Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for Bandsters in Dubai and Qatar

Hi!

Are there any Bandster support groups in Dubai? I know that the Emirates Hospital performs weight loss operations including Gastric Band Surgery, so there must be Bandsters in the UAE. I am only aware of Desertmom who is now a former Bandster.

I am in Dubai 2 - 4 X's / year, visiting from Norway, and would love to meet with fellow Bandsters. My next trip is scheduled for Sept 30 - Oct 6th. I often combine my trips with a couple of days in Qatar or Bahrain. Anyone located in either country?

Best regards,

Debbie in Norway

Hi Debbie

I'm not quite a former bandster....still have the band.....stil 210 pounds and still struggling.

There is a lot of hospitals in the UAE that now do the band so yes,there must be a lot of bandsters....

Thing is people seem to really want to protect there identity and dont really admit to having the band...

I have only know 2 other people that had the band and one now lives in Japan and the other girl's also moved back home...

This place dont really believe in support groups of any kind and people seem to just get on with it....

Hope someone responds.

Hi Desertmom!

What a sad message! :cry I'm surprised to read that you are still a Bandster. I thought that you had decided to have your band removed? You sent me a private e-mail a few months ago suggesting that possibility. :wacko:

How strange that there are no support groups for Bandsters in Dubai! That's very unusual, isn't it? We are now 10 Bandsters in Norway, but I haven't met any of them yet because they live up north. We don't have a support group for us ourselves, but we are members of a bigger group for all weight loss patients in Norway. Approx. 300 members.

The other Bandsters in the UAE are probably expats as well, don't you think? What are the other hospitals performing Gastric Band Surgery besides The Hospital of the Emirates? Does the Am. Hospital also perform weight loss surgery? I'd like to drop by and enquire about a fill because I need a new one.

If you'd like to get together while I'm in Dubai, just send me a private e-mail to make the arrangements.

Best regards,

Debbie in Norway

Hi

Belhoul Hopsital (I think it is dr Wahleed)and American Hospital does it as well as some other places..it is not widely advertised as Emirates hospital.

No,no support group.I actually get the idea that the band is also quite popular with the locals and of course Emirates does quite a few people that just fly in and back home afterwards...only met one expat lady that also said she has the support of her psycologist (didnt even know they existed here) and that she doesnt want anyone else to know she has the band.

I still have problems with the band ALL THE TIME.My weight is stuck at about 210 pounds and I pb all the time...I've had 2 unfills in the past 2 months and am at about 5mls in the band now.....reflux at night,but not to bad and cannot eat healthy stuff.....junk seems to still be fine.....(I never use to get why people would eat junk and complain about not losing weight...I know now....it is just sometimes easier than battling the band)

I have been for scopes.Band is on the esophagus not stomach but it doesnt seem to be damaging the esophagus itself.....dr's however tell me the band cannot be doing what it is suppose to be doing in this position....my surgeon says that is where they put the band....

I will have the band removed but as I've said in my mail only when I get to my goal weight....and I will get there.Sometimes I just take a little hihatus and then I go again....

Anyway,I'll mail you about your visit....

Hi Desertmom!

A quick question for you. Is there a Curves for women gym in Dubai? Curves is located in 35 countries throughout the world, but perhaps not in the UAE. I hope so because I recently joined.

I looked at the websites for various hospitals in Dubai and only found Gastric Band Surgery info for two: The Emirates Hospital and The American Hospital. There are 3 different surgeons listed in the Laparscopic section, but I gather that the German surgeon, Dr. Ludvig Feidler is probably the doctor who performs weight loss surgery.Gastric Band Surgery is offered on that list. I think I will give both hospitals a call today and see if it is possible to schedule a fill appt for next week. I'm up to 6cc in my Swedish Adjustable Band which holds 10cc. I haven't had a fill in months and have gone up and down 5 kg since Christmas. Still have a good 15 kg to lose.

