Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

I just joined VST and I'm looking to gain some support, make some friends and also gain some input on your experiences with the sleeve! I'm 44 and I'm sick and tired of this weight up and down yo-yo I've been on for close to 30 yrs. I've been blessed with 3 beautiful children and a hubby who loves me just the way I am... problem is I don't love me just the way I am. I'm so upset with how I look its almost an embarrassment for me to be anywhere but home, but unfortunately, that isn't an option for me, so I'm just beyond self conscious.

I was originally going to get the lap band and after fighting with the insurance company, I finally got approved 2 weeks ago, however after serious consideration, I decided that wasn't for me. I have PCOS, Insulin Resistance (and totaly inability to lose and maintain any weight loss as a result of the IR), high bp, high cholesterol and overall hatred for how I look. I've gone up and down since I was a teenager, but now it's become impossible to keep the weight off. After talking with my surgeon he introduced me to the sleeve and agreed lap band was not going to be as effective for me. Now of course, I have to get my approval changed to the sleeve, but that is ok, I have time. I'm traveling very heavily between now and Nov 10th both personal and work, so we decided it was best to wait as I can't really be traveling across the country and just have had this procedure done. Waiting is both good and bad for me. I want to lose the weight NOW... but I've fought it for 30 years, what is 3 more months in the grand scheme of things?

I'd love to hear from folks who just had it done and your experience with it so far. I want to know everything you care to share with me! :) How was the pain after surgery? How long did it take? How long until you felt good and were up and mobile? What is the one thing you weren't prepared for or expected? Any complications?? I'm always a "needs to know" kind of person! :) I'm also scared of cutting 1/2 of my stomach off... doesn't seem natural, but I know it's the best thing to do if I want to lose this weight....

For those of you who are a few years out, how are you doing? How do you feel? Any regrets? Any long term effects or problems you are now experiencing? This is permanent, so I want to hear it all! I've spoken with a lot of people who wish they never had the band, so I wonder how folks feel about the sleeve. The band can be removed, the sleeve can't! I also know a close friend who had the by-pass and one who had the band. Those aren't for me.

Anyone who has PCOS who has had the sleeve, please please share your expereinces as well and let me know if it's helped to maintain the weight loss and with the Insulin Resistance.

Thank you so much for anything you are willing to share with me! I'm scared to death, but know I need to do this. Now the wait until Nov begins!

Karen

I haven't had surgery yet but wanted to welcome you to VST :) I am scheduled for surgery on Sept 14th and have found TONS of support, info and new friends here!

I had horrible nerve pain and had to be cared for, for about the first 4 weeks. I had to have help to sit down and stand. I could not lie down in bed for close to 3 weeks. I sat each night on the couch and had to call my husband to help me if I wanted to move at all. Once I could lie down, it too had to be with assistance. I was not prepared for all of that. I mainly heard the stories of how easy it was and how life was getting back to normal. I am in no way trying to discourage you; I am SO GLAD (now at 6 weeks) that I had the surgery. I think my case is probably not typical, but it is what happened to me. I wish you the very best in your journey.

Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm hoping to find the same, friends and support! :) Good luck with your surgery, please let me know how you're doing afterwards!

Carie,

Thank you for sharing, it's important to know the good with the bad so that an educated decision can be made! did your doctor give you any reason for why you were feeling like that? I haven't heard of that side effect before but then again, as you said, everyone is different, so it's a possibility for anyone to have that kind of issue!

Hope you are doing better now!

Karen

Karen

I have had al the same feelings and questions too. I found it very hard to like myself in my own skin. My husband of course would say he loved me the way I am, but as you said I didnt love me. I had the sleeve done 5 days ago, I feel it's been a life changing event. The thing that I felt most important is that this was for me no one else.

The pain was really not too bad, the first two days were the worst. You will find all kins of info on this site and make some good friends it has helped me tremendously.

