Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbladder Disease

I was in the ER last night due to horrible pain in my right side (right under my right breast) i am a little over 2 weeks post op... Turns out I am "filles to the brim" with gallstones! Now i need surgery to have my gallbladder removed. At this point I'd rather just hide under my bed, i just cant do another surgery. Has this happened to anyone here?

As soon as it's safe to do the surgery do it! I got mine out at the same time as the VSG- had been suffering for too long with gallstones.

Is it that necessary? Would i die if i didnt have it out?

need surgery to have my gallbladder removed. At this point I'd rather just hide under my bed, i just cant do another surgery. Has this happened to anyone here?

Amandazee

too bad you weren't aware you had some sort of problem with gall bladder pre-surgery, then you could have killed two birds with one stone :(

you will eventually have to have the GB removed - do it now - you'll get rid of that problem

i had my GB removed 5 years ago, for me it was a piece of cake......ooops :lol:

continued great luck with your new best friend the sleeve

good luck

;)

I, too, am filled with gallstones. I have suffered the wicked, wicked attacks for a little over two years now and come surgery day, that little bugger is getting cut out right along with most of my stomach and I can't wait !!! I'm almost more excited about being rid of my gallbladder than I am getting sleeved (almost !). The attacks will just get worse, and eventually, if left alone, your gallbladder can rupture and it can be a very life threatening event ! I told my surgeon that I probably didn't need to do a pre-op diet since my spleen was already removed years ago, and he's taking my gallbladder out so it ought to be downright roomy in there when he goes after my stomach !!! He didn't agree... ;) I'm a week into my pre-op diet, and his is really lenient, so it's been a piece of, uh.... asparagus :D I was a little bad today though. Was my best friends birthday so I had a martini with half a dozen blue point oysters !!! OMG it was so good, and I could have been so much more naughty !!!

Hang in there, I know the pain is awful but gallbladder surgery is worth it to be rid of the pain !

Not to hijack this thread, but I had what I think was a gallbladder attack on Sunday, but none since. Do they start out infrequent and then get progressively worse and more regular? I had an ultrasound a four months ago and they said my gallbladder had no stones. I see my PCP next week, but I am curious as to other's experiences.

hi, my Dr. put me on a medication to help prevent gallstones for the 1st 6 mos. post-op. It is called Actigall. He said sleeve patients may have a tendency (spelling?) to gallstones. maybe ask your Dr?

I had my gallbladder removed about 6 or 7 years ago, and will be having my gastric sleeve performed in February. Has anyone had the wls done with a prior gallbladder removed. If so does it's cause problems, or know of any doctors comments on this issues. Any input would be deeply appreciated thank you.

I had my gallbladder remove 9yrs ago and I'm happy I did cause when I had an attack I thought I was having a heart attack some ppl feel pain in their right side oh boy my was in my chest so I've been doing fine w out it but I get dumping every now and then depending on what I eat like fried eggs and I go regular regular multiple times a day

Is it that necessary? Would i die if i didnt have it out?

Let me entertain you with a little story about a girl who was afraid to have her gallbladder taken care of..., I was awake every night pacing the floor and vomiting.. Sometimes bile, sometimes blood, sometimes both. By the time I decided she should visit the hospital, I had a high fever and was virtually unable to move. Upon visiting the emergency room I was admitted for emergency surgery. I didn't get to ask the surgeon questions, I didn't get to pick a good surgeon or hospital... The surgeon didn't have a chance to make sure he had extra long instruments to fit through my big fat belly... there were no antiembolism stockings in my size so I had to do without. Everything had to be done quickly as the gallbladder had already ruptured things went septic. The gallbladder was gangrene and in several pieces. My liver had to be scraped of bits of rotten gallbladder and infection. A surgery that should have been done as a quick and easy procedure, took hours as the doctor had to search around internally for bits of rotten gallbladder and infection.

Sounds yummy right? Seriously. I was an idiot. I NEVER should have let it get this far. The doctor told me my gallbladder was the grossest thing he's ever seen. Now he's a doctor so I assume he's seen a lot of gross things. PLEASE don't wait.. Just get it out. If it ruptures, there is a very real possibility of death .DEATH. Though by the time you reach that point, the pain is so bad that you don't even care if you die. Don't be stupid.

My doctor does a cholangiogram during surgery and if any stones are found he removes the gb. He also told me he will fix anything he finds, whether its a mass on an ovary or a hiatal hernia, whatever he sees and is able to fix he will fix. Now I have these thoughts of him inspecting every organ inside me one by one while I'm under. I don't know. It seems odd he would venture into other areas. I understand gb or hernia. Anything else? Not so much.

My gallbladder was taken out two years ago. The organ had turned gray! I had stones too. It was six hour open surgery. Lots of adhesions from prior surgery. I felt so much better after having it out.

thanks for responding' date=' you also had weight loss surgery[/quote']

No my surgery date is jan 21