Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing Eating Habits

I think reducing volume at one sitting will do the trick. Today I'll scale down to 1/2 cup serving' date=' if I don't feel the tightness I'll know I was taking in too much. I can have another serving say 1/2 hour later once I know that is going down ok. I also found a demitasse spoon that I will use for pudding and yogurt.[/quote']

How did that go for you? Are you doing ok? I've started using my grandmother's baby spoon. It makes my "meals" extra special.

Sleeve date: Oct. 15. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

It was definitely hard and at eight months post-op, I still don't feel that I'm quite there. At first, it was trying to get my brain wrapped around the fact that two or three small bites equaled fullness and any more would make me totally sick. At this point, I'm much better (not perfect) with the Portion Control, but then again I can get down somewhat larger portions than I could before, so that helps. But I did think that I had nailed what types of food to eat and what foods to avoid - unfortunately, I've recently discovered that the "food monster" aka "carb monster" still lurks inside me and that I've got to work hard to keep it under control. Since I can get down WAY more carbs than Protein (alas, I've discovered that there are quite a number of sliders down there) and I do have an increased appetite and capacity as compared to the first few months after surgery, I really have to work hard to keep that monster under control and show him who's the boss. In short, changing eating habits is not quite as simple as it might seem in the first few months after surgery, but certainly easier than pre-op. The most important thing is to be aware of everything you put in your mouth and cut your losses as quickly as possible when you do lapse into old habits. And NOT spend too much time dwelling on mistakes - just reaffirming goals and moving back to the right path.

Hi' date='

New here and not sleeved yet. For those of you already sleeved, how hard was it to truly change your eating habits post surgery? Did you still have mental cravings?[/quote']

It was hard but that's what the sleeve if for. The hard part isn't the first 8 weeks; that's the healing time. It when u go to the stage when u have no food restrictions (meaning non mushy, full food stage). U kinda have to listen to ur bodies reaction to food...kinda like relearning to eat. And it is forever evolving. For instance, I couldn't eat canned tuna for 7 months. But now I can. Fried foods make me sooooo sick with pain so now I relate pain to fried foods and as good as it smells I wont even try it. Sweets also make me sick if I eat too much so only have a 2-4 bits and I am good. The other thing is getting Protein in. My hair started to fall out in clumps but it slowed down after I made Protein my number one priority to eat my 70grams a day. That why it only a tool and not a cure. For me is forced me the make the right choices because I knew if I didn't there would to something (hair loss, no energy, sickness, pain) to pay later.

How did that go for you? Are you doing ok? I've started using my grandmother's baby spoon. It makes my "meals" extra special.

food wise, going back to mostly liquids has helped. I'm having 2 shakes with Protein and skim milk and broth plus a SF Jello and Crystal Lite with Protein. No problem getting protein in this way. pudding and yogurt still too dense, by the time I add milk to thin it, the taste is gross! I returned to work yesterday too soon-my stomach is killing me! By the time I left my office, the pain you get when you sneeze was there but it was constant. My Dr. said to stay home today and see how I feel. I feel bad letting everyone down at work, but I don't want to cause any damage by not listening to my body! This is just the beginning if my journey-can't screw it up!

I'm glad the liquids are working for you. I'm doing pretty well with pudding & yogurt.

I was supposed to go back to work on Monday, but I asked for two more days off. I go back Wednesday.

Last night I went to a support group meeting and sitting there for two hours was awful. My incisions, stomach, and back were killing me. It was terrible, so I'm a little worried about going back to work now. We'll see how today goes, though. Mostly, I'm just tired. I've been sleeping like 10 hours and still feeling tired. It's a struggle to get out of bed.