Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I am 5 months post op and have lost 140 pounds, everything with my weight loss has been going great. OK I know that chewing tobacco is bad and that I should quit. But I am curious if there is anyone else out there that is post op and chews? Was anyone told by their doctor to not chew post op for reasons other than the normal health concerns?

I have been chewing for the 20+ years off and on (I have tried to quit several times). I managed to quit before my surgery and managed to not chew until a couple of weeks ago. I am going through a divorce and I am starting to get my pre-op hunger levels back so with all of the stress I fell off the wagon. I have not found anything on smokeless tobacco and vertical sleeve surgery. Everything I find is about smoking.

Thanks

I know smoking hinders the healing process, I'm guessing that dipping does the same thing.

one thing you could do is switch to snoos (i think that's how it's spelled). that is at least LESS likely to cause you cancer in your mouth. it comes in little packets & they strain the tar & junk out of it.. my dad uses that... and he doesn't spit it out.

maybe a start to weening you off of it. :)

in any case, i wish you the best & think it's awesome that you've lost 140lb! that is AWESOME! :) keep up the good work!

Number one: if you can't help dipping at least don't swallow. It jacks up your gut and esophagus.

I don't dip, I used to smoke. So I can't add any great advice, other than quitting tobacco can be accomplished. It's tough, but can be done.

to me, dipping is the equivalent of eating an entire chocolate cake..... It's delicious when youre stressed but bad for you in the long run....

just ask yourself, WHY did you get the sleeve? To be healthier, right? Then why do something like dip if it means you aren't going to be healthy?

to me, dipping is the equivalent of eating an entire chocolate cake..... It's delicious when youre stressed but bad for you in the long run....

just ask yourself, WHY did you get the sleeve? To be healthier, right? Then why do something like dip if it means you aren't going to be healthy?

I quit smoking years ago. I can't imagine what it would've been like to give up tobacco and eating at the same time. Especially since smoking blunts the appetite. I don't know if chew does or not, but I would guess I gained 30-40+ pounds just because I quit smoking.

I quit smoking years ago. I can't imagine what it would've been like to give up tobacco and eating at the same time. Especially since smoking blunts the appetite. I don't know if chew does or not, but I would guess I gained 30-40+ pounds just because I quit smoking.

you'll never know until you try ;)

I had to quit smoking for two months before my surgeon will do surgery. I used chantex. It worked great but what a weird pill. I was determined to quit but I could not go cold turkey. Someone would have probably died. At the same time I had a failed lap band removed. So it turned into an eat a thon. I gained25 pound easy, I get my sleeve surgery Tuesday. Not a day too soon. Can't wait to get back on track. Hope you can get off the chew

Today starts day three without a dip...wish me luck...then I'll quit talking about it and get back to living my life...

I don't dio but my husband does an he hasn't been able to quit- he's tried several times and we've nearly divorced during that time lol. From what I understand it's even harder to quit than smoking because your a getting much more nicotine when u dip......:/

Today starts day three without a dip...wish me luck...then I'll quit talking about it and get back to living my life...

You don't need luck...... You're stronger than that little round can. You are doing this. Failure is not an option.......... COWBOY UP!!!

Hows it going, I am a week post op and want a chew real bad.

I like to chew nicotine gum. I have quit dipping for pre op and I have always been a lucky smoker as I can smoke a cig only when having a drink. I plan to quit drinking when i go on the liquid pre op diet. Any input from readers as I don't really remember this being discussed at the doctors office?

I am facing the same dilemma concerning quitting dipping tobacco. I am trying to decide if I want the bariatric surgery and been told I need to quit dipping before I can have the surgery. I am willing to quit pre surgery and for a while post surgery BUT, I REALLY DO NOT HAVE ANY DESIRE TO QUIT DIPPING. I understand the health risks associated with dipping and am willing to live with that. Am 61 years old and have already given up drinking and smoking and cut way back on what I eat but still need to lose weight (about 60 lbs.). All the response to this post are still about smoking and long term health associated with dipping. As previously stated, I want to dip and am willing to live with the risks. So, the question is, how will dipping post surgery effect the healing process for surgically repaired area and at what point can I dip again after surgery? Any info out there on this?

A person who uses smokeless tobacco gets 3 to 4 times the amount of nicotine as a smoker. A person who uses 8 to 10 dips or chews a day gets the same amount of nicotine as a heavy smoker who smokes 30 to 40 cigarettes a day.

The nicotine in smokeless tobacco is absorbed by the body more slowly than in smoking. But it stays in the body longer. As for hindering healing post-op, seems there haven't been enough studies done to be conclusive for dipping.

My unprofessional guess is that whether nicotine is smoked, vaped or dipped, it's still in your system...hindering healing. For those who choose not to quit, I've read to stop 6 weeks before surgery and 6 weeks after. But between the tars and acids you ingest with dipping, it will probably increase your future ulcer risk tenfold. Yikes!!