Welcome to VST. Dawn

Welcome to Vertical Sleeve Talk. I wish you well and congratulate you on chosing to improve your health. There s so much information and support here. My anniversary for 1 year is coming up on August 24. I am down 82lbs. For my experience with the surgery, it was virtually painless. I was up walking the ward as soon as I got back to my room. The only challenge I experience at first was finding the right amount of food my pouch could handle. It let me know when I had crossed the line.

I have only gone from 220 in November to 188 now. Losing our insurance then I lost my job in January put me in a couple of stalls. I realized I had not been eating properly so I started a 5 day pouch test I found on Living well after WLS. It allows you to break the carb cycle and get back to high Protein. I had been stuck at 194 for months. Since starting this test I have lost 7 lbs already.

So the important things I think are getting up and moving after surgery. Listen to your body after you get home. Get your daily Protein and Water limits. Exercise at least 3 days a week. Take your Vitamins.

Sorry for rambling,

Stephanie

Hi Dawn & Stephanie,

Thank you so much for responding and providing some information on how your first few days and time after that has gone! I hope that getting the sleeve in November will finally put me back on the right track! Something's gotta give and eventually work for me! I'm hoping this is it.. although it's scary!

Karen

Hi Karen I had my surgery on July 7 2012 I am self pay so I went Mexico to have it done. I went into surgery about 315 pm and was in my room at about 5 pm I was up walking around shortly after I got to my room the pain hit me about 11 pm that night I kept thinking it was gas pain but I finally ask for and was given pain meds I only needed some pain med the next day after that the pain was very minimal I did not have real bad pain at all and the meds keep it under control if you just ask for it before the pain gets out of control.

If I had to do it all over again I would I had a start weight of 280 I am now almost 210 I used to have to take Motrin for knee ankle pain daily but I don't have to anymore my blood pressure has come back to the normal but higher side so far but I am not on meds anymore I feel so much better now

James

Welcome

My operation will be on Sunday

I will tell you how things go so you can know

I feel u

I am excited and cannot wait to start loosing weight

But the operation scares me

Having to remove most of my stomach sounds horrifying to me

But I am doing it

James, thank you so much for your response and the information you provided. Sounds like you are doing great! I hope that one day I will be able to say the same thing! :)

Soha, good luck on Sunday! Please keep me posted on how you are doing!!

Hi Everyone,

I just joined VST and I'm looking to gain some support, make some friends and also gain some input on your experiences with the sleeve! I'm 44 and I'm sick and tired of this weight up and down yo-yo I've been on for close to 30 yrs. I've been blessed with 3 beautiful children and a hubby who loves me just the way I am... problem is I don't love me just the way I am. I'm so upset with how I look its almost an embarrassment for me to be anywhere but home, but unfortunately, that isn't an option for me, so I'm just beyond self conscious.

I was originally going to get the lap band and after fighting with the insurance company, I finally got approved 2 weeks ago, however after serious consideration, I decided that wasn't for me. I have PCOS, Insulin Resistance (and totaly inability to lose and maintain any weight loss as a result of the IR), high bp, high cholesterol and overall hatred for how I look. I've gone up and down since I was a teenager, but now it's become impossible to keep the weight off. After talking with my surgeon he introduced me to the sleeve and agreed lap band was not going to be as effective for me. Now of course, I have to get my approval changed to the sleeve, but that is ok, I have time. I'm traveling very heavily between now and Nov 10th both personal and work, so we decided it was best to wait as I can't really be traveling across the country and just have had this procedure done. Waiting is both good and bad for me. I want to lose the weight NOW... but I've fought it for 30 years, what is 3 more months in the grand scheme of things?

I'd love to hear from folks who just had it done and your experience with it so far. I want to know everything you care to share with me! :) How was the pain after surgery? How long did it take? How long until you felt good and were up and mobile? What is the one thing you weren't prepared for or expected? Any complications?? I'm always a "needs to know" kind of person! :) I'm also scared of cutting 1/2 of my stomach off... doesn't seem natural, but I know it's the best thing to do if I want to lose this weight....

