Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 9 Months Out And Problem Need Info Not Encouragement?

Had my surgery in Nov/2011. Lost 100lbs by 6 months. In the past 4 months however I have lost about 10 lbs. In 4MONTHS!

I had a starting total of 250-300# total to lose. So while I have lost 110# I am still a size 5X which means I haven't even gotten to buy any new clothes yet!!

I cannot talk to my surgeon about this because he charges $245 for a followup visit!!! and my insurance won't pay.

Yes-I know I should exercise. But I am still so large that that is still nigh impossible. Even walking as I can't find walking shoes that fit yet.

Yes-that is all just an excuse I know.

Here's the problem. I am consuming 1200-1500 calories a day. Is that high for someone 9 months out-(who currently weighs 390)?

When I did WW a few years ago I was allowed about 2500 calories a day and lost an average of 2# a week.

So why am I not losing more when I am eating so much less calories? The natural laws of physics and all that-that say a pound is 3500 calories and it takes 10 Calories per pound just to maintain a stationary body. So since I am taking in less calories than I expend (even being a couch potato) I should still be losing at least 4 lbs a weeks. But 10 lbs in 4 months!!!

It would be difficult to take in less calories than I do unless I went back on liquids or fasted. I eat semi healthy and about 1/4 the amount I did pre-surgery.

I'm not unhappy with my surgery-I just didn't expect to stop losing so quickly and while I still have so much to lose.

Help!!

It's time to go back to basics. Cut your calorie intake back to 900 - 1000 and start moving around more. I know that I am 11 months out and have stopped losing a while back. But I'm pretty much at goal weight right now.

You body needs a real shock right now and if you've ever read LilMissDiva's "The Basic Bootcamp" your notice that the people that have tried it has been very successful. I still eat Protein first, some veggies, and some starches. I need to go back on the basic bootcamp so I can get rid of my sweet tooth right now. So I just located it on my desktop and I'm going to paste it here so you can decide if you'd like to try it or not. Good luck. Your really not done, so keep working that sleeve. :)By LilMissDiva!

The BASICS BOOTCAMP:

For 5 STRICT DAYS I will eat only...

Proteins: Seafoods, Poultry and eggs, Dairies, nuts/seeds including Peanut Butter.

Veggies: Green only.

Fruits: None.

Breads/Cereals/Other Carbs: None.

Fluids: One gallon of Water (128 oz.) or Protein drinks.

Avoid: Sugar and Sodium

Once the 5 days are over, I am pretty much over the Sugar Carb Demon. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate carbs! I do need them to live a healthy life and since I workout a lot it is important I have them. However, I need GOOD carbs. Whole grains, fruits, veggies... But I don't need processed sugars. White carbs, in cereals, breads, rice... etc.

I'm less than two months out, but I can advise swimming is good exercise and not hard on the joints.

You may not be able to do strenuous exercise but you can move enough to work up some burn. There's a lady that used to come on PBS and they sell her program on DVD called "Sit and Be Fit."

Are you measuring your food and journaling your intake? Sometimes calories creep in and we don''t even know it if we don't write it down. Also, how long since you had blood work? Is your thyroid working okay? Are you perimenopausal? Those hormone fluctuations can really mess with your metabolism. Are you carb-sensitive? I can gain a pound overnight if I go over 100 gms of carbs a day. Are you getting enough Protein? Are you eating a lot of sodium-filled food?

I agree, at your present weight you should be losing more than a pound a month. Best to track everything and see where you can tweak.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for lil miss divas boot camp notes. I'm 7.5 months out and have only lost 50 lbs. I haven't lost anything in over 6 weeks! A little frustrated... I'll try boot camp and hope it kick starts things a bit.

I've been toying with the idea of the Boot Camp for awhile now. I think that is what I'll try. Also-now that the hot weather is past I can get out more (until the snow comes!). I'd love to do swimming-but there is no local pool.

I have seen the sit and be fit videos. I recently bought a Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies. I just need to get off my butt and get moving. Hard to overcome 20+ years of sedentary habits.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll get to goal yet!

With all do respect in your original statement/post you said that exercising is nearly impossible still due to your body habitus yet you are now consiering a boot camp?? I'm sorry but I do Zumba 3x a week yoga 2 x a week and walk every day and consider myself to be in pretty good shape despite my current status. There is no way I could do a boot camp even with the cardio I get as it is.

I would reccomend swimming or walking to get yourself up to a good pace cardio wise and time wise- You will definitely be out of your element walking into a boot camp with no experience and/or tolerance built up. I would not want to see you set yourself up for failure which is why the docs and many on this board would encourage you to take little steps at a time. Walk to the mail box, then a few houses down and each day increase it before you know it in a month you cold be walkin for 30-45 min and that is amazing!! No need to go out 1st run and do a marathon...

I'm sure you will firgure out what is best for you and I wish you luck...

