Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am going to dr ortiz dec 3! Can I ask why you chose the sleeve?

Hi Bos123, sorry it took so long to answer. I was in Mexico while my husband had the sleeve by Dr. Ortiz. I will be glad to answer your question. I chose the sleeve because it was very well tolerated and has the least long term complications. I avoided the Gastric Plication because it is very new without a multiyear tract record. I also like the idea of simply removing the remainder of the stomach because once removed it can not possibly cause complications. i knew that there was zero chance of me deciding to go back and have it reversed. My son-in-law is a radiologist and can tell you that there are some horrific complications from the roux in Y. The lap band has a long history of complications and failure. George and I ran into a women in november at OCC that was there for a redo of her Gastric Plication. We also encountered many (6) nurses there for the same thing. There was also a 3rd year veterinary student fro London England.

Everyone did well including my husband. The Marriott Hotel is very pleasant. They will serve you chicken broth and homemade popsicles but the really good popsicles come from up one block and across the street in a little storefront that has lemon/lime and mango. You will feel like a little walk on day two anyway. If you think of any other questions send me an email at mjpram@aol.com. Do not stress about the surgery all that we encountered thought it was pretty easy. You will have some belly tenderness for 2 or 3 days.

yeaaaaaa my scale has started to move again........only a couple of lbs...but....its moving.....

got to start going to the gym.....paying for it but not going.....got to go...........

cheers everyone....from this 64 yr old....hey I have gone down a shoe size....lol.....

I'm 60. Surgery scheduled Jan 14. Preop diet starts Jan 1. After reading your postings-I'm even feeling better about getting this done! Thanks

I'm 63, sleeved 10/23/12, my age never came into the equation. My health was first and foremost in my mind when I found out in addition to hypertension, high cholesterol, cardiac issues, obesity, osteoarthritis, I was now pre-diabetic. I have been an unsuccessful dieter since my 20's. Little did I know, it was probably the very first time I dieted, way back when, that set me up for failure for the rest of my life. My body fought me every step of the way, each and every time I tried to lose, as if it was saying "Here she goes again!", shut down my metabolism and regained with a vengance. Lots of research, questions, and reading....here I am! So far - 36 pounds lighter in 6 weeks and a lot of healthy years (hopefully) to look forward to.

By the way....I am an old nurse too!

61--and count down to January 28th

Haven't been on the forum in a month or so. I've been focused on just moving forward. I am in month 2 of my "Dr. monitored 3 month diet" and just have big old give a poop attitude! He is all for me having surgery but isn't really invested in me. I am so rarely sick that we don't really have a relationship. I see my shrink more often than I see my pcp. He handed me a pre-printed 1500 calorie diet based on exchanges, told me to not eat after 6 PM and scheduled me to come back in a month. I counted calories religiously, walked the treadmill fairly regularly, but ate after 6 because I don't get home from work until after 6!! At day 30, (on Dec 15th) I had gained 3 pounds. Of course I was in boots and a heavy sweater which probably accounted for some of the weight since I had weighed originally in tennis shoes and a T-shirt. Anyway, he said to try to drop beneath 1500 a day, to maybe 1200 a day and honestly 1200 calories a day is just damn near impossible to do with Christmas! But I am going to go back to him on the 15th of January and we will see what we see. I have my first surgeon consultation on Jan 8th and am sure I will be much more excited after that. Anyway, I'm getting ready to take my grand-daughter home. I'll check in later. Just got a big case of the blues....

