Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding mommas!?

How did it go?? my baby is 7 months old and i am going to be sleeved in a month, I do not want to wean at the moment.. I have a bunch of milk saved in the fridge to help while im on my pre surgery diet, incase my milk supply goes down a bit, and while im in the hospital. But i have heard that it will come back after surgry as long as i stay hydrated... can you give me your experiance..? did you contiune to BF? after?

I will be sleeved in just 4 days! Nursing a 6 month old who has started solids but doesn't take a bottle well. I'm nervous about how this is going to work post surgery, so happy to read all the nursing success stories!

Thank you for this post. I hope your all doing well. I'm planning to have my surgery in February the currently nursing my two-month-old baby. I hope I have the same success was that you that ladies had.

Oh I'm so ooo happy to hear this! I'm in the process for sleeve in July. I have a 4 month old I'm breastfeeding and I pump for her when I'm working. No one, no surgeon, pcp, pediatrician, can give me any advice except quit nursing! I don't want to but they think I can't have enough calories to produce milk. I would love if we could keep in touch some way. I'm already nervous and now I'm upset thinking I'm being selfish if I get surgery and can't give my daughter what she deserves!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Hi, I am now 6 days post op and am a nursing Mom.

I can imagine the mixed emotions you have regarding the surgery / nursing!

I spoke with my PCP and my surgeon and both were ok with me nursing and continuing to do so post surgery. Between my pre-op diet and surgery, I am down 32 lbs and I feel fantastic!

I did a lot of research to make sure that continuing to breastfeed would be safe for my son and myself. This is a personal decision, that only you and your Dr can make.

Good luck, however you decide! Keep me posted.

I'm new here so I posted but I was addressing busymomof4inTX!

Hi everyone!! I was sleeved on 8/14/2013 and my son was 2 years old and a few weeks. He is now 25 months and I am still breastfeeding!! I did not nurse in the hospital since I thought it would be very hard having him there then having to leave me. I would recommend pumping and sending milk to whoever the baby is going to stay with. I would NOT recommend nursing while you are in the hospital. You will be veryyyy drowsy, sore, and on many medications that need to get out of your system first, also you will need to focus on you and getting in your fluids. I started back nursing my son 3 days after surgery and we just propped the pillow up there and my mom laid him beside me (I do football hold) and we told him over and over to be easy because mommy has a boo-boo and we showed him my bandages. He understood and gave all 5 of my boo-boos kisses :). Every time he would nurse he would say, mommy have boo-boos, and I would say that's right, be easy. My surgeon and PCP was all for me bfing after surgery. My NUT was not. I have strong beliefs in BFing and have seen how powerful it is for my son and would advocate for anyone continuing to BF post op.

Hi, I am now 6 days post op and am a nursing Mom.

I can imagine the mixed emotions you have regarding the surgery / nursing!

I spoke with my PCP and my surgeon and both were ok with me nursing and continuing to do so post surgery. Between my pre-op diet and surgery, I am down 32 lbs and I feel fantastic!

I did a lot of research to make sure that continuing to breastfeed would be safe for my son and myself. This is a personal decision, that only you and your Dr can make.

Good luck, however you decide! Keep me posted.

I'm new here so I posted but I was addressing busymomof4inTX!

Hi everyone!! I was sleeved on 8/14/2013 and my son was 2 years old and a few weeks. He is now 25 months and I am still breastfeeding!! I did not nurse in the hospital since I thought it would be very hard having him there then having to leave me. I would recommend pumping and sending milk to whoever the baby is going to stay with. I would NOT recommend nursing while you are in the hospital. You will be veryyyy drowsy, sore, and on many medications that need to get out of your system first, also you will need to focus on you and getting in your fluids. I started back nursing my son 3 days after surgery and we just propped the pillow up there and my mom laid him beside me (I do football hold) and we told him over and over to be easy because mommy has a boo-boo and we showed him my bandages. He understood and gave all 5 of my boo-boos kisses :). Every time he would nurse he would say, mommy have boo-boos, and I would say that's right, be easy. My surgeon and PCP was all for me bfing after surgery. My NUT was not. I have strong beliefs in BFing and have seen how powerful it is for my son and would advocate for anyone continuing to BF post op.

