Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Hubby Keeps Eating My Food!

My hubby who is 6ft 4in and not overweight keeps eating my food that is meant for my weight loss. It started when I was drinking Ensure High Protein during my pre-op diet. He would take one every morning and drink it on his way to work. Now he has started eating my string cheese, and my Greek yogurt cups, my crystal light. I know it shouldn't bother me but it really does. There are so few things that I am supposed to eat, and I have to get a certain amount of protein in, and he keeps eating it!!!!

I know that he doesn't do it to get under my skin, but he does it because he grazes and he likes convenient foods. He is the kind of guy that would rather have juice boxes in the fridge rather than make juice from frozen.

I am not too sure what to do about this, and I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this and how they have handled it!

Thanks

I put my stuff in a separate cabinet and I warned him-- don't go in there or else!! If it is out of his sight in a place he has no reason to go into- there is a good chance that he will stop.

I don't think I understand the problem. :-) He's eating food that's healthy and good for him, right? If he's eating yours instead of "his" regular food, just change over and buy double your stuff and let him eat--no need to waste money buying stuff if nobody's eating it!

At our house, the entire contents of our fridge have changed for the better. Your hubbie may be seeing how much better you're looking and feeling--you may have motivated his change to a healthier diet and lifestyle! Just adjust your shopping to reflect the change. I personally Celebrate every time I see my husband eating great food, healthy food--because I remember the days of gravy, extra piles of spaghetti, and a 330+-pound husband (my DH is a sleever, too!). No more, and I get to keep him with me longer!!

Well buy enough for him too...what's the problem here??? You should want your family to adopt a healthy lifestyle, it will be easier for you to adjust...esspecially after surgery....one of the reasons why I like being single and have no kids, I dont have to worry about no one but myself....

So if someone comes in my house and touch my food, all bets will be off, and you may get cussed out...

One of the many reasons why I like being single....lol

It is not that I mind him eating healthy food, but I have my stuff in smaller portions, and where I will eat 1 cheese stick a day he will eat 4 or 5. There is block of cheese he can cut bigger pieces from, but instead he eats the stuff that is portioned out for me.

Ensure shakes aren't cheap, and he will have one for Breakfast and a muffin and whatever else. I wouldn't mind if it was because he wanted to eat more healthy but it is just because it is easy for him.

Maybe this is a more deep seeded issue for me. I have always been very protective of my food, but this time it feels more personal for some reason.

It is not that I mind him eating healthy food, but I have my stuff in smaller portions, and where I will eat 1 cheese stick a day he will eat 4 or 5. There is block of cheese he can cut bigger pieces from, but instead he eats the stuff that is portioned out for me.

Ensure shakes aren't cheap, and he will have one for breakfast and a muffin and whatever else. I wouldn't mind if it was because he wanted to eat more healthy but it is just because it is easy for him.

Maybe this is a more deep seeded issue for me. I have always been very protective of my food, but this time it feels more personal for some reason.

If you feel its more deep than just the food, then you two need to have a sit down and talk it out...sometimes people do things without thinkings....like mindless eating...he can get away with it because he's at a healthy weight...but we know that we can't....that's why we had the surgery....

Talk to him, it wouldn't hurt, only help...keep the lines of communication open...because eating your problems away is no longer an option....

I have had this problem too, only with my kids. My husband is out of work right now and we dont have much money. I have to get my Protein. I buy for them, not junk food so much but things they need. They are small, not young, but small for their ages. My son is 18 and he weighs 110 pounds and my daughter is 100 pounds at 14. They are really active healthy kids but small in stature. They need whole milk and things with more fat in them their doc says. I buy them whole milk and me skim milk. They drink my milk first and then theirs. I cant drink thiers. Its like they have no respect for my needs.

I can understand you feeling this way about your husband doing this. Its not that you dont want him to eat healthy, its that he is going to eat yours and then the other stuff too! Its like he doesnt care what you need, he is being selfish and just taking what he wants without considering your needs. I think this deserves a talk with him about it. Seperate your food as best you can, hard to do in the fridge, but try and sit down and talk to him about it. I talked to my daughter about drinking all my muscle milk and explained how i needed it for my health and she can drink regular milk. I will let her have one occasionally but she has to ask me for it. I cant afford to buy those for two people when she can get plenty of nutrition in other ways. She just likes the taste of it, she is not drinking it for the protien.