Sittin' here myself, looking at the sunny day from indoors. Can't get mobilized to put on my shoes and take a walk. Read your post and realized I , too, am having a bit of the blues. No particular reason. The carbs have been calling my name for weeks now. Sort of wonder what I was thinking in trying to drop 5 pounds in December. There is always January. I am beginning to wonder if I am afraid to lose 5 pounds. I know that when I had a deadline, such as in my insurance runs out and I would have to self-pay, I was much more motivated. Afraid of having to pay myself helped me, but so did the spring/summer seasons of fresh fruits and veggies. Well, I'm going to stop analyzing and at least go put on my socks as a start. :-)

K33 -Nice to hear someone else has a case of just don't cares. I am so anti-motivated. But you are right! It is easier when there are fresh fruits and vegies. The winter weather makes me want to eat comfort food. I am doing a great job of "everything will be better after I have surgery" or "I'll be more motivated to eat right, work out daily, avoid chocolate once I have surgery" and I really do know better than to think that way. I know nothing will change unless I change it. There are NO magic formulas. WLS is only a tool, NOT a cure. Yep - got the grand-daughter delivered and my hair washed, and my clothes ready for work tomorrow and at least that is a start. Thanks K!

A SIXTY here! Surgery was April 17, 2013. I'm down 33 pounds and wonder how some people are down 40 or 50+ pounds in less time? I always thought it would just roll off automatically but its slower than expected and yes I'm moving and a shaking! How about you :huh: ?

From my experience reading these boards, I've read again and again not to compare your progress with anyone else's. It only sets you up for failure. Someone will always be "faster" than you, and you will always be "faster" than someone else, so it is all relative. I only speak from my experience on the boards because I am preop and scheduled to get my surgery date July 2013. My dietician reminds me that eating Protein first acts kinda like a plug to the stomach to make you feel fuller longer. I also use FitPal to log all my food. It shows how much protein I'm getting, etc. I wish you good luck. I am 62 and hope to have VSG this summer.

I'll be 61 in September. When I was younger I used to be able to lose weight quickly and easily.. I was just never able to keep it off. Now it's a S.....L.....O.....W process. I'm hoping that won't be the case after surgery. I've always been a volume / binge eater, so maybe drastically limiting my portions will make a big difference. For the past few months I've been doing Weight Watcher's, but overeating anything... even with "no point" fruits and veggies, the calories still add up. I wasn't losing fast enough to stay motivated, would get discouraged and blow it.

I can relate to wanting to throw in the towel. But I recognize that feeling discouraged is an emotional trigger that sends me down the path of overeating. When I can identify that happening, it helps me slow down before taking the next bite.

An instructor for an overcoming compulsive eating class at Kaiser once said, "I wasn't happy or satisfied with my food choices at lunch, but I had eaten enough and was full. But, NOT being satisfied or happy was not a good reason to keep eating." That always stuck with me. I am 62 and hope to be sleeved this summer.

Well, I see my surgeon on this Wednesday the 3rd and hope to get a surgery date that day. I'm hoping he will schedule me for the 23rd of July or at the very least the 30th or the 6th of August at the latest. I am ready to get this done so I can start this "journey" as everyone calls it. I'm feeling like a slug lately. I am worried that I won't have the motivation to exercise after surgery - especially when I do like this weekend and spend the whole weekend laying around the house. Last weekend I helped my husband shear one of our angora goats and after 3 hrs in the heat, on the ground, wrestling to keep her still so she wouldn't get cut by the shears I have gone to work and come home and flopped down each night. Not real good for keeping the old metabolism. Anyway, I'm hoping my body won't hurt so much once the weight starts to come off and that I have the energy to actually climb on the treadmill everyday.

All you lovely sleeved 60s keep up the good work and all of us still waiting, keep our chins up.

Kaj

Hi,

I had my VS on April 4, 2013 and I can now say "I love my sleeve!"

Every day is wonderful and then again not. Right now it’s a day by day process. I'm still trying to find out what works for me as far as scheduling my meals and Snacks. I have found, if I drink something in the AM before I eat Breakfast. It throws everything out of whack. I eat breakfast and have my Protein Drink later in the morning. I'm still not eating that much but I do get my Protein in, fluids intake daily and my Vitamins. This is the most important thing to do for me. I have not really started to exercise. It's on my list of things to do tomorrow. I have lost 60 lbs

I will be turning 64 next month and this surgery is the best thing I could have done. My mother is 86 and I hope I will be around at least that long  If I can do this you can too.

Carole