Oh I'm so ooo happy to hear this! I'm in the process for sleeve in July. I have a 4 month old I'm breastfeeding and I pump for her when I'm working. No one, no surgeon, pcp, pediatrician, can give me any advice except quit nursing! I don't want to but they think I can't have enough calories to produce milk. I would love if we could keep in touch some way. I'm already nervous and now I'm upset thinking I'm being selfish if I get surgery and can't give my daughter what she deserves!

I had absolutely zero trouble nursing my baby after my sleeve. You do have to be really careful about getting in your fluids, as well as your Protein, but you can do it. Hang in there, mama!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I had absolutely zero trouble nursing my baby after my sleeve. You do have to be really careful about getting in your fluids, as well as your Protein, but you can do it. Hang in there, mama!!

I'm scheduled for May 11th and my daughter will be 5 months old. I am planning on breastfeeding through it. To complicate matters I am going to Mexico to do the surgery so I'll be gone for 6 days without her. I'm planning on pumping and dumping (since there is no way to freeze it and carry it with me on the plane) but my husband has a supply at home to feed her while I am gone. I expect my success depends heavily on my Fluid intake and how my body responds to just pumping and no suckling. I know there are different hormones involved between those two means of getting breast milk I'm hoping my body will be too preoccupied with the stress of surgery to bother with the hormones :)

Everything I read says your success depends on Fluid intake more than calories (think 3rd world countries and their calorie consumption!) As BIG girls we have plenty of calories to share even while shedding weight. However, if our Water isn't sufficient then the body just can't produce the milk. So, watch the water! Even if I have to stay up all night to get it in I'll be sipping water...

I don't think of it being selfish since I am already a ticking time bomb. Even if I have to stop breastfeeding she got 5 months AND I'll be alive long enough to see her children, God willing, but if I die it won't be because of weight related issues!! Right now I think my life expectancy is only about 20 years if I continue on the path I am. My body just can't hold up to my metabolic issues and my overeating.

Hello! I was sleeved last week and I'm continuing to breast-feed my son who is three months old. I've noticed that my supply has not tanked at all but I was doing a lot to increase my supply prior to the surgery. One concerning thing I've noticed is that the milk is lower in fat and his poops are sometimes a little green which is what happens when the baby is not getting enough fat from the breastmilk. Fortunately I had a huge stash of of milk made prior to going in so I give him the presurgery milk in the evening so he has a nice hearty milk before bed. So far everything's been fine but I'm excited to get more variety in my diet so I can increase my fats for him soon.

I nursed all of my babies, but that was a long time before my sleeve - I just want to encourage you to try! and just make sure you are getting enough fluids and calories. don't be afraid of healthy food.

I miss that special time with them.

Hi everyone!! I was sleeved on 8/14/2013 and my son was 2 years old and a few weeks. He is now 25 months and I am still breastfeeding!! I did not nurse in the hospital since I thought it would be very hard having him there then having to leave me. I would recommend pumping and sending milk to whoever the baby is going to stay with. I would NOT recommend nursing while you are in the hospital. You will be veryyyy drowsy, sore, and on many medications that need to get out of your system first, also you will need to focus on you and getting in your fluids. I started back nursing my son 3 days after surgery and we just propped the pillow up there and my mom laid him beside me (I do football hold) and we told him over and over to be easy because mommy has a boo-boo and we showed him my bandages. He understood and gave all 5 of my boo-boos kisses [emoji4]. Every time he would nurse he would say, mommy have boo-boos, and I would say that's right, be easy. My surgeon and PCP was all for me bfing after surgery. My NUT was not. I have strong beliefs in BFing and have seen how powerful it is for my son and would advocate for anyone continuing to BF post op.

That is SO precious!!! Children are so amazing!! I'm browsing posts because I'm considering having another child but I'm 38 years old so I'm nervous about being an older mom (will I have the energy? I'll be 58 when the child is 20!etc) I have 2 sweet boys and I will be 2 years post op January 2018... I lost 115 lbs and feel great.

I'm also on Cymbalta for anxiety so I have to get off of that and am afraid of dealing with my severe anxiety. Anyways a little off topic. Thanks for sharing your story!