I hope talking to him does the trick. He is probably unaware that this bothers you and I get that its the underlying thing about him not considering your needs, only his wants for convenience,etc.

My husband does the same exact thing. He let me sleep in a few mornings ago and I woke up to all of my kids eating my Protein bars which are 12.00 for 4! Hubby was too lazy to make them something. we go through crystal light like crazy I don't mind it tho cuz the kids think its kool aid so its much healthier for them. I just pack my high Protein supplements in my closet so that they don't get eaten so quickly.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using VST

I am hoping and praying this will happen when I have surgery. I keep warning them all that life is about to change for them as well. That's one of the reasons (of many) I want to do this. I will be the first to admit that my habits have inevitably affected my children. My husband likes healthy food but is also overweight becuse I buy the junk. People always say just don't buy it. The problem with that is if I want it- I will go get it. N or having it in my house would never stop me. BUT I will change that after this surgery - I've already stopped with drinking pop and thus the family will drink more Water too. So- I agree with the rest - buy more of what u eat. And then maybe separate the smaller portions out from theirs. Good luck!!

I'm sorry this is a problem for you, I can imagine that it'd be frustrating to go to get food and have it be not there or almost gone. Maybe the best place would be to tell him how you feel about it? Maybe he doesn't even really realize he's doing except for the thoughts that it's convenient and tasty. Kind of like "Oh, I'm in a rush today, maybe I'll just grab one of these" and it became a habit. I suppose if that doesn't work, you could always try and keep it somewhere out of the way (Though that's difficult with anything that needs to be refrigerated) so that he will hopefully leave it alone. Or buy extra and cut down on the things you usually buy him for breakfast/snacks? That way there could be enough for both of you.

If you can't eat his food, then start using his deodorant, his razors & shaving cream, wearing his socks, using his favorite mug, etc...

My husband eats food that i would normally eat and sometimes I eat his food. Usually we take a mental note of things that tend to get eaten up quickly and then we buy more of it. We also have 3 kids so everyone eats everyones food. I can't even eat the food off of my plate without my 9.5 month old wanting some, I'm lucky if I can eat every single bite on my plate without having to share it. This has been going on for 9yrs and I'm used to it but I'm sure in the beginning I hated it. My husband would much rather eat a salad that I cooked for myself, rather than make his own. He's that way with fruit also, I can probably count on 1 hand the amount of times that I've seen him get his own fruit from the frig but usually when he sees me with fruit he will ask can he have some or ask me to cut him up some watermelon while I'm getting mine. Sometimes it's annoying but over time I've become more tolerant and today when I was eating leftover hamburger with cheese and salsa, I asked him if he wanted some when he walked past and of course he takes 2 big spoonfuls lol. I've become so used to sharing that I usually ask him if he wants some of my food :) . Sorry for the endless rambling

I'm single so I don't have the problem at home, but I posted here about having the problem while out with friends. Early on I would take a lunch box with me everywhere to make sure I stayed track with my Protein. When I pulled out food, portiobed for me, everyone would want some. I think people don't get that were not mindlessly eating or snacking. Everything we eat is a calculated decision.

My whole family drinks my Protein Drinks in the mornings and I buy 4 to 6 cases at a time. I don't mind that. My husband has diabetes and is over weight to boot, and we eat out a lot. He refuses to share with me because he knows that he can take my left overs to work the next day. This doesn't really bother me right now. I do get bothered if we have a really good hamburger and he's looking for more. It's frustrating for me because i don't want him to gain any more weight than needed. He is always hungry! :(

My 14 year old son always drinks my Protein drinks. Which is the one thing I cringe at sharing. I buy the ready make drinks so it's $6 for 4 of them, so they dont come cheap. So I hide them, they do not have to be kept in the fridge. So before I go to bed I put one drink in the fridge and take it in the morning. As far as string cheese I just uh them for everyone. As far as yogurt I buy activia for me and buy the one with Cookies for my son, his yogurt looks so much better than mine, so it works. Good luck....