Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Defining A Higher Power

RickyDee,

I am sorry, and sadden to hear that you were abused spiritually. I am reading a book of selections by Max Lucado and he talks about Gods love. " God's love does not hinge on yours. The abundance of your love does not increase his. The lack of your love does not diminish his. Your goodness does not enhance his love, nor does your weakness dilute it.

God loves you simply because he has chosen to do so. He loves you when you don't feel lovely. He loves you when no one else loves you. Others may abandon you, divorce you, and ignore you, but God will love you. Always.No matter what.

Many blessing on Yom Kipper, day of Atonement!

Please forgive me...It's Yom Kippur

Ok....you asked.... ;)

Any "religion" that centers on man and man's power and ability is destined to fail.

The one true God of the Bible, who is the sovereign of the universe is the only one worthy of praise and glory. And that is our purpose. To glorify God. It is HIS wrath we are under, and He has gifted us with the answer to that problem through the Lord Jesus Christ because he loves us. God is not a power hungry ogre just waiting to cast us into Hell. He is perfect love and joy waiting with outstretched arms for us to answer His call.

We are not banging our fists on the gates of Heaven, wanting to be let in, yet He is keeping us at bay, instead... We are all running as fast and as hard as we can straight for Hell, but in His divine sovereignty and love he stops this one, and this one, and that one, turning us to Him and welcoming us into His family and Kingdom in eternal splendor. That's where I am.

I may have never been quite so vocal on this site about this subject, so I may lose friends, but... that's what I think and feel about it. The Holy Spirit confirms this in my soul.

Thank you so much for your eloquent response. You spoke my heart and faith! I pray this thread will continue to be open and loving and that each person can express their views in an attitude of acceptance.

I believe in God, 100%!

I believe in God, His son Jesus and His active force Holy Spirit. I appreciate His ransom sacrifice for our sins that we may have everlasting life.

My faith, in years past was tarnished like many of you; by priests, pastors, etc. that were only (hindsight) interested in a showy display. However it's by God's loving kindness that I have learned different through His word the Bible.

Man may help me to reason but Gods word, the Bible, is what teaches me. I'm no where near perfect, I'm learning something new with each page turned in my Bible but I know, for myself, God is real!

The concept of a Higher Power is a real deal breaker for some' date=' especially those who, like myself, were a part of abusive religion that was way more about "Power," than about "Higher" thinking.

As a recovering addict of Religion, it was a struggle to sit through a lot of the religious vs spirtual sharing I heard. Little by little, I was able to disconnect myself from the impact I felt from others to realize that the part, "of our [own'] understanding," was key to my own definition of Higher Power. Nowdays, I pray for "serenity, courage and wisdom." Much like the trinity I was raised on, this Higher Power suffices to meet my spiritual needs...

What are your thoughts and feelings regarding a Higher Power? {:>} rd

Amen to that

Thank you so much for your eloquent response. You spoke my heart and faith! I pray this thread will continue to be open and loving and that each person can express their views in an attitude of acceptance.

Thank you Jesus

When we are born again in Christ' date=' we are freed from the bondage of sin and death and decay. We have the God-granted ability and power to stop these things. When one is dead in transgression and sin, we are powerless to it. Christ sets the prisoner free in every way.[/quote']

Well said Amen!!

Im an Agnostic, I cant believe in the bible or a god anymore than I can believe in witches and wizards but because I do believe we have souls and cant fully explain at this moment I cant say im an Atheist...for me and my addictions (food sex love) I have to find it within myself to find peace, talking to some of the people who have hurt me. To forgive, and try every day to live my life in a positive way, to smile and try to make others smile. Dont think I added much to this thread but its a good topic