Debbie in Norway

hi Debbie

No,no curves....sorry.Most of the hotels have excellent gyms (if you're staying in one) or some of the compounds have big gyms that you can use (the one here is about 25dhs a day in the week and 35 over weekends which is thursday,friday and saturday at present)

Dr Tabarra at the American hospital does the gastric banding (I know there is another surgeon but dont know him) Dr Basha at Emirates does the banding and dr Wahleed at Belhoul hospital....I dont know the german surgeon.At which hospital is he?I googled his name and came up with nothing.....I know that in Sharjah there's a dr.Gert Lepsen or something like that that apparantly also does the band.

I'm also bouncing 5kg's at the moment and it is frustrating.Im sure that a fill will be possible..only,Emirates does not have the facility to do fills with fluroscope or x-ray.....I dont know about american h.

Dr Basha at Emirates havent missed my port once in about the last year.even though some complained about his earlier lack of experience with fills,I've not had problems with that.He is a sweet man.I put emla on the port site and then I dont feel a thing.

ok,hope this helps.

Alta

Hi,

I was banded at Emirates Hospital in September and really wish there were a support group here. I have suggested it numerous times there, but they don't seem interested. Althought I live in Abu Dhabi, I could surely drive to Dubai now and then for a get-together.

But just to share info about doctors and resources by email would be a great help. Although I am doing fine post-op (except for the massive hungrys before I reach restriction), I would really appreciate having some banded buddies in the region.

Desertmom, I read your journal last week and felt so bad about all the troubles that you have had with your band. I really wish that things would get better for you.

TYK

just saw your messages I am in Kuwait have visited the Emirates hospital. Considering having the band within the next several months. Would like to speak with anyone in this area about the surgery. does anyone know if Aetna insurance pays for surgery in this region?

This group looks almost dead hope that there will be someone else from Dubai to share with.

I am planning to have the operation made by Dr. Gabi Wazz on the 22nd of Oct.

Please if there are any bandsters in Dubai lets talk.

Hi

I would like to know if anyone has done their banding with Dr. Gabi Waaz. How is he and how much did he charge. Anyother recommendation for any good doctor is welcome.

Thanks

Hi,

I have do the banding with Dr. Gabi Wazz and it cost me 28,000 dhs including all following visits and fills. He is very good - I have lost over 18 kg and continue loosing weight. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi.. I am from Dubai.. I really wanted to get some info regarding the hospitals doing it.. I know emirates and american hospital does it.. How much does it cost? Where is Dr Gabi Wazz located? Does the insurance cover the surgery? How was the treatment?? Pls reply.. I am in desperate need for help as i have scheduled an appointment with the dietician in emirates hospital next week and its costs me dhs 320 just for consulatation. If u know better doctors or hospitals pls let me know.. What was the procedure like??

I was banded in Doha at Al Amadi Hospital. (Private) the Governement hosp. does less expensive but you have a difficult time with followup. I've had my band for 17 months and have 10 cc fill. Lost 66 lbs(30 kgs) but it is work. Stalled right now. Hang in there.

Edited by eenerms
meant lbs instead of kgs

Hi!

Are there any Bandster support groups in Dubai? I know that the Emirates Hospital performs weight loss operations including Gastric Band Surgery, so there must be Bandsters in the UAE. I am only aware of Desertmom who is now a former Bandster.

I am in Dubai 2 - 4 X's / year, visiting from Norway, and would love to meet with fellow Bandsters. My next trip is scheduled for Sept 30 - Oct 6th. I often combine my trips with a couple of days in Qatar or Bahrain. Anyone located in either country?

Best regards,

Debbie in Norway

Hi there,

I live in Dubai and am scheduled for LAP-BAND® Surgery on January 12th with Dr. Basha.

I'd be happy to meet up during your next visit, and would enjoy meeting other bandsters in this region as well.

Kind Regards,

Jess

Hi all,

New here and I was looking for people in the UAE. I live in Dubai and met with Dr. Gabby Wazz and Dr. Abdulsalam al taie. I am considering the Lapband or the Sleeve. love to hear your experience with the lap and happy to meet up with all of you. Thanks