Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone In The St. Louis, Mo Area?

Hey there,

I'm new to the forum and have my first appointment with my doctor in 2 days. Just wondering if anyone on the forums are in the St. Louis area? I'm going through the St. Alexius New Start program and my surgeon is Dr. Richardson. If anyone has had him for their surgery, please let me know your thoughts and experiences.

All the info on this forum is wonderful. It's really helping me as I start this journey to the best version of me I can be:)

Thanks!

Sorry Jen I am in your area, but I am going through DePaul with Dr Mario Morales. But my friend went through St Alexius and she had great success. Good luck on your WLS Journey!

I am in St. Louis. I went through Des Peres Hospital

Thanks:) It would be nice to have a St. Louis forum but I don't know that there are enough of us, lol.

I am a fellow "St. Louisin" really Union but close enough. Anyway I am going to Dr. Minkin at Des Peres Hospital and my insurance just approved it. Should be in Decmeber sometime but the staff I am worried about. They seem kinda rude. :angry: Maybe it's just me I hope it gets better. Dr. Minkin seems nice ^_^ . Anyone else have that issue?

I am from St. Louis, but had my surgery in Kansas City. I am self pay and the prices were so much better there!!!

Sorry Jen I am in your area, but I am going through DePaul with Dr Mario Morales. But my friend went through St Alexius and she had great success. Good luck on your WLS Journey!

I am a fellow "St. Louisin" really Union but close enough. Anyway I am going to Dr. Minkin at Des Peres Hospital and my insurance just approved it. Should be in Decmeber sometime but the staff I am worried about. They seem kinda rude. :angry: Maybe it's just me I hope it gets better. Dr. Minkin seems nice ^_^ . Anyone else have that issue?

I have almost the opposite. I love all the staff, but the surgeon doesn't have the best bedside manor. He's supposed to be a great doctor and has done over 1600 laproscopic barriatric surgeries. My second appointment is this week with a surgery date sometime in January (hopefully). I don't think I want to start all over with another surgeon.

I had my surgery at Des Peres - the nurses during my stay and my dr (Dr. Ricks) were great. All the other hospital staff from admitting to blood technicians, pre op and recovery nurses, ekg tech - etc were all beyond over the top incompetent.

Well sugery is coming up in less than 2 weeks getting excitied and nervous.

I am going to go in with low expectations with the staff and maybe they will surprise me. :o

I too have Dr. Minkin. I had my surgery on 9/27 and am down 41 lbs from my 1st visit with him. I love Dr. Minkin but have also found the staff rude on the phone. My insurance covered the surgery however I did receive a few bills after from Minkin, anesthesia, and the hospital. They were not bad but I thought it was all covered. My total was almost 30k! Anyway good luck! First few weeks are hard but it gets easier. My care in the hospital was also great but make sure to ask for extra pain meds in the iv. The morphine did not cut it!

Im in the stl area an going throw new start program. But i have dr.k and my sugery is 12/4.

Im in the stl area an going throw new start program. But i have dr.k and my sugery is 12/4.

Cool!!! My second appointment with the doc went much better. I think the first appoinment must have been a bad day or something. He seemed in a much better mood:) He did say that he wants me to have an endoscopy to check for a hernia since I have reflux. He can fix it at the same time if so.

I was wondering where all the St. Louis folks were hiding :). Can anyone suggest a good local support group? I had my surgery at Mercy in Washington. Went out there as I was self pay and it was more affordable to go out there. However makes for quite a drive for support meetings.