Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Final "straw That Broke The Camels Back"

Thank you for all those who responded and for those who respond later. I am so glad I found this community to talk about the pains that we all have felt at one time or another and not be judged or looked down on. Good luck to all of us on are new life and cant wait for positive stories!

Respectfully,

Joe

Losing around 40 lbs. (the most I'd ever managed to lose by far) and then gaining it all back within a year or two plus another 20 lbs. (and that number kept going up) for good measure. I felt like I just couldn't do it - my whole life I've dreamt of finally conquering my weight issues and one day being a really small size (and staying there), but I finally realized that under normal circumstances, it just wasn't going to happen. In tha time period, a family acquaintance called my mother- he, his wife, and kids were all always massively obese, and they all had DS (wonder if they got a family rate?) and were all doing amazingly well. He and his wife were finally able to fly abroad (before that they would have needed 2 or maybe 3 seats) to the country we live in and that's when they gave us a call. My mother told me all about his call and suggested that I might want to look into it - till then WLS had never crossed my mind (I never thought I was heavy enough for it, and I actually wasn't really until that last weight loss + subsequent gain) but after thinking about it and researching the whole thing for quite a while, decided that this was probably the only option left for me. When the surgeon saw all my bloodwork etc. and informed me that I was in pre-diabetic stage, I knew that I had made the right choice.

being turned down for life insurance.... and not being able to tie my shoes

Don't really have a "final" straw. More a series of events in my life. When i was 17, my mother took my friends and I to six flags. I was able to fit on most rides, but one ride i got in the seat and couldnt buckle the overhead harness. It took 3 workers to get me in the seat. Two of the workers pushed on the overhead thingy while the 3rd worker buckled me in. I held the ride up for a few min. Pretty embarassing moment. But I was 17, i brushed it off and laughed about it. Since that day I have yet to attempt to go on any rides. Now that I have a 5 month old daughter, I would love to take her on roller coasters/rides, when old enough. I pretty much wanna be able to run around the yard with her and not be in pain(4 herniated disc) or sweating like a beast. I wanna be able to buy clothes in the mall, instead of shopping at certain stores because they have a " Big n Tall" section. I wanna be able to sit in a booth at a resturaunt with out the table in my gut. I want a healthy lifestyle for my family. My cholesterol has been creeping up. Both parents are diabetic, which im not YET. Blood pressure is still normal. I'm not on any medications. I wanna take control of this "disease" before it gets outta control. Sorry for the rant. So many other things I miss doing.

mine was not being able to have the energy to do anything with my family. I was just sleeping my days away. problem fixed!

I injured my knee last year causing my to gain 40+ lbs (possibly more- I don't know my heighest weight) I had always been very mobile and active for someone mg size (300+) and after that I felt truly helpless and immobile. It was the worst feeling ever. My knee is still kind of messed up and I know weight loss will help. Honestly I feel like I've 'outgrown' this city- NYC it's just NOT a good place to be fat in. There is so much walking, stairs, turnstyles- it's almost impossible to be far here and live okay- at least THIS fat. I want my life back, that's what I realized and that's my main motivation for surgery- to live a normal life here.

Mine was a BMI 44 and getting diagnosed with hyperglycemia, severe sleep apnea, fatty liver and cholesterol almost equal to my weight 298 weight was 317 all at once. Time for change

When I got to the point when I couldn't put on socks..... had someone do that for me :(.... took me an hour to try to cut my toe nails, after struggling, huffing & puffing, couldn't play with my two girls or take them out for a walk..... standing up for more then 2 minutes was a pain... and one month before my surgery when I had an almost stroke, couldn't breath right and my feet were so swollen they looked like something out of a horror movie....

Having the capillaries in my legs burst while on vacation to Disney World with my family. I was in pain nonstop, on what was an otherwise amazing trip. I'll be half the person I was before I get back to see the mouse!

For me, it was the family vacation pictures from this years trip to the Smoky Mtns. We rented a pontoon boat pulling a tube. The pictures made me look like I was just huge, and in reality I was/am

We also went whitewater rafting twice, and those pictures proved to me that I was the biggest person on the river. I got home from the trip and weighed in on my bathroom scale and it said I was 338lbs. The next week, I was at a customer location and I stepped on the freight scale and it said 372lbs. I knew then that my scale at home had maxd out.....and that I had to do something.

I had VSG on Aug 20, 2012

Hi Im an Aussie one of the reason for me is when the family went to Ayers Rock there was alot of walking and we were going to this beautiful place called Standley Chasmen and what happened I fell over my hubby couldnt get me up and this other men help so I had to go back to the bus even getting on the bus was hard.

I missed out on a beautiful site.

Julie

For me it was several things. I've researched WLS for several years, just never did anything about it. Then I started having health issues and being on the verge of Diabetes at the age of 34. My father dropped dead of massive heart attack at the age of 51 - he was tall, skinny, and healthy (just a work-a-holic). I started having severe heart palpatations after my second daughter was born, and was diagnosed with a cardiac arrythmia. I'm on a beta blocker for that and my blood pressure. My triglycerides are through the roof. I have high cholesterol.

But the thing that really pushed me over the edge to make to proceed with this surgery was the day my Kindergartener came home and told me a story about how some of her classmates had been making fun of me and my size/weight to her at school. She was sad they did that, and I never want her to have to feel like she has to stand up for me again. I should be protecting her, not the other way around!! That day broke my heart and made me see the light.

I had a few straws that broke the camels back, my mom had her first massive heart attack at age 49 ill be 44 next wednesday. I am on 4 blood pressure meds and they still could not control it. My mother died at age 53, I dont want my kids to be without me. I am a Restaurant Manager and I dont care what anyone says it is a male dominated business, I got passed up for a promotion for a male that had just joined the company and had less experience than me. Well now when im at goal i will have to confidence to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH dont judge me by my looks ..... I am a strong beautiful and intellegent woman who deserves to be recognized and in the end im gonna be the one to say KISS MY ASS,,,,,, and look for a job that will respect me for the hard and dedicated worker that i am ,,,,, love all these posts you all are such an inspiration ......