Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back To Smoking

Unfortunately i had a crossover to smoking, i quit for a month and I am back to the pack :-( sucks but its a good relief

Good luck, no bashing from me because only you know what is good for you and your health.

I stopped with chantix, and never picked it back up again. No judging here, but quiting would be really beneficial ;)

I quit before surgery then 1 month out I started again. I have cut down a lot however I do buy the occasional pack. It is so hard.

My doctor, Dr. Peter Lalor, one of the best there is, will not do the operation on anyone who has not quit smoking, He tests them, he will call it off. He has dealt with complications from smoking after surgery, even death.

I empathize with the struggle it is to quit. Been there. Whatever smoking adds to your life, it takes much more away.

From a website on bariatric surgery:

Before gastric sleeve resection or any bariatric surgery, you must quit smoking, as smoking increases the risk for infections, pneumonia, blood clots, slow healing and other life-threatening complications after surgery. Ideally, you should permanently quit smoking, but even if you don't you must quit for at least one month before and one month after bariatric surgery.

Edit: I spoke to a surgical nurse who works exclusively with a bariatric surgeon. She is adamant that smoking is out citing ulcers and bleeding problems as common consequences.

well - I"m healing great - never quit smoking prior to surgery and still smoking. doctor says I'm doing great with healing and there were no problems with surgery and that is all went like text book - did the breathing exercises - and am fine. to each their own....flame away. As i become healthier diet wise I may at that time make the decision for chantix and such - but I'm not there yet.

chantix gave me nightmares and made me extremely depressed. ecig works good. still havent officially quit because my scheduler didnt submit to insurance yet. well she did as of yesterday. but still...until i get my surgery date its going to be very hard for me. i have made a huge effort though and instead of a pack a day. im down to 3 a day. i promised myself i will be cig free 3 weeks before surgery no matter what. i want to be there for my daughter in the long run. im 25 and my lungs are 42 years old

well - I"m healing great - never quit smoking prior to surgery and still smoking. doctor says I'm doing great with healing and there were no problems with surgery and that is all went like text book - did the breathing exercises - and am fine. to each their own....flame away. As i become healthier diet wise I may at that time make the decision for chantix and such - but I'm not there yet.

I'm like you as well, I didn't smoke past 12midnight the night before surgery, surgery was 9/12 & then after surgery a few days I started back, I want to quit sometimes but other times I'm like oh well... Quitong ik is better for us of course & like you I'm not there yet.. Sometimes I feel guilty as I'm sitting here smoking one now & I'm like why are you smoking, it can take longer to heal from it & the list goes on as to why I don't need it but any smoker knows that's easier said then done...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

chantix gave me nightmares and made me extremely depressed. ecig works good. still havent officially quit because my scheduler didnt submit to insurance yet. well she did as of yesterday. but still...until i get my surgery date its going to be very hard for me. i have made a huge effort though and instead of a pack a day. im down to 3 a day. i promised myself i will be cig free 3 weeks before surgery no matter what. i want to be there for my daughter in the long run. im 25 and my lungs are 42 years old

I have to heard that about Chantix, a friend of mine tried it last year & said she had the weirdest dreams of rats & other freakishly weird things & she got off that stuff quick... Ik in my mind it's all a mind over matter thing but I'm 35, been smoking since my daughter was 2 & she is now 17... Ik my lungs are so nasty looking.... Some days I wanna quit & others I'm like nope but since my surgery I have thought about it more & more... Good luck to you...

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am 6 days smoke free! I think this may be the hardest thing I have ever done .....but sooo worth it for surgery! I've never wanted to quit because, well, i liked it, and when you quit you gain weight, and we all know we will do anything not to gain more weight! So I told my husband I will quit as long as I can have the sergery but the moment they say I can't have it, I will be buying a pack! I see the dr thurs so hopefully I will be smoke free for a long time!

I quit cigarettes prior to surgery. Im glad to say that I am still cig free - but now I am the owner of several hookahs. I dont smoke during the day or at work, but when I go home its not unusual for me to go through a bowl of Starbuzz shisha and several coals (3 hours or so of straight smoking).

So yeah, definitely a crossover addiction.

I quit cigarettes prior to surgery. Im glad to say that I am still cig free - but now I am the owner of several hookahs. I dont smoke during the day or at work' date=' but when I go home its not unusual for me to go through a bowl of Starbuzz shisha and several coals (3 hours or so of straight smoking).

So yeah, definitely a crossover addiction.[/quote']

I have been smoke free for 2 wks! And this has sooo crossed my mind more than once! Lol

I have been smoke free for 2 wks! And this has sooo crossed my mind more than once! Lol

The good news is my place smells like lemon/lime margaritas (minus the alcohol smell) and I dont stink of smoke :)

I dont know if it is just as harmful as cigarettes or not (and i refuse to get into it), but whatever. It tastes amazing (im running through several different flavors right now (Pirates Cave (lemony/limey), Queen of Sex (skittles flavor/smell), Purple Savior (Kind of fruity with some spice and flower aftertaste), and Melon Blue (honeydew/blueberry flavor).

I think hookahs make great conversation pieces and when my friends drop by, i can smoke while they drink and then they can try my flavors too.

My first ****** cost about $110. Thats including the base, the stem, the ash pan, the bowl, hose, tongs AND a carrying bag. Its about 28" tall. Shisha (tobacco) for the ****** varies between companies. I prefer Starbuzz - they have a bolder taste and thicker smoke. I also like some Fantasia flavors.

For 250g tins of tobacco, I pay about $25. A tin (im i smoke nothing else) lasts me about 20 days or so. Coco Nara coals run about 10-12 bucks for a box of 135. 135 coals lasts me well over a month.

My per-month expenditure is probably between 40-50 bucks a month.