Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well it seems that I have already started to loose some of this weight.. and I had no clue I was even losing! I found myself with no clean pants the other day and found a clean pair that I had put up to give away because they were too small on me. I figured eh why not try them on? I was shocked that not only did they fit they were kind of loose on me! So I thought hey I'll weigh myself..lo and behold lost 31 lbs! I was shocked! I have changed my eating habits a lot because I was told to do this before I go into surgery so I get use to it now. So I've cut out sugar, pop, eating late at night. I drink more Water etc. I don't really work out due to physical issues (which have become increasingly easier I've noticed..but still I struggle). I'm so excited!

I went to Doctor Fegelman at Jewish Hospital in Cincinnati. My BMI was 60. He was not really worried about my BMI but more if i could get into the correct position on the operating table. i am 6 foot 4 and at the time of surgery i was 490 pounds. He did warn me that if i could not get onto the table that i might have to have my procedure done at OSU. luckily i fit on the table. Current down to 338 pounds.

He is partnered with Curry. Did you like Fegelman? What was his prices like? I don't know if they would be the same as Curry or not? And was they more worried about your weight or your height when it came to the table?

And congrats on the weight loss!!

I went to Doctor Fegelman at Jewish Hospital in Cincinnati. My BMI was 60. He was not really worried about my BMI but more if i could get into the correct position on the operating table. i am 6 foot 4 and at the time of surgery i was

490 pounds. He did warn me that if i could not get onto the table that i might have to have my procedure done at OSU. luckily i fit on the table. Current down to 338 pounds.

My BMI was 54, and I wasn't required to lose prior to surgery. I think that could be due to your insurance provider as well because surgeon made that that comment that I wasn't required to lose prior.

I was at 62.4

Did surgery just fine!

He is partnered with Curry. Did you like Fegelman? What was his prices like? I don't know if they would be the same as Curry or not? And was they more worried about your weight or your height when it came to the table?

And congrats on the weight loss!!

I like Dr Fegelman and i prefer him over other surgeons because he is the chief surgeon at Jewish hospital. He is a straight shooter and the care that i received from him and his team was great. as far as prices im not sure. insurance paid for most of the surgery and hospital. i paid 3000 dollars total after everything was said and done. I don't know doctor Curry so i cant speak to his merits but i will say that i would not want anyone else performing surgery on me except Dr. Fegelman. They were more worried about me fitting onto the operating table and being able to position the laparoscopic tools correctly than my height or weight. i am one of his largest patients.

Do you know if he does surgery at Journey Lite also? Dr. Fegelman that is? I'm sorry for all the questions.

I like Dr Fegelman and i prefer him over other surgeons because he is the chief surgeon at Jewish hospital. He is a straight shooter and the care that i received from him and his team was great. as far as prices im not sure. insurance paid for most of the surgery and hospital. i paid 3000 dollars total after everything was said and done. I don't know doctor Curry so i cant speak to his merits but i will say that i would not want anyone else performing surgery on me except Dr. Fegelman. They were more worried about me fitting onto the operating table and being able to position the laparoscopic tools correctly than my height or weight. i am one of his largest patients.

Do you know if he does surgery at Journey Lite also? Dr. Fegelman that is? I'm sorry for all the questions.

I received a letter in the mail stating that he was leaving Jewish hospital for a medical director job at Johnson and Johnson so unfortunately he is no longer performing surgery at all. sorry for the bad news. My surgery was done through the Jewish Weight loss center. im not sure if there surgeons perform the sleeve surgery at different locations. for more information check the link. http://www.morethanadiet.com/

My current BMI is 84 and my doctor wants me to lose at least 35 pounds for surgery. That would make my BMI about 77. :-/

What I don't get is that the vertical sleeve was originally intended for very high BMI patients who due to their BMI, were a poor risk for the duadnal switch. So the doctor would do the "quick and easy" part of the surgery(what is now known as VSG) and then hope the patient could lose sufficient weight from just the sleeve in order to bring the BMI down enough to be a good risk for the full DS at a later time. So if the Vertical Sleeve was created in the first place especially for for people with very high BMI, Why would doctors now be demanding you BMI be under 50 in order to qualify?

My current BMI is 84 and my doctor wants me to lose at least 35 pounds for surgery. That would make my BMI about 77. :-/

Tina, I have a goal of losing 40 pounds by surgery getting me under 300 for the first time in 10 years!!! I'm doing a twelve week 800 calorie high Protein VLCD. It ain't easy, but it sure will be worth it! WE can DO IT. No sweat... (ok maybe a little sweat :-p )

What I don't get is that the vertical sleeve was originally intended for very high BMI patients who due to their BMI' date=' were a poor risk for the duadnal switch. So the doctor would do the "quick and easy" part of the surgery(what is now known as VSG) and then hope the patient could lose sufficient weight from just the sleeve in order to bring the BMI down enough to be a good risk for the full DS at a later time. So if the Vertical Sleeve was created in the first place especially for for people with very high BMI, Why would doctors now be demanding you BMI be under 50 in order to qualify?[/quote']

I was over 50 when I was sleeved. Maybe it is just one (or two) doctors that require a low BMI. I would shop around.

Tina' date=' I have a goal of losing 40 pounds by surgery getting me under 300 for the first time in 10 years!!! I'm doing a twelve week 800 calorie high Protein VLCD. It ain't easy, but it sure will be worth it! WE can DO IT. No sweat... (ok maybe a little sweat :-p )[/quote']

Awesome! Good luck to you! :-)

I have read/heard that many surgeons will not do WLS if someone's BMI is over 50. I was wondering if anyone have experienced this? As of right now my BMI is around 70' date=' and to get down to 50 I would have to lose almost 100lbs! I was just wondering if anyone else had to lose a great deal of weight before getting WLS due to high BMI[/quote']

Its important to lose the weight so u shrink ur liver to lessen chance of complications

Its important to lose the weight so u shrink ur liver to lessen chance of complications

No way is asking a patient to lose 100 pounds for "liver shrinking" purposes.. I won't argue that the liver shrink is important, but the most I've ever heard of is a doctor requiring an 8 week pre-op diet in someone with a very severely fatty liver.... and the liver shrink isn't done with a BMI cut off.