With all do respect in your original statement/post you said that exercising is nearly impossible still due to your body habitus yet you are now consiering a boot camp?? I'm sorry but I do Zumba 3x a week yoga 2 x a week and walk every day and consider myself to be in pretty good shape despite my current status. There is no way I could do a boot camp even with the cardio I get as it is.

I would reccomend swimming or walking to get yourself up to a good pace cardio wise and time wise- You will definitely be out of your element walking into a boot camp with no experience and/or tolerance built up. I would not want to see you set yourself up for failure which is why the docs and many on this board would encourage you to take little steps at a time. Walk to the mail box' date=' then a few houses down and each day increase it before you know it in a month you cold be walkin for 30-45 min and that is amazing!! No need to go out 1st run and do a marathon...

I'm sure you will firgure out what is best for you and I wish you luck...[/quote']

You misunderstood. The bootcamp she's referring to is a diet. Read the entire thread, and you'll see where it's mentioned.

Omg I just posted a help thread. In some wht the same situation. Then I read your thread. So I feel u. I started out pre surg 401. Now I'm 304 and been fluctuating b/t 304-308 for over 3 mos. it sucks. I was a 30-32 and now I'm a 22 and very few 20s. I'm not in the 5x no more which I'm thankful for. I'm 3x top thanks to these boobs of mines but 2x bottom cause I have no butt. Lol. Praying that God will enhance your metabolism and help u get thru this. Keep your head up we will get thru this.

Thanks lil miss diva! I'm doing boot camp this week and I've lost 6 lbs in 4 days... Nice kick start to get the scale moving again!

Awesome I think imma have to do this too.

Oh wow, your problem is the whole reason I am considering this surgery in the first place. I have made many pushes to lose weight and have been somewhat successful in the past, but only on a VLCD. When I count up my calories consumed vs calories burned, I always show a HUGE deficit on paper that should translate into huge pounds lost, but it actually winds up just being ounces lost :-(

I made one more push last year to lose. I bought a body bug, I counted every calorie and logged it faithfully and I lost far FAR less than expected. I finally just resigned myself to the fact that my body simply does not REQUIRE all the calories that people are telling me it does!

I've been doing some research on metabolism, and did you know that some people actually try to lower their metabolism in order to have longer life? Yeah, it's true. apparently, if you are able to lower your metabolism and only eat what that metabolism requires and manage to avoid obesity, you can add years to your life. So now I'm embracing my slow metabolism as a good thing. I'm done with trying to raise it, I just need to learn to feed it properly for ME and if that means 600 calories a day to lose and 1000 calories a day to maintain then THANK GOD for the sleeve... because I think it will be pretty hard for me to do this... but without the sleeve it would be impossible.

Hi, I know how you feel. I know you say that you don't need encouragement. But please allow me this being well over a year post op. There will be times when no matter how well you stick to your diet or how much you exercise you just wont lose. Then when you least expect it the pounds start falling off again. With that said, my surgeon advised me to consume no more than 900 calories a day. So you have to reduce your intake. Again, I know its hard. Also, are you taking your Vitamins? Because believe it or not it makes a difference. My starting weight was 542 lbs so I know the exercise thing is a little tricky, but Richard Simmons makes a exercise video. I cant remember what is called, but you do it sitting in a chair. I used it when I first started. There is also a pedal thing like on a bike. Again I cant remember whats is called, but I'm sure you've seen them. Anyway, I sat in a chair and used that, but I also used in to exercise my arms too. Anything to just get your body moving. I hope I've been of some help. Good luck!

Oh wow' date=' your problem is the whole reason I am considering this surgery in the first place. I have made many pushes to lose weight and have been somewhat successful in the past, but only on a VLCD. When I count up my calories consumed vs calories burned, I always show a HUGE deficit on paper that should translate into huge pounds lost, but it actually winds up just being ounces lost :-(

I made one more push last year to lose. I bought a body bug, I counted every calorie and logged it faithfully and I lost far FAR less than expected. I finally just resigned myself to the fact that my body simply does not REQUIRE all the calories that people are telling me it does!

I've been doing some research on metabolism, and did you know that some people actually try to lower their metabolism in order to have longer life? Yeah, it's true. apparently, if you are able to lower your metabolism and only eat what that metabolism requires and manage to avoid obesity, you can add years to your life. So now I'm embracing my slow metabolism as a good thing. I'm done with trying to raise it, I just need to learn to feed it properly for ME and if that means 600 calories a day to lose and 1000 calories a day to maintain then THANK GOD for the sleeve... because I think it will be pretty hard for me to do this... but without the sleeve it would be impossible.[/quote']

I got a Body Bugg a few years ago because according to the charts and everything I was reading for a person of my size my body used about 2800 calories in a 24 hour period without working out..was I surprised to see after using my BB for a cpl weeks that I barely used 2500. So that being said every body is built different and will use energy different so dont relay on charts to much...getting back to basics may be what your body needs to shake it up a bit...good luck