For those of you who are a few years out, how are you doing? How do you feel? Any regrets? Any long term effects or problems you are now experiencing? This is permanent, so I want to hear it all! I've spoken with a lot of people who wish they never had the band, so I wonder how folks feel about the sleeve. The band can be removed, the sleeve can't! I also know a close friend who had the by-pass and one who had the band. Those aren't for me.

Anyone who has PCOS who has had the sleeve, please please share your expereinces as well and let me know if it's helped to maintain the weight loss and with the Insulin Resistance.

Thank you so much for anything you are willing to share with me! I'm scared to death, but know I need to do this. Now the wait until Nov begins!

Karen

Karen,

First of all, if you're going to a surgeon experienced in sleeve surgery, he'll removed about 85% of your stomach!! As barbaric as it sounds.....it's wonderful. Forced Portion Control.< /p>

I had my surgery in June of 2010, so I'm just over 2 years out. I had no health issues, my BMI was 36, but I fought to maintain 228 lbs. I have to admit, a lot of my determination was pure ol' vanity. I wanted to be able to go shopping because it was fun, not because I HAD to have a new pair of pants or a new shirt. I hated shopping. My goal was to A) Not lose my hair and B) get into a size 8 I managed to do both, keep my hair and lose weight!!

I'm going to try and answer your questions and give you anwers that were important to me! I started taking Biotin a few months PRIOR to surgery. I've NEVER had a hair issue. I managed to lose 23 lbs before surgery, more than the doctor even required I lose, then I lost another 60'ish between the day of surgery and Nov. I reached my physician's goal just under five months. When I saw how easy and how quickly I was losing....I got to a size 8 lickity split....I readjusted and decided I could lose more! I wanted 5 lbs under the doctor's goal, which I accomplished before Christmas. Right at six months out. I kept losing and was kind of freaked out, I couldn't stop. After talking to the dietitian I started adding a couple of Snacks into my diet and gained some of the weight back. I had gotten down 18 lbs under Dr. D's goal.

I maintain without much trouble. I stay between 145 and 152 and I do not deprive myself of anything. I am not stupid, but i don't do without. If I creep up a lb or two more than I like, then I just adjust calories for about a week. I had NO HUNGER for months and months. Now what I call my 'new hunger' is more of an empty feeling, I know when I can or need to put something in there!! :) Losing this weight is THE easiest thing I've ever done. It just happens. We were told at the seminar that this is 'not a diet', it's a way of life. Well, until I reached goal, I treated it as the most important diet of my life. When you are NOT hungry, it isn't that difficult.

Pain after surgery was minimal. I used a flat pillow to prop under my tummy for about six weeks afterwards. I sleep on my side. I used pain medication for a little less than a week after leaving the hospital, and ONLY at night. During the day for about 10 days, I used a heating pad whenever I was sitting or laying around. A heating pad is a must in my book!! I had a hard time getting in my fluids, I started and ended EACH and EVERY day with a cup of skim milk, that does count as water!! It's good Protein and liquid!! I spent months watching the color of my urine. I hated it, but finally a nurse told me they 'prefer' Water but tea, coffee, all those things count. Life has been much easier since then. I usually drink Water only when I eat out....sadly!! I like to add some lemon and one of my Stivia packets. It's not lemonaide, just refreshing. I am not a lemonaide fan.

For me, NO REGRETS, no buyers remorse, EVER!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I was realy for this, I love it. I'd initially thought about getting the band, but after research and all, I knew it was not something I'd be happy with.....the sleeve is so easy! Nothing has been re-routed and there isn't a foreign in my body!

