feeling after losing weight... 40 pounds since coming home from hospital and over 30 more before that. Good luck and stay in touch.

I keep hearing everyone is so scared of the surgery but although I feel a little scared at times I believe I am more afraid of dying from a obesity related illness. I can tell you that if you don't control your weight you will get where I am where I cannot walk further than a few steps without being out of breath and I have obesity related asthma that put me in the hospital this year where I was struggling to breath and the drs said they had done all they could , that's scary, and my electric was off for eight days during hurricane sandy and I had to get a generator to run my clap because I could NOT sleep or breath, that is scary, oh and I am off balance so I fall easily now. I am 280 and 5 foot 4.

Last but not least I have a serious Vitamin D deficiency due to obesity that inhibits my absorption of Calcium. I now have serious arthritis issues. That is scary!!!

So stop worrying so much. You will probably be fine and it will change our lives in a way we cannot even imagine. Hang in there. Get excited look through clothes mags and dream big! We can do this!! Only 10 days for me left!! I can't wait!

My surgery is jan 9 I have to diet on 1000 calories a day until surgery. I have two low cal frozen meals approx 300 calories each two cups of low cal veggies and one Protein Drink or two and sugar free hot cocoa and sugar free Jello or fit and lite vanilla Greek yogurt oh and caffeine free hot tea with skim milk and equal

It is not bad at all I tried the bariatric pudding with 100 calories and 15 Protein too it was pretty good. I failed on my diet on Dec 26 but have been doing good since. It is a state of mind I have concluded. I can be stubborn so I'm using that on myself! Ha!

I'm always amazed at the GREAT advice and encouragement that I see given on this site. ALL of the above comments are right on target. Keep posting and you will have All the support you can ever hope for. I'm only 4 weeks post surgery and totally amazed at how much better I'm feeling after losing weight... 40 pounds since coming home from hospital and over 30 more before that. Good luck and stay in touch.

Congrats