Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I A Candidate For Vsg - Brutal Honest Feedback Needed

Hi,

I am a newbie here and this is my first post. I have been reading a lot of the posts here and researching VSG. I would like you all to give me some honest feedback on whether I am a suitable candidate for VSG. I feel that others I might ask have a strong bias one way or other --> The doctors are all for it as after all it is what they are selling. My family and friends are all against any kind of surgery .. seeing it as either weak will or me making a mountain out of a mole hill or worse commiting body mutiliation.

You are all a group of strangers but you have walked in these shoes and been there.. I would be very grateful for your candid advice.

So Am I a candidate for VSG

• 40 yr old female
  • 5ft 2in
  • Currently 194 lbs. Never been lower than 125 lbs.
  • Life long issues with weight
  • PCOS for 25 years with related issues (infertility, Hair loss, dark skin in under arms and neck, hirsutism, cystic acne)
  • Diagnosed as Diabetic 3 months ago (A1a of 6.3)
  • High Cholesterol (Triglycerides - 215 / HDL - 3 /| Cholesterol to HDL ratio - 6.4)
  • Most of the weight I carry is on the mid section.
  • Family history of diabetes, High BP, and cardiac issues
  • Have had 2 surgeries prior which resulted in some keloid scarring - C-section and breast reduction for medical reasons (nerve issues, back pain)
  • Am considering VSG as I really really do not want to do a lapband and have that foreign object in me.
  • I eat healthy at home with organic foods, whole grains, made from scratch stuff. But when I do eat out, it is harder. I do have a sweet tooth.
  • Vegetarian --> Protein is going to be an issue. I eat dairy and eggs.< br />
  • I do have 100% coverage via my insurer. This should not influence my decision but I am reading it as medically supported proof.
  • Exercise - I exercize at least 2-3 times a week. Last 6 months I have been working with a trainer on resistance training. I love to hike.
  • I really really do not like to take pills.< br />
  • I am tired of being fat, too sick to do stuff, not finding nice clothes, not being able to keep up with my kid, avoiding photographs and generally feeling like I am going to be miserable till I die.

post-66259-13838396987728_thumb.jpg

Most insurances require BMI 35+ with 2 co morbidities. Or 40+ without. You are very close when it comes to insurance. But keep in mind there is the self pay option.

post-30418-13813661218496_thumb.jpg

Regardless of what anyone thinks or says, "are you ready"?

Ready to adopt a healthy eating plan for life

Ready for the reduction in the stomach size(not longer able to eat large quantities and certain foods) this is a biggy

Ready to take your vitamins(pills) daily, of course some can be found in liquid form

Ready to eat Protein with only a little veggie.

Ready to possibly give up Pasta, rice and potatoes forever

There are probably lots I have missed but give it some consideration regardless of any health issues you have. I believe yes that you issues would be lessened if not removed with the surgery. It sure is worth it for me!

The surgeons at Johns Hopkins strongly advocate for gastric bypass if you have diabetes. Bypass is more likely to cure it. Are you talking to a surgical center of excellence for weight loss surgery?

I think 197 isn't that bad..is your problem keeping a lower weight..because I would say it wouldn't be worth the risk..I'm not one of those to say you have to be super big and blah blah blah..but honestly..it is a risk..just be sure it is the only way you see your self in the futeure being healthy

Actually ur A1c is 6.3 and my primary said that it's normal. Now someone mentioned gastric by pass for diabetes and I just finished reading research stating that diabetes returned 5 years later in about 40% of the 4000 studied. Now I know that with gastric bypass the pouch stretches. So I'm hoping that with the sleeve we will change the stats.

IMO I think u would benefit in so many ways. But this is a decision that I need to make for u. What's right for me may not be right for u. So I hope u make the right choice for u. ;)

Thank you for all your perspectives. I realized that I should explain my assumptions or logic as it were. Are my assumptions invalid?

Assumptions-

The VSG will help with appetite control.This is the MAIN REASON I am considering this option. Right now my problem is I can eat a lot and before I feel full. I expect with VSG, I can feel full on a LOT LESS.

- The initial phase will involve a lot of Protein shakes and such. I can do this in the weight loss phase but cannot sustain for rest of my life consuming processed shakes. My expectation is that I can eat NORMAL food in life once I am in maintenance phase.. just much much smaller portions of it. This includes salads, and some whole grains like quinoa, brown rice etc. I can eat with my family and not have to make separate food for myself always. This is the reason I am choosing VSG as it is not a malabsorbtive procedure. We cook most things from scratch and for most part make healthy choices.

Ms Skinniness --> I made a mistake in the A1c number. It is 6.6 which is now considered diabetic. I read that study as well. One of the points made was that it is more likely to prevent diabetes if the surgery is done in early stages of diagnosis when the beta cells in the pancreas are still working OK. So I am interpreting that as if I have to do surgery, earlier is better.

OTR Sleever --> We have already checked with insurance and we are covered.

amazon13 --> A lot of very good soul searching questions.. I have to think about this. The ones i have most trouble with are (a) Ready to eat Protein with only a little veggie. I need to be able to consume vegetables. This is the primary source of my nutrients as I am a vegetarian. (b)Ready to possibly give up Pasta, rice and potatoes forever. Am I unrealistic to expect that I can do this in moderation in life? Say 1/3 cup of Pasta or rice?

My question would be; Where will you be at in two years time? The same? MORE obese? Or do you think that there is a chance that you can manage your weight and get it low enough that you might aleviate the medical issues that you cutrrently have.