Follow the 'rules' and stick to it. There are ups and downs, and that is normal. I still weigh or measure my food when I'm home. I keep an on line food log, you'd be surprised how easy it is to eat over what you should, calorie wise.....and I like to keep track of my Protein. I weigh twice a day, I've been doing it since I got home from the hospital. The first time is so I'll know if I'm on track, at night when I weigh, it's a game. I guess what I'll weigh in the morning!! :) My doctor wants us to weigh daily, he said it is much easier to get back on track if you've gone up two, three or four lbs vs ten lbs!! Some folks never weigh unless they're at the doctor's office, or at home, once a week or once a month!!! Seriously??!!!!! WEIGH and WATCH IT. Yes, YOU will be up and down during the losing phase, we all are. I'd lose two lbs, go up a lb, down a lb and then finally the two lbs would be off for good. On to the next lb or two....same thing. I brought it up at a support group meeting (GO TO THEM!!!!) and found out that the one that were maintaining had done the same thing. Yay, I was normal. I did not let it get me down when nothing changed in my diet, but I was up a pound!!! It is what it is. I knew that I was eating 500 - 650 calories per day, I KNEW the weight would come off....and it did!!

I got down to a size four....A FOUR!!! My goal had initially been an 8!! I was thrilled. I can still wear a four but right now, a six is more comfortable. The four was just exciting, I've never worn a size 4!!

I attend a support group meeting almost every month, they are great, you get good info from others, and it's nice to give encouragement to folks who are newbies!!

I hope I've answered everything, if not....just ask!!! Good luck, you will love your sleeve!!!!

Karen,

First of all, if you're going to a surgeon experienced in sleeve surgery, he'll removed about 85% of your stomach!! As barbaric as it sounds.....it's wonderful. Forced Portion Control.< /p>

I had my surgery in June of 2010, so I'm just over 2 years out. I had no health issues, my BMI was 36, but I fought to maintain 228 lbs. I have to admit, a lot of my determination was pure ol' vanity. I wanted to be able to go shopping because it was fun, not because I HAD to have a new pair of pants or a new shirt. I hated shopping. My goal was to A) Not lose my hair and B) get into a size 8 I managed to do both, keep my hair and lose weight!!

I'm going to try and answer your questions and give you anwers that were important to me! I started taking Biotin a few months PRIOR to surgery. I've NEVER had a hair issue. I managed to lose 23 lbs before surgery, more than the doctor even required I lose, then I lost another 60'ish between the day of surgery and Nov. I reached my physician's goal just under five months. When I saw how easy and how quickly I was losing....I got to a size 8 lickity split....I readjusted and decided I could lose more! I wanted 5 lbs under the doctor's goal, which I accomplished before Christmas. Right at six months out. I kept losing and was kind of freaked out, I couldn't stop. After talking to the dietitian I started adding a couple of Snacks into my diet and gained some of the weight back. I had gotten down 18 lbs under Dr. D's goal.

I maintain without much trouble. I stay between 145 and 152 and I do not deprive myself of anything. I am not stupid, but i don't do without. If I creep up a lb or two more than I like, then I just adjust calories for about a week. I had NO HUNGER for months and months. Now what I call my 'new hunger' is more of an empty feeling, I know when I can or need to put something in there!! :) Losing this weight is THE easiest thing I've ever done. It just happens. We were told at the seminar that this is 'not a diet', it's a way of life. Well, until I reached goal, I treated it as the most important diet of my life. When you are NOT hungry, it isn't that difficult.

Pain after surgery was minimal. I used a flat pillow to prop under my tummy for about six weeks afterwards. I sleep on my side. I used pain medication for a little less than a week after leaving the hospital, and ONLY at night. During the day for about 10 days, I used a heating pad whenever I was sitting or laying around. A heating pad is a must in my book!! I had a hard time getting in my fluids, I started and ended EACH and EVERY day with a cup of skim milk, that does count as water!! It's good Protein and liquid!! I spent months watching the color of my urine. I hated it, but finally a nurse told me they 'prefer' Water but tea, coffee, all those things count. Life has been much easier since then. I usually drink Water only when I eat out....sadly!! I like to add some lemon and one of my Stivia packets. It's not lemonaide, just refreshing. I am not a lemonaide fan.

