Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you on clear liquids POST Surgery?

Feeling great! Gotta pep in my step...

I'm not sure how much I've lost. I had to take the scale out of the house bc I was obsessing! lol

At my 6 week appt' date=' I had lost 22.5 lbs (gotta include the half!) and I'm down another size since then.[/quote']

Congrats!! I can't wait to see results like that!!

My surg was one week ago today. I started on full liquids right after the swallow test the next morning. They gave me vanilla yogurt and milk and told me to try to get in 1 oz every 15 min while awake. I am supposed to do full liquids for two wks., then puree for 2 weeks, then soft for 2 weeks then whatever I can tolerate. I try to get in my 75 Gm Protein using a Premier drink with 30 Gm, an Unjury drink with 20-25, low fat and sugar eggnog for a holiday treat, yogurt and milk. Sometimes I only get 50-60 Gm but they said this first couple weeks may be hard in that respect and to place more focus on getting enough liquids. I'm still having a lot of waves of upper abdominal cramping so that makes drinking difficult.

My surg was one week ago today. I started on full liquids right after the swallow test the next morning. They gave me vanilla yogurt and milk and told me to try to get in 1 oz every 15 min while awake. I am supposed to do full liquids for two wks.' date=' then puree for 2 weeks, then soft for 2 weeks then whatever I can tolerate. I try to get in my 75 Gm Protein using a Premier drink with 30 Gm, an unjury drink with 20-25, low fat and sugar eggnog for a holiday treat, yogurt and milk. Sometimes I only get 50-60 Gm but they said this first couple weeks may be hard in that respect and to place more focus on getting enough liquids. I'm still having a lot of waves of upper abdominal cramping so that makes drinking difficult.[/quote']

I never had a swallow test! Is that to check for leaks?

Yes Candice. My surgeon does it before giving anything to drink after surg. They don't all do that but I found it reassuring since leakage was my prime concern.

Yes Candice. My surgeon does it before giving anything to drink after surg. They don't all do that but I found it reassuring since leakage was my prime concern.

Yes, you would think they all would do that!?

I never had a swallow test! Is that to check for leaks?

Candice, Dr. Lavin does the leak test in the OR while you're knocked out.

Candice' date=' Dr. Lavin does the leak test in the OR while you're knocked out.[/quote']

I was looking over my diet an and it looks like we can add Protein shakes at day 5! Nothing is really open so I stopped at the gas station and grabbed a muscle milk. I've been taking a couple sips. I'm not sure about it yet though!

I was never on Clear Liquids. My doctor puts his patients on full liquids for 14 days then puréed /mushiness. In hospital I was brought strawberry Protein mix.

I'll start on full liquid at the hospital ( anything that will flow through a strainer) and be on them for 3 weeks. After that I move on to soft foods for 3 weeks and after that...whatever I guess.

My diet is as follows:

Stage 1=hospital thru 1 week post-op

Protein drinks (made w/water)

Decaf/unsweet tea and coffee

sf Jello and popsicles

Water

broth

Crystal light

sf Kool aid

diet V-8 Splash and Snapple

Stage 2=2nd thru 3rd weeks post-op

anything listed above plus:

low fat creamed Soups

milk (skim or 1%)

sf pudding

yogurt (low fat, no sugar added)

thin mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, oatmeal and grits

Stage 3=4 thru 6 weeks post-op

anything above plus:

canned tuna, chicken, and salmon

cottage cheese

low fat cheese

eggs (scrambled or hard boiled)

low fat refried Beans

canned fruit (no syrup)

no sugar added applesauce

canned or soft cooked vegetables

I was sleeved 12/19 the problem I am struggling with is being highly sensitive/allergic to artificial sweeteners. I am on pure pea Protein unflavored it is awful and I gag on it . So no sugar free anything, Jello, juice, popsicle ext. Its just the broth and shake I am hungry and dreading every shake. Is there anything I can take for protein instead of the shake?

I was sleeved 12/19 the problem I am struggling with is being highly sensitive/allergic to artificial sweeteners. I am on pure pea Protein unflavored it is awful and I gag on it . So no sugar free anything, Jello, juice, popsicle ext. Its just the broth and shake I am hungry and dreading every shake. Is there anything I can take for Protein instead of the shake?

What shake are you doing? I finally found one I love.... Syntrax nectar chocolate Truffle ... it really really is good.

I am doing pure pea unflavored because I cannot have artificial sweetners :(

I've been on Clear liquids since last Wednesday night. My surgery was 7am Friday...I've been existing on Popsicles' date=' chicken broth, beef broth, Jello. I am hungry-- probably a combination of head hunger and true hunger.

My doc's instructions are no full liquids ( Protein powder shakes) for 7 days, which seems extreme to me compared to other people here on VST. It's crazy how everybody's doc has different restrictions for the same surgery. I was just curious about everyone's clear liquid stage post surgery -- how long and what did you eat (drink)? I feel myself getting a little down and depressed....

~Dana[/quote']

I was only on clear while in the hospital. How do they recommend you get your Protein in on clears? I was on shakes in the hospital' date=' so really I wasn't ever on clears.[/quote']

Isopure is a Protein Drink that is on the clear list. 40 g protein. Only setback is its so hard to drink the entire drink...