If you're a typical person in teh first world, like an American, then chances are you will be fatter and more unhealthy in a few years. If you feel that this will be the outcome in your situation are you willing to face it? If not what steps are you willing to do to avaoid it?

I like many, some would say MOST, Americans were spiraling out of control, steadily gaining wieght and piling on more and more comorbidities. I would hazard a guess that for evey ONE person that takes control of their health and weight by diet and excersize ther are perhaps 3 more headed in the opposite direction and getting fatter and unhealthier. Which do you desire to be?

WLS is a drastic step, one that works wondes for a vast majority of people. It has done so for me as well. I was at least 375 pounds, probably closer to 400 pounds, had WLS and am now about 200 pounds. ALL my health issues have disappeared. My BP, blood sugar, resting heart rate and colesterol are now excellant. I am more active than I have EVER been before in my adult life.

The choice is your, and yours alone. There IS a risk, but there is also a risk in your current path. Only you can make that choice. You appear to be just over the edge of what most would consider the level at which you would "qualify" for WLS. Your answers to the above questions are what you need to conside. Where do you want to be in a few years? Fatter and unhealthier or thinner and healthier.

Chaya: IMO you can do this. I am a total bread lover, tortilla's and Pasta lover...Or, let me reframe that, I use to be. Now I am not that happy with eating those staples. Once you get to normal weight, you most likely can eat more veggies along with an adequate amount of Protein. It's really no big deal. Just the fact you have diabetes is a major reason to have this surgery. The studies show that the early on individuals with wls surgery are more likely to not develop diabetes. I just down load some more studies on wls and eating and need to read before I quote. JUST DO IT! You won't be sorry........ :)

This surgery and it's requirements are a lot tougher for a vegitarian than they are for meat eaters like me. OP I'd highly suggest you post a question with the vegetarian word in the topic so that if there are any here they can share how this works for them.

I'd be specific so that you cover what you eat and don't eat (ie do you do milk, eggs? etc) so that you can get better advice that is more specific to your issues. I know that in my research I read about challenges that people who don't eat meat deal with. Its not as easy by any sense of the imagination.

I am a vegetarian, and am almost 2 years out. I have had NO problem getting enough Protein, however for the first year, and even now I sometimes use Protein Shakes to boost my protein. I throw a muscle milk lite into my ice coffee, easy peasy! I can't eat as much in a sitting... but can graze like no ones business... and eat plenty of the wrong things. I have gained some weight, but still am SOOOO happy I have the sleeve. I am having to go back to "diet" eating, but that being said, its still easier than before. You do not have to give up grains, however the first year you need to really focus on protein and low carb veg to get the most out of your sleeve. I really missed the veggies, and started making veggie Soups, blended at first, and could drink a lot of thoses... at a low calorie/carb cost. It took many months before I could eat raw, salads, fruit skins and such, but now, no problem. The time will pass, the sleeve will become more forgiving, and it will be easier to gain. It is a great tool though, and well worth the risk in my opinion. Oh, and I was lactose intolerant for a few months early on, making it hard to get protein through milk, cheese and such..(whey was fine), but that went away after 3-4 months.

I knew there was a vegimatic on the boards :P I just couldn't remember who LOL

I have a similar profile, although I'm 46 and 280 lbs. I actually attribute most of my weight gain to the PCOS and corresponding insulin resistance warring with the low-fat diet craze; at the time I was gaining weight, no-one considered low-carb. But I digress.

On the go-for-it side: My health has been a steady procession down the list pf problems for a typical obese person, PCOS-->weight gain->sleep apnea->diabetes/hypertension/high cholesterol. Its pretty clear to me I will keep moving down the list to the more dire conditions if I don't lose weight (stroke, heart attack, poor circulation, joint pain). If you feel this describes you, then you are a good candidate.

On the try-something-else side: the diabetes medication Victoza (generic liguratide) has done wonders for me as an appetite suppressant. It really helps keep me from being a slave to hunger. On this medication I've been able to be successful at losing some weight (25lbs) and maintaining the loss. One possible option is to try this in combination with a diet/behavior modification plan to lose weight. I've been really successful working with a nutritionist and modifying my eating habits. Unfortunately, It's just not producing enough results for me. But the work I've done has given me a lot of confidence that I can handle the rigors of wls.

Hope this helps.

I am a vegetarian' date=' and am almost 2 years out. I have had NO problem getting enough Protein, however for the first year, and even now I sometimes use Protein shakes to boost my protein. I throw a muscle milk lite into my ice coffee, easy peasy! I can't eat as much in a sitting... but can graze like no ones business... and eat plenty of the wrong things. I have gained some weight, but still am SOOOO happy I have the sleeve. I am having to go back to "diet" eating, but that being said, its still easier than before. You do not have to give up grains, however the first year you need to really focus on protein and low carb veg to get the most out of your sleeve. I really missed the veggies, and started making veggie Soups, blended at first, and could drink a lot of thoses... at a low calorie/carb cost. It took many months before I could eat raw, salads, fruit skins and such, but now, no problem. The time will pass, the sleeve will become more forgiving, and it will be easier to gain. It is a great tool though, and well worth the risk in my opinion. Oh, and I was lactose intolerant for a few months early on, making it hard to get protein through milk, cheese and such..(whey was fine), but that went away after 3-4 months.[/quote']

I couldn't get past the part where you said you put a muscle milk lite in your iced coffee! Hello!!!! What a brilliant idea! Thank you. I'm trying that tomorrow!!!!

Being lacto-ovo vegitarian you really don't have anything to worry about Protein wise. Really most of the protein we get in the early stages comes from milk(whey) or eggs. There is really no need for meat.< /p>