Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking :( Vs. Eating

So, I've smoked on and off for the past twenty years or so. Recently at work the three of us who smoke were trying to figure out a competition or something (kind of like The Biggest Loser) to see who could quit. When one of the 'big suits' found out, he offered us a challeng: Quit for one month and everyone gets $50! We all had no problem doing it and we're all $50 richer as of yesterday!!!! :) I've quit a hundred times in the past but have always found my way back to it (that's a whole other story). So, now that I'm not smoking, I realize I'm eating more. In the past I've always had in my mind: either I smoke and get cancer or I eat and get fat.

Kind of regardless of the smoking thing though is I've been at a 50 pound stall for a good 3 months. Although I'm proud of myself (surgery was in MX Jan 3 of this year) I'm really really freaking frustrated. 50 pounds is great, but it's absolutely not enough. I definitely have another 50 to go and I'm really struggling.

I don't want to start smoking again but I need to find a way to keep my eating in check. I was exercising for a good solid few months but when I started this job I come home completely exhausted and just want to sleep....which is ok with me bc if I'm sleeping I'm not eating!

Any advice?

PS: the suit told us that if we started smoking again we owe him the $50 PLUS another $25 ;) The guy is awesome and him supporting us in this is amazing.

I would try an Ecig. They are great especially if the addiction is more "hand to mouth" related. I use the cignot brand as they have 100's of flavors to choose from, like peach, vanilla, cotton candy, toffee.... The list goes on.

It's really hard to tell you how to break your 3 month stall when we don't have any data on your diet. But have you tried chewing gum. As for your diet, go back to eating the basics like LilMissDiva's The Basic Bootcamp Diet here suggests. It's pinned somewhere. Good luck and let's get that other 50 lbs off. :)

I suggest changing up your diet and using that as a focus point for when you would otherwise smoke. Also, we find time for things we want to participate in. Find time to exercise. Choose to do it. You will be less tired as a result, plus, exercise feels better when you are non smoker.

And awesome job on the quitting!

I think it is so neat that your boss challenged you guys to quit. What an awesome boss. You should be proud of yourself for quitting - it's hard!

Without having any idea what your diet is at it's hard to offer any thoughts, but I did post on another thread earlier tonight about what I've read on stalls and maybe some of the ideas would help? http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/topic/50739-just-make-me-feel-better/

It helps me to log my food on MyFitnessPal and look at other diaries to get an idea of where I am in comparison to people who are out from surgery around the same time as me. I am not as far out as you, but I have read posts from people further out and some said that they stalled and then looked closely at their diet and realized they had let some things creep back in. Is it possible that's part of it? It's easy to let the little things slide when we're having a tough time - I have done that too many times when trying to lose weight. Is it possible that you might be supplementing not smoking with food? I did that when I quit and gained quite a bit.

But whatever you do - don't give up! Even if it means going back to basics, you can do this. Have you talked to your NUT and/or your surgeon? Maybe they can offer some more specific advice after seeing how you're doing.

I know what I 'need' to do. Protein. Protein. Protein. I've been snacking more than I should (can't even admit to what I've been eating :() .

I just liked smoking bc I ate less. But I know I can't go back to that.

I know I'll figure it out. And my motivation right now is at least to get down another 10 pounds before I go back home for the holidays. Every day is a new day and I CAN DO IT!!! ;)

Thanks for all feedback. Happy Holiday weekend to all....

PS: anyone ever wish MORE of their stomach was removed? So, I think they take out about 80%- 85% of the stomach. I wish I could get another 10 removed....wishful thinking I'm sure. :P

i personally havent been sleeved but i kinda struggle with the same thing. my last diet. appt is september 5th and i know once i have my surgery date on paper mentally i will have to stop. i am taking chantix again so hopefully it will really help subside the cravings. ive been bumming off my friends i refuse to buy a pack!!

i know how you feel with sleeping right after work ( i have a 2 year old and sneak in a nap almost everyday before i pick her up from daycare) once we get home we do dinner and then im kinda bored (taking 2online classes to keep me busy as well) then for that last hour before the babysitting closes at the gym i bring myself to the gym for at least 45 minutes which makes me sleep and rest sooo comfortably.

its that *after meal CIG* that kills me. as soon as i finish a meal its all i want!!!! before i had it ready and waiting. now i wait at least a half an hour to an hour before having a cig. i really really really want 2 stop but it is hard. payday this friday and i will DEF be investing in the E CIG. i think it will REALLY help alot!!!!

i havent been sleeved but i could imagine it is hard and frustrating. do you have fears of stretching your sleeve? mentally thats what i think about. i think all the junk and bad stuff will make me sick and even now if i slip up off of my nut meal plan i get really really sick. >( good luck to you! maybe your dr can prescribe you chantix.

I know what I 'need' to do. Protein. Protein. Protein. I've been snacking more than I should (can't even admit to what I've been eating :() .

I just liked smoking bc I ate less. But I know I can't go back to that.

I know I'll figure it out. And my motivation right now is at least to get down another 10 pounds before I go back home for the holidays. Every day is a new day and I CAN DO IT!!! ;)

Thanks for all feedback. Happy Holiday weekend to all....

PS: anyone ever wish MORE of their stomach was removed? So, I think they take out about 80%- 85% of the stomach. I wish I could get another 10 removed....wishful thinking I'm sure. :P

Try chewing gum. That's what helped me the most and also brushing my teeth a lot when I wanted to smoke or if I know its head hunger. Sometimes when you feel hungry it might be that your thirsty.