Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Changing Eating Habits

Hi,

New here and not sleeved yet. For those of you already sleeved, how hard was it to truly change your eating habits post surgery? Did you still have mental cravings?

Well for me I didn't really have much of an appetite for the first few weeks. Then it kicked in but for the most part the foods that you are allowed to eat are fulfilling however I do at times want to eat other stuff but the sleeve won't allow it. It forces you to behave and the success of the weight loss makes it worth the sacrifice. I try to stick with the foods that I like and eat them regularly... Good Luck!!!

It's hard to do, but it's so worth it. I used to eat every carb I came across and wash it down with Dr Pepper. The high Protein diet is a HUGE change for me and when I first started it, I slacked off a bit and during my last check up my doctor pointed out that I was losing lean body mass and not fat and my weight loss had slowed down.

It was one of those epiphany moments where I told myself, I got this surgery to lose weight, I have to do the diet too and I went at it full force. I'm eating the high Protein low carb diet now and not only do I feel good for sticking to my diet and making changes, I feel physically better too.

Best advice I can give you; find foods you like that fit into your diet and experiment with cooking. Protein powder/shakes are essential. Also, before you put anything in your mouth, read the label. Innocent looking foods can be filled with carbs you never thought about. Also, don't be afraid to treat yourself every once in a while. Don't go crazy, but sometimes you just need some chocolate to remain sane.

I swear my 2 week pre-op diet helped me the most, It was mostly liquids...I get cravings sometimes, especially when my roommate brings food home, but you have to have will power and tell yourself "you can do it!"

Most of the time it is no problem at all. Other times, I will feel that urge to just eat or put another way, I do not feel satiated by eating the small quantity I should have. I suspect this will be a lifelong issue for me, but it is alot and I mean ALOT better then before.

I'm only one week post-op, and I really don't know what the heck I'm feeling inside! I also had a large hiatal hernia repaired (right side under breast still sore-coughing/sneezing is pure torture!) The gurgling and gas, hunger or head hunger...I'm not sure what's what! Today I made a nice chicken salad for the family and when it was all mixed- I had to keep saying to myself, 'you CAN'T taste it, Hol, becareful!' I was scared that old habits die hard and I would pop a spoonful in my mouth to taste for enough S&P, mayo, etc. Scary! I definitely was a picker, Pre-sleeve. This is an area I'm going to really have to work hard on-the mindless popping of food "to taste" it. Knowing I could hurt myself is a terrific motivator. I always used to find ways to justify my picking - now I have to be real, no more lying to myself!

I was just sleeved Monday! What the heck are the noises coming from inside?! I'm not hungry...I guess it's just gas going thru my intestines?

I was just sleeved Monday! What the heck are the noises coming from inside?! I'm not hungry...I guess it's just gas going thru my intestines?

It's gas, don't worry, after my surgery my stomach gurgling was so loud it annoyed the dogs. It will pass in a few days. Don't forget to walk around. My doc says that will help.

I keep wondering about the sounds, too...and the pains. I'm 5 days out & on Clear Liquids, and I'm not sure what I'm feeling is pain from the surgery or pain from overdrinking. I'm really struggling getting in my 64 ounces of fluid...mostly because I'm afraid of overdoing it. I don't want to distend my new pouch, but sipping all day is really difficult. So how can I tell when it's safe to drink? And how do you know the difference between gas, hunger, pain, and being full?

I, too am struggling with figuring out my bodies signals. Does a tightness in the center of your torso mean you're full? On full liquids still, so it's hard to gauge. I had an 8 oz. Cup of strained low far broccoli cheddar creamed Soup. Small sips, took about a 1/2 hour to drink. Was that too much and/or fast? I feel weird, though. I'm sure my stomach is still healing, but will the old full feeling gome back or will it always be different due to my new stomach shape? I don't want it to burst-from creamed soup!

I'm confused, too! I just had an entire can of warm beef broth over the course of about 30 minutes. Should I be able to "eat" that much at once?

Guys until you are on proper food you have no way of knowing what is enough. Even now at 3 months out I'm still learning. Full now does not equal pre-op full. Besides how many of us stopped at full pre-op? I generally went for stuffed.

Good question. 8 ounces in one sitting sounds like too much. I was told to stick to 1-3 ounces every 1/2 hour. But then I'm still not allowed full liquids--only Clear liquids, so my doctor might be more conservative than yours. How are feeling now?

Sleeve date: Oct. 15. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy

Good for you for taking your time, though.

Good question. 8 ounces in one sitting sounds like too much. I was told to stick to 1-3 ounces every 1/2 hour. But then I'm still not allowed full liquids--only clear liquids' date=' so my doctor might be more conservative than yours. How are feeling now?

Sleeve date: Oct. 15. Sent from my Samsung Galaxy[/quote']

I think reducing volume at one sitting will do the trick. Today I'll scale down to 1/2 cup serving, if I don't feel the tightness I'll know I was taking in too much. I can have another serving say 1/2 hour later once I know that is going down ok. I also found a demitasse spoon that I will use for pudding and yogurt.