For me, NO REGRETS, no buyers remorse, EVER!!! I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I was realy for this, I love it. I'd initially thought about getting the band, but after research and all, I knew it was not something I'd be happy with.....the sleeve is so easy! Nothing has been re-routed and there isn't a foreign in my body!

Follow the 'rules' and stick to it. There are ups and downs, and that is normal. I still weigh or measure my food when I'm home. I keep an on line food log, you'd be surprised how easy it is to eat over what you should, calorie wise.....and I like to keep track of my Protein. I weigh twice a day, I've been doing it since I got home from the hospital. The first time is so I'll know if I'm on track, at night when I weigh, it's a game. I guess what I'll weigh in the morning!! :) My doctor wants us to weigh daily, he said it is much easier to get back on track if you've gone up two, three or four lbs vs ten lbs!! Some folks never weigh unless they're at the doctor's office, or at home, once a week or once a month!!! Seriously??!!!!! WEIGH and WATCH IT. Yes, YOU will be up and down during the losing phase, we all are. I'd lose two lbs, go up a lb, down a lb and then finally the two lbs would be off for good. On to the next lb or two....same thing. I brought it up at a support group meeting (GO TO THEM!!!!) and found out that the one that were maintaining had done the same thing. Yay, I was normal. I did not let it get me down when nothing changed in my diet, but I was up a pound!!! It is what it is. I knew that I was eating 500 - 650 calories per day, I KNEW the weight would come off....and it did!!

I got down to a size four....A FOUR!!! My goal had initially been an 8!! I was thrilled. I can still wear a four but right now, a six is more comfortable. The four was just exciting, I've never worn a size 4!!

I attend a support group meeting almost every month, they are great, you get good info from others, and it's nice to give encouragement to folks who are newbies!!

I hope I've answered everything, if not....just ask!!! Good luck, you will love your sleeve!!!!

Wow! You are truly an inspiration. You have answered for me all the things I have been thinking, wondering, needing to know. I will be one week post op tomorrow. I was a size 4 for alot of years, but it has been a long time. My bmi was 36 also, but I am 4'11". I turn 50 next year and I want to be a size 6 for my birthday in april. Thank you for saying no regrets and that you would do it again because I have had serious moments of anxiety and tears since the surgery and I truly was ready. Hearing your story has made my night! Thank you

Thank you so much for all of your replies. NtvTXn your story is so inspiring and the information provided is very helpful! I'm in agreement wtih NCSleever63, it does relieve some of the anxiety that I'm feeling over it. I have to wait until November for my surgery strictly because of my travel schedule, but I want to learn as much as I possibly can!

What is the liquid diet I'm hearing so much about before the surgery? My doctor said it's really only a day he requires a liquid diet. Could it be because I don't really need to lose anything before the surgery?

Thanks everyone! It's sooo good to meet people who have had the surgery and know what I'm feeling prior to it.

Karen

karen, i also have the pcos, ir, gaining with no end for seemingly no reason.... it sucks. i also am dealing with infertility. been off birth control for 18 mos without a single period. not ovulating. blah. i also thought about actual birth and pregnancy )i'm 27) andi want to be healthy BEFORE and not have a high risk pregnancy that usually comes with pcos if it could even happen with extreme measures.

i am getting sleeved 9/10. i am so excited and i have such a peace about it.

the lap band was my other consideration, but there is a lesser weight loss, and the possibility of slippage or stricture with vomiting, and with intention of pregnancy in the next few years, i do not want to risk emergency surgery or losing a child because of morning sickness.

roux n y seems far more risky, more complications, and harder to deal with for the rest of my life than i care to do. sleeving has been my #1 since day one.

good luck! :) keep us updated!